De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 13:44
Russisch naar Engels
+ ...
Aug 14, 2008

I just used the new KudoZ system for the first time to post a question, and I find it to be a disaster!

A person asked me for clarification. There is no longer an option to reply to her, so I had to stick my reply as a "note" to someone else's post!

The levels of discussion/reference/clarification/proposed answer are SO COMPLICATED as to overwhelm the innocent user. I see no point to any of it. The only relevant points are to be able to 1) ask a question; 2) have peopl
... See more
I just used the new KudoZ system for the first time to post a question, and I find it to be a disaster!

A person asked me for clarification. There is no longer an option to reply to her, so I had to stick my reply as a "note" to someone else's post!

The levels of discussion/reference/clarification/proposed answer are SO COMPLICATED as to overwhelm the innocent user. I see no point to any of it. The only relevant points are to be able to 1) ask a question; 2) have people discuss various issues involved with it and propose answers; 3) choose an answer; and 4) make a glossary entry. Why make it so unwieldy??

I'm reminded of the song from the old Broadway musical of "Lil' Abner," in which the women of Dogpatch are talking about their menfolks: "Put 'em back/The way they was... /They was dumb, unattractive/ But by gum they was active/ Put 'em back the way they was..."

Susan

[Edited at 2008-08-14 17:49]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 18:44
Russisch naar Engels
+ ...
In memoriam
Welcome to the Resistance Movement! Aug 14, 2008

Please visit this forum thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/112294-kudoz_release:_discussion_area_and_other_improvements.html
and add your support to the opinion expressed by me and many others that the whole thing is a mistake.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentinië
Local time: 14:44
Lid 2006
Engels naar Spaans
Bug solved Aug 14, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:

Hi Susan, thanks for reporting this. The bug has been solved, you should be able to reply again.

The levels of discussion/reference/clarification/proposed answer are SO COMPLICATED as to overwhelm the innocent user. I see no point to any of it. The only relevant points are to be able to 1) ask a question; 2) have people discuss various issues involved with it and propose answers; 3) choose an answer; and 4) make a glossary entry. Why make it so unwieldy??

The various areas of KudoZ have specific functions:

• Request/provide clarification for exchanges with asker to better understand the question
  • Discussion area, for linguistic discussions on the term
  • Answer, to provide the answers to the question
  • Reference information, for those who want to provide references that are not answers to the question

These areas were implemented after members' suggestions and preliminary statistics suggest that they are being used.

Feedback and usage from members will define the future evolution of these features.

Regards,
    Enrique

• Teresa Mozo
    Teresa Mozo  Identity Verified
    Local time: 19:44
    Duits naar Spaans
    + ...
    discussion Aug 15, 2008

I don't manage to post any discussion entry. It just doesn't work.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Regards
    Teresa

Jack Doughty
    Verenigd Koninkrijk
    Russisch naar Engels
    + ...
    In memoriam
    At least one other person has Aug 15, 2008

See the latest posts in the topic to which I gave a link above. I was OK last time I checked.

Susan Welsh
    Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
    Verenigde Staten
    Local time: 13:44
    Russisch naar Engels
    + ...
    ONDERWERPSTARTER
    discussion entries Aug 15, 2008

Teresa Mozo wrote:

No, but when someone posted a discussion entry yesterday on my question, there was no way for me to respond to it. So I put the answer in the "ask the asker" section, which made it fairly incomprehensible.

Susan

Jennifer Forbes
    Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
    Frans naar Engels
    + ...
    In memoriam
    I wasn't allowed to thank the people who posted discussion entries Aug 15, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:

Teresa Mozo wrote:

No, but when someone posted a discussion entry yesterday on my question, there was no way for me to respond to it. So I put the answer in the "ask the asker" section, which made it fairly incomprehensible.

Susan

Same here. As I've already said in the other (lengthy) thread about the new Kudoz system, I find it annoying, not to say bewildering. I wanted to thank two answerers who gave me links and lots of information in a "reference entry" about two Kudoz questions I asked yesterday, and could not find a way of doing so using the Kudoz boxes. In the end, I emailed them personally.
    Am I particularly dim? I don't think so. This new system seems to me needlessly cumbersome and unresponsive.
    Jenny.

[Edited at 2008-08-15 19:10]

Enrique Cavalitto
    Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
    Argentinië
    Local time: 14:44
    Lid 2006
    Engels naar Spaans
    Communication ways Aug 15, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Same here. As I've already said in the other (lengthy) thread about the new Kudoz system, I find it annoying, not to say bewildering. I wanted to thank two answerers who gave me links and lots of information in a "reference entry" about two Kudoz questions I asked yesterday, and could not find a way of doing so using the Kudoz boxes. In the end, I emailed them personally.

Hi Jenny,

There was a bug that prevented askers from participating in the discussions related to their answers. As I posted above, this was solved yesterday.

If you want to post a note in an answer or a reference entry posted in your question, all you have to do is click on "Note to answerer" or "Note to reference poster" respectively.

Please let me know if there is currently another desired functionality that the system is not allowing.

Regards,
    Enrique

Jack Doughty
    Verenigd Koninkrijk
    Russisch naar Engels
    + ...
    In memoriam
    Bugs Aug 15, 2008

Sorry, Enrique, when you said in the other thread "There was a bug that prevented askers from participating in the discussions", I thought you meant the discussions about the new system before it was implemented. Or was that another bug?

Kim Metzger
    Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
    Mexico
    Local time: 11:44
    Duits naar Engels
    Penalizing responses to askers Aug 15, 2008

Sometimes askers have questions for answerers and use the "note to answerer" feature. The only way the answerer can answer the asker's additional question is to add a note to his explanation, whereupon he sees the following message: Note: If you add a note, your answer will be repositioned based on the current time.

Most answerers are reluctant to respond to the question in the explanation box because they don't want their answer to drop to the bottom of the page, so they tended to
    ... See more
    Sometimes askers have questions for answerers and use the "note to answerer" feature. The only way the answerer can answer the asker's additional question is to add a note to his explanation, whereupon he sees the following message: Note: If you add a note, your answer will be repositioned based on the current time.

Most answerers are reluctant to respond to the question in the explanation box because they don't want their answer to drop to the bottom of the page, so they tended to use the ask-the-asker field for this purpose.
    Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New KudoZ system

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »