Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

G'day everyone

When a user sends a mail via ProZ.com, ProZ.com should always and automatically include the user's profile number and/or URL. Some users even think that this is currently so, but it isn't.

Having posted a number of jobs, I can tell you that I receive many e-mails from users with absolutely no indication of who they are. When I write back to ask them, some of them are surprised that the information wasn't automatically included in the mail.

... See more
G'day everyone

When a user sends a mail via ProZ.com, ProZ.com should always and automatically include the user's profile number and/or URL. Some users even think that this is currently so, but it isn't.

Having posted a number of jobs, I can tell you that I receive many e-mails from users with absolutely no indication of who they are. When I write back to ask them, some of them are surprised that the information wasn't automatically included in the mail.

It would be so nice if ProZ.com could insert this information into the mail automatically.

What do you think?
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 00:36
Good idea Sep 16, 2008

That's a good idea. This way, the CV of the applicant is also immediately available to the outsourcer right off the profile. Being mindful of the general reluctance to receive e-mails with attachments from first-time correspondents, I generally don't send my CV unless requested to. This method does away with the need for sending a CV.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Information is available Sep 16, 2008

Hi Samuel,
This is the header of any e-mail sent through your ProZ.com profile:

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: (1)
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/xxxxxx
Author's IP address: (2)
-----------

(1) shows the username, and (2) the IP address used to send the message. The profile URL is clearly visible.

What am I missing?

Are you sure these messages were sent through ProZ.com? I noticed that you specified being contacted by e-mail in one of your job postings - any responses to this would be sent outside ProZ.com.

If you wish to receive quotes via ProZ.com, you can specify that when posting the job.

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is what I get Sep 16, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:
This is the header of any e-mail sent through your ProZ.com profile... (1) shows the username, and (2) the IP address used to send the message. The profile URL is clearly visible. ... What am I missing?

Here is what I get:

-----------
You have been sent a message regarding your
ProZ.com job posting: http://proz.com/job/12345
-----------

This is a copy of the message you sent:

And interestingly, the message starts directly after the colon... it doesn't even start on a new line. So the salutation is often on the same line as the colon. It also says "you" (i.e. the recipient) even though the recipient did not send the message.

[Edited at 2008-09-16 08:50]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Notified staff Sep 16, 2008

Thanks for the additional info; I have alerted ProZ.com staff to this topic.

Best, Ralf

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:06
SITE STAFF
Job contact notification Sep 16, 2008

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for reporting this. It looks like one of the job-related notifications is not working properly (notification of contact from a user in jobs where the contact method is via email). I have asked one of our developers to fix this.

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically include profile number in ProZ mails

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »