Trainings: can the term the site uses be changed? (Staff: Fixing)
Thread poster: Lanna Castellano
Lanna Castellano
Lanna Castellano  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:18
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2008

The offer of courses is impressive, but hasn't anyone yet said that the plural form 'trainings' doesn't exist in English, nor is there any such thing as "a training"? Training courses, or a training course, yes, or just simply training, or the more in-term "professional development". But ProZ shouldn't allow a heading that looks like translationese. What next? 'Informations'?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-20 16:12]

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:18
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
one training, two trainings, three trainings... Aug 20, 2008

Lanna, thanks for bringing this up again. I'm writing "again" because it's been discussed before: http://www.proz.com/topic/75734 .
It bothers me too.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky us Aug 20, 2008

It has been discussed before, but we are lucky to have Lanna Castellano here.

Best wishes,

Elías

[Edited at 2008-08-20 15:55]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:18
German to English
Training programs/programmes Aug 20, 2008

Unfortunately, "trainings" is widely used in the US to refer to training courses, even by otherwise reputable organizations.

U.S. PIRG, the federation of state Public Interest Research Groups

Training
Training leaders is a key part of the state PIRG mission. Depending on the position, new staff attend one to four national trainings in their first year, learning and honing the skills needed to get press attention for an issue, build coalitions from scratch, organi
... See more
Unfortunately, "trainings" is widely used in the US to refer to training courses, even by otherwise reputable organizations.

U.S. PIRG, the federation of state Public Interest Research Groups

Training
Training leaders is a key part of the state PIRG mission. Depending on the position, new staff attend one to four national trainings in their first year, learning and honing the skills needed to get press attention for an issue, build coalitions from scratch, organize a campaign from the ground up, raise funds, and manage volunteers, staff or an organization of their own.

We hold national, new-hire trainings throughout the year in our Boston office. Campus organizers and fellows also convene for national trainings in late July ....

http://www.pirg.org/jobs/about/benefits

But as an old trainer from the US, I will never use "trainings" myself and believe we are doing a disservice to everyone by imposing this truly awful neologism on our international community of translators.
Collapse

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 20, 2008

Lanna Castellano wrote:

But ProZ shouldn't allow a heading that looks like translationese. What next? 'Informations'?

Yes, could someone please change it? Either just 'training' (if there's not enough space for 'training sessions') or 'courses', as someone suggested in the previous thread.

xxxLively Wo (X)
xxxLively Wo (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Training Courses Aug 20, 2008

Dear All,

Thanks for your commitment to keeping the site gramatically correct.
We are working on areas of the site that need to be corrected and this is one of those areas. It will take a little time as it affects some of our indexed material but when it is corrected the Trainings will be called Training courses.

Again, thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards,
Maggie

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Aug 20, 2008

It irks me too....

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
What about 'softwares'? Aug 20, 2008

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a message encouraging me to fill in the 'softwares' I use in my translation work on my profile page.

Doesn't 'softwares' sound as 'professional' as 'trainings'?

M

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:18
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Softwares, trainings, informations.... Aug 20, 2008

will certainly all be edited out whenever a proofreading/editing project comes my way.

Astrid

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
not forgetting "advices", a forum favourite Aug 21, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

will certainly all be edited out whenever a proofreading/editing project comes my way.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trainings: can the term the site uses be changed? (Staff: Fixing)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »