Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Dan - Factcheck Dec 20, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
Jennifer Levey wrote:
Dan, is that the sort of explanation you require from Tom before you'll stop badgering him?

Badgering? I've made two posts in this thread, neither of which were combative, and the most recent of which was five days ago.
Are you not confusing me with somebody else?
Dan

Nope. There's no confusion on my part.

You've made four posts in this thread. And the most-recent of those - the one I quoted at the top of my post - was on 17th December - i.e. three days ago. And it contained at least two direct assertions that might well be regarded as 'combative' in the context of the current discussion.

In that same post (17th December), you also wrote, again criticizing Tom's posts:

Dan Lucas wrote: "You've built your argument on vague and subjective grounds."

I put it to you, Dan, that your decision to use erroneous and subjective arguments to divert attention away from the views set out in my post merits your reconsideration.
JL

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
You're right about the number of posts Dec 21, 2023

Jennifer Levey wrote:
I put it to you, Dan, that your decision to use erroneous and subjective arguments to divert attention away from the views set out in my post merits your reconsideration.

I've had a look and cannot disagree with the numbers there, apologies for the sloppiness. I can't think why I didn't see the "Number of times you have posted so far in this thread" notification when I started writing. Half a bottle of Cantoiseau Blanc probably didn't help.

Mind you, I still think "badgering" implies something more than one post in three days. Also, I see nothing to retract. I don't think I've been unkind or unpleasant. Nothing erroneous as far as I can see.

Subjective? Yes, of course, how could it be otherwise when discussing a matter like this? I have nothing against subjectivity, except when people want it to be accepted as objective truth. I'm sure that Tom has reason to believe what he does, but that does not mean that others must hold similar beliefs. That is why his "It's interesting how you want to fight with me about this" was misguided. Chris isn't "fighting" anything: his life has just been different, and the lessons Chris has drawn from it are no less valid.

To reiterate what I said explicitly in my first post: "We're all different". Tom has alluded to his experience, and I have summarised mine. His experience doesn't invalidate mine, and vice versa. Other people in the thread have their own views. Something else I said earlier: "...why should we not disagree?".

Dan

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:19
English to Czech
Other Dec 21, 2023

People I've been in contact with

1. Rostislav Janča, author of SW dictionaries and Czech MT, PC Translator

https://langsoft.cz/translator.html

2. Yves A. Champollion, author of Wordfast

http://www.champollion.net/

A living classic that I follow:
... See more
People I've been in contact with

1. Rostislav Janča, author of SW dictionaries and Czech MT, PC Translator

https://langsoft.cz/translator.html

2. Yves A. Champollion, author of Wordfast

http://www.champollion.net/

A living classic that I follow:

3. Avram Noam Chomsky

https://chomsky.info/

[Edited at 2023-12-21 09:14 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Jennifer Dec 21, 2023

Jennifer Levey wrote:
I'm very firmly on Tom's side here. It's all very well for folk here to laud the efforts of their own parents, to be positive about what 'most mothers do', or to suggest that 'nobody can do better than their best, and it's better than not doing their best'.

But, what about those of us whose mothers and fathers failed - perhaps through ignorance, perhaps through negligence, perhaps deliberately, - in their parental role? Is it not sufficient that we use that experience to remind others here that family life is not always a bed of roses? And if our experience has been painful, is it fair to demand 'justification' for the brevity of our answers? - justification for withholding details that might give our answers 'wider currency than our own existence'? Does 'revictimisation' mean anything to you?

I'd rather you didn't take my words out of context like this. I haven't said or asked anything about Tom's upbringing, or said a word about mine.

I'm sorry that you both had difficult childhoods, but your reaction is more than a little insensitive given that the only morsel of personal information in my posts had to do with my own failings as a parent.

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Donald Trump… Dec 23, 2023

… is clearly a big inspiration for some. Say what you like, never back down, never apologise, hide behind a wall. Oh well.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Who has influenced you the most?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »