Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:40
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 26, 2023

Why continue questions that have been closed without grading "because answer has been found elsewhere" to be still visible? This is absolutely useless/pointless and highly irritating, I really don't get it! They are in the worst case misleading, because some colleague may not realise they are already closed, and he/she will spend time and efforts trying to find an answer.
Unless revealing the answer that was found is made mandatory, so at least this could be of interest. Otherwise this op
... See more
Why continue questions that have been closed without grading "because answer has been found elsewhere" to be still visible? This is absolutely useless/pointless and highly irritating, I really don't get it! They are in the worst case misleading, because some colleague may not realise they are already closed, and he/she will spend time and efforts trying to find an answer.
Unless revealing the answer that was found is made mandatory, so at least this could be of interest. Otherwise this option should not be there, period!
Collapse

writeaway
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen
Barbara Carrara
Grace Anderson

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@All Jun 26, 2023

When I post a question on Kudoz and I happen to find the answer elsewhere I always close the question adding the term to the glossary.

Christine Andersen
expressisverbis
Magdalena Godoy Bonnet
Zea_Mays
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
ahartje

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But who else does? Jun 26, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

When I post a question on Kudoz and I happen to find the answer elsewhere I always close the question

adding the term to the glossary.

Hardly anyone, at least as long it's not mandatory...((

writeaway
Barbara Carrara

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Professional behaviour means having good manners Jun 26, 2023

When I post a question on Kudoz and I happen to find the answer elsewhere I always close the question adding the term to the glossary.

I also always do the same. If I don't post the term to the glossary, I use the discussion board, and reveal the translated term I have found.
I consider that attitude of closing a question and having found it elsewhere without saying anything very rude... and sometimes I wonder if in fact the asker has found it elsewhere...
Being polite is also part of being a good professional, and by doing so we are respecting each other.

Christel Zipfel
Magdalena Godoy Bonnet
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
Christine Andersen
Michele Fauble

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 18:40
English to Russian
+ ...
It's even worse than "Other" Jun 26, 2023

Maybe the askers who don't shun the crime of leaving a KudoZ page with either one of these two statuses secretly hate the human race, or specifically the people who have been kind enough to offer them their help. Often as not, an asker would close a question in such an inhuman way after receiving at least one answer that's quite sensible and even insightful (imho). I wonder if proz has ever seen graver offences committed within its boundaries. Another questionable status is "No acceptable answer... See more
Maybe the askers who don't shun the crime of leaving a KudoZ page with either one of these two statuses secretly hate the human race, or specifically the people who have been kind enough to offer them their help. Often as not, an asker would close a question in such an inhuman way after receiving at least one answer that's quite sensible and even insightful (imho). I wonder if proz has ever seen graver offences committed within its boundaries. Another questionable status is "No acceptable answer": the number of questions closed with this status despite there being at least one (imho) acceptable answer is lower than the number of questions where an unacceptable (imho) answer gets the points, but the only reason for this is (imho) that the latter status is not frequently used

[Edited at 2023-06-26 12:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-06-27 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Daryo

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
On politeness Jun 26, 2023

It seems that some Proz members don’t realize the way they behave within the community maybe hurtful as a reflection of how other people see them...

expressisverbis
Christine Andersen
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
Laurent Di Raimondo
Christopher Schröder
Daryo

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same applies... Jun 26, 2023

...to the technical forums too, when somebody asks for help concerning CAT problems and then disappears with no "thank you" or "problem solved" at all.

Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 09:40
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jun 26, 2023

If someone does not post an answer I ask the asker what was the answer found, no matter if the question was posted many years ago.

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 27, 2023

Maybe users should not be allowed to close, or post another question until they've supplied the answer?
(not sure how kudoz work any more, there's no point trying to outstrip those with the most points, it'd take me months!)

expressisverbis
Daryo

Björn Vrooman
Björn Vrooman
German to English
+ ...
It all depends... Jun 29, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

(...there's no point trying to outstrip those with the most points, it'd take me months!)

What leaderboard are you looking at? In reply to a similar statement, I wrote that you can easily claim the top spot in the 3-month and 12-month categories by answering 15-30 questions in your language pair(s).

Of course, trying to catch up to the all-time leaders would take years (not months!) so that should never be the goal.

Also, have you ever filtered the page for open Qs only? I’m over here almost getting a heart attack when I do that, and I would say it’s an even worse problem than askers not providing any feedback.

What I’d like to see happening is that:
(a) Questions without answers are closed automatically after 3 months. Sorry, but who’s going to go back to a question that no one bothered with half a year ago?
(b) Questions that have been answered but where no answerer has received more than one “agree” should be re-upped by KudoZ after a month or so. This way, there might be a chance that someone who hasn't seen the Q will come along and close it (since you need two “agrees” to have the robot do that for you).
(c) Alternatively (or additionally?), askers need to close Qs older than three months before being able to post another question. Some people really do keep a few of their questions open for a very long time. Being stuck in limbo is like the worst "reward" you can get, as an answerer, for trying to help out.

Laura Mico

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:40
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Closing without grading Jul 1, 2023

From my experience at KudoZ, closing without grading, including "answer found elsewhere", "no acceptable answer" and "other" are mostly used when the asker posts three or four questions in a row, and only one person answers them all. I have experienced this, and what I felt was, the asker does NOT want to award a total of 12 or 16 points to the only person who answered the questions.

Another possibility: the person who answered the question and wasn't awarded any points due to clos
... See more
From my experience at KudoZ, closing without grading, including "answer found elsewhere", "no acceptable answer" and "other" are mostly used when the asker posts three or four questions in a row, and only one person answers them all. I have experienced this, and what I felt was, the asker does NOT want to award a total of 12 or 16 points to the only person who answered the questions.

Another possibility: the person who answered the question and wasn't awarded any points due to closed without grading has a top rank in the directory.
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
If that is the case Jul 6, 2023

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Another possibility: the person who answered the question and wasn't awarded any points due to closed without grading has a top rank in the directory.

If that is the case, that's a very "friendly" way of saying "thank you" to someone who helped you for free. And says a lot of (not so nice) things about the Asker.

One way or another, closing questions on the ground of "answer found elsewhere" and then NOT sharing that "answer found elsewhere" is highly irritating and disrespectful to people who tried to help.

Occasionally even more irritating when it's plain to see for anyone familiar familiar with the subject matter that Asker can't recognise a good answer when it's staring at them!

If you look at Kudoz as an exercice in mutual help (as opposed to a points gathering exercise) then Askers should be prevented from closing a question without sharing the "answer found elsewhere".

Kay Denney
Michele Fauble
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
IrinaN

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another possibility for closing a question without grading: Jul 8, 2023

"other reason", seen just now
which is equally irritating - which reason??? (there were 2 answers though)

[Bearbeitet am 2023-07-08 19:04 GMT]

expressisverbis
Daryo
writeaway
Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question closed - "answer found elsewhere"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »