Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 23, 2021

Dear colleagues,

I posted this message in the forum in Spanish but didn't get much information about it.

How do you, translators based in Europe, receive payments from Asia, Russia, Turkey and Latin America?

I use Wise, which doesn't allow to receive payments in USD from a lot of countries. I had a bad experience with PayPal and have read a lot of bad experiences with it on the Internet so I am not allowed to use PayPal any longer (at least with the same de
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I posted this message in the forum in Spanish but didn't get much information about it.

How do you, translators based in Europe, receive payments from Asia, Russia, Turkey and Latin America?

I use Wise, which doesn't allow to receive payments in USD from a lot of countries. I had a bad experience with PayPal and have read a lot of bad experiences with it on the Internet so I am not allowed to use PayPal any longer (at least with the same details) and I refuse to use it. I have opened a Skrill account and asked if I should open it in EUR or USD because the purpose of it is to receive payments in USD from the countries that Wise doesn't allow me from. They closed the ticket explaining that they had answered to my request for information by e-mail (it's false, they didn't answer. They just sent me an ad) and I automatically closed the Skrill account, with 5 EUR in it I cannot re-open it with the same e-mail account. The Skrill's customer service is horrible!

I don't need an alternative way to receive payments from those regions inmediately (although I already have contacts with some in those ones), but I think I am restricted by the fact of not using PayPal. I receive direct messages from clients via my Proz's profile and I think there are potential clients that watch my profile and don't contact me because I don't have PayPal listed as available payment method.

I hate PayPal and now I hate Skrill too.

Many of the agencies in "weird" countries (bearing in mind my language pairs) contact with me because of my second language pair DE-ES(ES) and I have read several job post from countries like Brazil looking for translators DE-ES(ES). (I have got some jobs among the posted ones without quoting low rates, but what I think are fair ones).

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Payments Dec 24, 2021

Jorge, I have a client in Bulgaria who pays by PayPal with no problems. I know you don't like PayPal but I have never had any trouble with payment from China, Japan, Hong Kong, US, Germany, Austria, UK, Italy.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jorge Dec 24, 2021

Most of my clients are in the EU and pay by bank transfer, some aren’t in the EU but have EUR accounts, a small number (UK, USA, Philippines, New Zealand…) pay through Wise. My experience with Latin America is quite limited. Happy Holidays!

P.S. I also don’t like PayPal.

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:52
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
XOOM? Dec 26, 2021

Perhaps. Being a PayPal subsidiary, they are somewhat different from PayPal in terms of their style and culture. They are just that tad easier to use for the sender and much easier to use for the recipient than PayPal.

I am unaware of excessive problems with financial overregulation and anti-money laundering concerns created out of the blue, unlike with PayPal.

The customer can use their credit card to pay, should they wish to.
XOOM is based in SF, whereas PayPal
... See more
Perhaps. Being a PayPal subsidiary, they are somewhat different from PayPal in terms of their style and culture. They are just that tad easier to use for the sender and much easier to use for the recipient than PayPal.

I am unaware of excessive problems with financial overregulation and anti-money laundering concerns created out of the blue, unlike with PayPal.

The customer can use their credit card to pay, should they wish to.
XOOM is based in SF, whereas PayPal is based in SJ, so not quite right next door.
That said, we do offer customers the option to pay by PayPal on request, usually for small-ish amounts.

[Edited at 2021-12-26 15:59 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payments from Asia, Russia and Latin America to Europe

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »