Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum?
Thread poster: José Julián Díaz
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A start Jan 20, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
Anyway, "a respected and experienced fellow translator provided me with the translation" would never be of great help if a client would contest one of my translations.

No, because KudoZ is just a start. It’s up to you to check that the answer is right. Even if the answers are all wrong, they can put you on the right track. It’s a fantastic resource. Entertaining too.

Helena Chavarria
Lieven Malaise
Jocelyne Cuenin
Christel Zipfel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton
Steve Robbie

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Moi? Jan 20, 2023

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Curiously enough, when it happens it's usually from some faceless and/or nameless nobody...

Or a nobody with a face and a name.

Or a somebody.

Lieven Malaise
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Charles R.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not per se Jan 21, 2023

In my pair, there are some regular contributors who occasionally nitpick, or damn with faint praise, but I wouldn't call it harassment or bullying. I just count myself lucky when they actually post an "agree" to any of my efforts. I suppose it may be down to my own approach, as I often post answers with the caveat "or something along these lines".

Tom in London

abe(L)solano
abe(L)solano  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unfortunately, this is the case right now on the English (and French) > Spanish forum(s) Jan 24, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Anything on this platform that comes close to harassment or bullying is at best extremely subtle because moderation is quite strict here (which is a good thing). At least users are forced to use some language skills if they want to pick on someone without having their posts deleted, and I think that's very appropriate for a translation forum .

Hi everyone. I would love to agree with Lieven Malaise, but it's not the case.

We are having a severe case of bullying attitude in the English>Spanish forum. Hence the question/subject raised by JJ Díaz, since he has been another victim of a serial stalker.
I hope this will be stopped soon by moderators and the Proz staff.
About a dozen of regular contributors have raised concerns with moderators by now.

An attitude like this just damages the global image of Proz, the users' experience of the site and relations among pairs.
You're invited to see any late question on the EN>ES forum and you will notice this, which is not appropriate for a Professional site.
ASP

[Editado a las 2023-01-25 18:21 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Mónica Algazi
Juan Gil
François Tardif
Steven Huddleston

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wouldn't call it bullying, but yes. Jan 24, 2023

José Julián Díaz wrote:

I wonder if it’s just my imagination, but have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum?

Yes, in the EN > ES pair there's an uncomfortable, rude environment which originates in a single source, in my opinion.

Andrés

abe(L)solano
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Juan Gil
François Tardif
Steven Huddleston

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
haranguing Jan 24, 2023

It isn´t really bullying, and probably not intentional harassment. A better word to describe that person´s actions probably would be haranguing. But whatever it is called, I agree that the moderators ought to explain to that person what the rules mean and how Kudoz is supposed to work, in a peaceful manner.

Kay Denney

abe(L)solano
abe(L)solano  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Discussions with 15/20/30 entries are Not intentional? Jan 24, 2023

MollyRose wrote:

It isn´t really bullying, and probably not intentional harassment. A better word to describe that person´s actions probably would be haranguing. But whatever it is called, I agree that the moderators ought to explain to that person what the rules mean and how Kudoz is supposed to work, in a peaceful manner.

Sorry to disagree here Molly, but please see some late entries.

This is an absolutely intentional behaviour against several members:
Systematic disagrees (w/o a true reason) against the same respondents, 8-10 in a row (!)
Some have quitted the forum.

Discussions that expand to 15/20/30 comments because someone is vehemently trying to discredit any other point of view other than self's.

This is not 'haranguing' and IT IS INTENTIONAL.
All we want is to recover some normality!!

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Juan Gil
François Tardif
Steven Huddleston

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
hijacking Jan 25, 2023

MollyRose wrote:

It isn´t really bullying, and probably not intentional harassment. A better word to describe that person´s actions probably would be haranguing.

Hijacking would be more accurate, by imposing his views in endless arguments and punishing dissenters with silly disagrees and scornful remarks. No wonder askers get confused and people leave the site.

abe(L)solano
Christel Zipfel
Anthony OSullivan
Juan Gil
François Tardif
Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Nicolas Saez

Anthony OSullivan
Anthony OSullivan  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Old boys’ club Jan 25, 2023

There was always an old boys’ club style to the forums and Kudoz points. There were the same 3 or 4 posters backing each other up regardless of the technical merits of an outsider’s answer. I haven’t participated in the forums for years because of these dominant voices controlling the boards. Plenty of decent posters of course but some really petty point scoring going on too. I’m amazed they have the time to be honest.

MollyRose wrote:

Sorry to disagree here Molly, but please see some late entries.

Systematic disagrees (w/o a true reason) against the same respondents, 8-10 in a row (!)

Discussions that expand to 15/20/30 comments because someone is vehemently trying to discredit any other point of view other than self's.

All we want is to recover some normality!! [/quote]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Report it then! Jan 25, 2023

Anthony OSullivan wrote:

All we want is to recover some normality!!

Report it to the mods and to site staff then. They're very quick to take down anything I say that they don't like.

expressisverbis

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
ok Jan 25, 2023

I have only seen a few of them and was not looking to see if certain people were being harassed. I thought he was probably just going to excessive measures to try to prove his point. I have noticed that he also does this even when others have already stated basically the same thing. It is obsessive or controlling behavior.

Anyway, as I said, whatever it is called, the moderators or ProZ staff should correct him.

abe(L)solano
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Steven Huddleston

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Really not Jan 25, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Anything on this platform that comes close to harassment or bullying is at best extremely subtle because moderation is quite strict here (which is a good thing). At least users are forced to use some language skills if they want to pick on someone without having their posts deleted, and I think that's very appropriate for a translation forum .

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but my Dutch colleagues are very helpfull.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same is true over here Jan 25, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but my Dutch colleagues are very helpfull.

Up to now, the English/French>Spanish forum was a pleasant place to go. This is a recent, and hopefully, punctual problem.
We need to restore our helpful, professional atmosphere.

MollyRose
abe(L)solano

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
NItpickers Jan 26, 2023

neilmac wrote:

In my pair, there are some regular contributors who occasionally nitpick, or damn with faint praise, but I wouldn't call it harassment or bullying. I just count myself lucky when they actually post an "agree" to any of my efforts. I suppose it may be down to my own approach, as I often post answers with the caveat "or something along these lines".

There's a nitpicker in my pair too; I know exactly who that person is, and I even know where s/he lives. Someone who has a chip on her/his shoulder. Every time I make a suggestion in Kudoz, along comes the nitpicker to query my suggestion. But I wouldn't call this behaviour "bullying"; more like just being a royal PITA. It's because I often can't be bothered to provide exhaustive documentation and references to justify my suggestion. I suppose I should. Mea culpa.

A bigger and even more annoying problem in my pair (ITA_ENG) is two or three individuals who regularly pop up with a whole string of professional-level Kudoz questions to which anyone with basic knowledge of the two languages would know the answers. Of late there has been an improvement in getting at least 3 people to classify these frivolous (or stupid) questions as "non-pro". I hope this keeps up, because it will eventually drive the askers away. Every time it happens I am seriously tempted to adopt a "bullying" attitude and to respond along the lines of "take your stupid questions somewhere else you *******! If you don't know what this means you shouldn't be a translator!" Etc. But I restrain myself.

[Edited at 2023-01-26 08:39 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
writeaway
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Barbara Carrara

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Human nature Jan 26, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

neilmac wrote:

There's a nitpicker in my pair too; I know exactly who that person is, and I even know where s/he lives. Someone who has a chip on her/his shoulder. Every time I make a suggestion in Kudoz, along comes the nitpicker to query my suggestion. But I wouldn't call this behaviour "bullying"; more like just being a royal PITA. It's because I often can't be bothered to provide exhaustive documentation and references to justify my suggestion. I suppose I should. Mea culpa.

As in life, nitpickers are part of the picture and we've always had to put up with them.

But this is different. What afflicts our KudoZ right now is someone on a huge ego trip who ruins everybody's experience.

[Edited at 2023-01-26 15:32 GMT]

Tom in London
abe(L)solano
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Steven Huddleston
Barbara Carrara

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »