Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16]
KudoZ: should "rubbish" help be appreciated?
Thread poster: IanW (X)
AlejandraDovico
AlejandraDovico
Argentina
Local time: 15:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
I totally agree with you Sep 23, 2014

xxxIanW wrote:

cbolton wrote:
If by "professional translator" you mean a person who translates for a living, fair enough. But I think you'd be surprised by the number of very GOOD translators who do NOT happen to have a degree in translation. When I was in college no school in my area even offered a degree in translation, and I'm sure many other Proz users will tell you the same thing.

Much as I resent having my thread hi-jacked (count the number of off-tangent postings here, guys!), I must agree with Catherine. I spent two and a half years managing the freelance English department of a translation agency, and there was a healthy mix of "trained translators" on the one hand and musicians, actors and other bohemian types on the other and there was little to choose between them. And the best translators I know did not take the most conventional routes there.

Qualifications should not be confused with ability, and at the end of the day, it's ability that counts.

[Edited at 2014-09-23 15:56 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: should "rubbish" help be appreciated?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »