话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3]
Disturbing "featured translator" images...
论题张贴者: Andrew Levine
texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
I find it ironic Sep 5, 2007

I find that .gif ironic, just like the brilliant translator and clever person it represents and for whom I have a genuine professional respect.
She contributes to this site with her intelligence and generosity: when you see her “disturbing” .gif it’s because she is answering a question (often asked by somebody with a polished picture and a rusty dictionary).
That image expresses her unique personality and I don’t see any need for vetting or censoring here. On a very persona
... See more
I find that .gif ironic, just like the brilliant translator and clever person it represents and for whom I have a genuine professional respect.
She contributes to this site with her intelligence and generosity: when you see her “disturbing” .gif it’s because she is answering a question (often asked by somebody with a polished picture and a rusty dictionary).
That image expresses her unique personality and I don’t see any need for vetting or censoring here. On a very personal note, I think that we should use this section in a more constructive way.

Kind Regards

[Edited at 2007-09-05 01:22]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 22:18
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
纪念
DOGS! WHAT ABOUT DOGS!!!???? Sep 5, 2007

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

And, i'd love to see any professional site (not professional cartoonists but lawyers', doctors', alike where they would use pictures of their pets instead of their own photos)

Well, I had a "nice" photo of me (albeit taken about 7 years ago!), and a few people mentioned my smile. I love translating, but I ain't smiling while I'm workin' (and my smile ain't got nuthin' to do with what I produce!) ... So, to chill that, I put a photo of one of my dogs, my wonderful Brittany, Jake, as my avatar.

Now, as I seem to have to keep pointing out, I do not get any work via ProZ. Perhaps I'm damning myself by admitting that, but my current and future sources of work come to me from former (satisfied) clients.

So, what do I care if I put Jake, Jimmie and July up as my avatars???? It's nobody's d*** business. When someone on ProZ does something that I find less than professional, I simply remind myself that this person, as a consequence, is not going to get work (or if he or she do get a job, then they are working for people for whom I would not work). Case closed.

PS CAT LOVERS: PLEASE DO NOT ACT TOTALITARIAN TOWARD DOGS. THANKS AND LOVE, JAKE RLOL

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 07:18
会员
Dutch荷兰语译成English英语
+ ...
Animals rule whatever their shape or form Sep 5, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

[PS CAT LOVERS: PLEASE DO NOT ACT TOTALITARIAN TOWARD DOGS. THANKS AND LOVE, JAKE RLOL

Hi Jake,

If I could get my chocolate lab Brian (from Life of Brian) and my cat Harry (from Harry Potter) to dance with my Spiderman, I would

Have a woof on me,
Marijke

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 06:18
Flemish佛兰芒语译成English英语
+ ...
Both Sep 5, 2007

Rodrigo Mencía wrote:

Williamson wrote:
"the invoice with the dolphin" to refresh the memory of its recipient.

And I bet you never lost a client for having that lovely dolphin as your logo, am I right?

Right. Those professionals talking about professionalism should read "principles of marketing" by Ph.Kotler first and then start discussing the use of cats, dogs and other beasts. Many logos have become household names and some even world icons. Of course, the best combination is the combination of an icon with a face and a company name (legal person-) with a real name (which can be mentioned in the profile). Technically, this is possible.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
丹麦
正式会员 (自2003)
Danish丹麦语译成English英语
+ ...
If I had my way I'd ban the profiles without 'images' ;-) Sep 6, 2007

If I had my way, I would ban the profiles without images of some sort. They are just too boring. I have a visual memory and find it difficult to identify the person without some image. I'm comparatively good at remembering names - if I have a face or image to attach them to. But numbers, phone numbers, birthdays, addresses... I have to write them down or ask someone like my mother in law! It is amazing how different people are.<... See more
If I had my way, I would ban the profiles without images of some sort. They are just too boring. I have a visual memory and find it difficult to identify the person without some image. I'm comparatively good at remembering names - if I have a face or image to attach them to. But numbers, phone numbers, birthdays, addresses... I have to write them down or ask someone like my mother in law! It is amazing how different people are.

Then I would ban all the logos that move... they are too distracting. But smart, effective, and I would miss them as soon as they had gone. My personal pet hate is a beating tricuspid heart valve owned by an all-time KudoZ leader, but I'm probably only jealous. He has a great sense of humour and really helps lots of people out of tight spots. I don't like the 'gory' logo that started this discussion, but I sympathise - yesterday was just one of those days when I felt like that!

So pets, dolphins, portraits, logos or blushing brides, as long as they keep s t i l l ... long enough for me to remember who they are!

Happy translating - that 's the important thing after all.

[Edited at 2007-09-06 08:00]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
sofiablu (X)
sofiablu (X)
荷兰
Yes, yes, yes!!! Sep 7, 2007

[quote]laura_ms wrote:

I used to have cats and dogs on my profile, I then switched to a Mapplethorpe flower photograph. I am now very tempted to switch it to a more "mapplethorpish" theme image.)

Oh yes, please, one of his big, gorgeous, hot boys.

Can't wait!

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 22:18
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Enough Sep 7, 2007

ProZ.com already has enough censorship as it is.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 06:18
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
disagree Sep 10, 2007

I don't think we should be restricted to faces - though if I ever have a photo taken of me that I really like, I may put it up.

As I don't have such a thing, I used this image, for a particular reason - and no-one's ever worked out why

话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disturbing "featured translator" images...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »