expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:13
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 26, 2021

KudoZ rule 2.10 says askers should allow at least twenty-four (24) hours to pass before closing a question.
My question is: How do I keep seeing questions that are closed in a couple of minutes or within a few hours?
Sometimes, only one member answers the question, and the asker closes it in the blink of an eye.
Has anyone noticed the same "practice" before? Is this normal?

Barbara Carrara
mk_lab
Laurent Di Raimondo

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 13:13
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Remind askers of the rules Aug 27, 2021

For example:
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/law-general/6994139-on-the-holder.html

expressisverbis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Generating Kudoz-points maybe? Aug 27, 2021

Put a question, inform a friend and let him/her get the points by closing the question, that has happened in some language groups.
Reminds my I haven't had any Kudoz reminder on my language combinations for a long time. Seems all is perfect, nobody needs help.

Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A few minutes Aug 27, 2021

On the rare occasions when I have to ask a Kudoz question, I'm always in a hurry, in the middle of a translation job, and I need an answer ASAP. Thanks to Kudoz, an appropriate answer usually comes within a few minutes. At that point I simply want to thank the answerer, award points, and close the question. It makes no sense at all to wait for 24 hours (by which time I have completely forgotten all about the question).

[Edited at 2021-08-27 08:09 GMT]

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra Aug 27, 2021

I haven’t noticed this “new trend” but this month I have been quite busy and I haven’t given much attention to Kudoz. The situation you describe is against the rules but for me it’s worst those who never close their questions or don’t give any score nor comments. This site is supposed to be an exchange of information between professional translators but some people see it as a quick and easy way to 'get' information. The same happens with the translator forums: a person asks a questi... See more
I haven’t noticed this “new trend” but this month I have been quite busy and I haven’t given much attention to Kudoz. The situation you describe is against the rules but for me it’s worst those who never close their questions or don’t give any score nor comments. This site is supposed to be an exchange of information between professional translators but some people see it as a quick and easy way to 'get' information. The same happens with the translator forums: a person asks a question, gets the answer and then disappears without even a “thank you”! It’s simple good manners, isn’t it?Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
Barbara Carrara
Ester Vidal
Dalia Nour
ahartje
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
expressisverbis

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
French to English
Suggestions Aug 27, 2021

It does happen. I suppose they are "recommended" time limits so there is no obligation to wait 24 hours.

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Regretably, nothing new... Aug 27, 2021

Since there are most of the time no moderators assigned on KudoZ forum, some dubious and rather questionnable behaviours from KudoZ askers or contributors like those regretably appear more and more indeed.

The contrary may be seen as well... I mean some KudoZ users are accustomed to opening threads but they never close them, which I find it quite disrespectful towards contributors who have devoted a bit of their time (sometimes a lot of time) to make researches in order to provide a
... See more
Since there are most of the time no moderators assigned on KudoZ forum, some dubious and rather questionnable behaviours from KudoZ askers or contributors like those regretably appear more and more indeed.

The contrary may be seen as well... I mean some KudoZ users are accustomed to opening threads but they never close them, which I find it quite disrespectful towards contributors who have devoted a bit of their time (sometimes a lot of time) to make researches in order to provide accurate and proper references or materials to help.

I tried to draw attention to what I call a scornful attitude, by opening this thread: https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/349708-about_kudoz_users_threads_opened_but_never_closed….html
But to no avail...

I also tried to draw attention about possible conflicts of interest between KudoZ contributors, which happen every day, at least in my language pair. I opened a thread to this regard here: https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/350759-conflict_of_interest_between_kudoz_contributors_or_not.html
But better barking at the moon.

Despite those remarks - which I'm not the only one to raise - nothing has changed and I'm afraid nothing won't...
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Dalia Nour
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Plus the munificent 1-point 'rewarders' Aug 27, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:
The situation you describe is against the rules but for me it’s worst those who never close their questions or don’t give any score nor comments. This site is supposed to be an exchange of information between professional translators but some people see it as a quick and easy way to 'get' information. The same happens with the translator forums: a person asks a question, gets the answer and then disappears without even a “thank you”! It’s simple good manners, isn’t it?

Totally agree.
I would also include those 'colleagues' who are prone to awarding the least amount of points (1), despite the research efforts put in by the answerers. In the past, when I participed more actively in the KudoZ section, I 'earned' such unparalleled appreciation from the same asker myself, and twice in a row. I cannot fathom why one needs to be so miserly when it comes to rewarding somebody who did what they should have done themselves in the first place. So, better let them be and stew in their own juice (a close match to the Italian, cuocere nel loro brodo). And that's when the filter option comes in handy.

Edited to add another 'fad'. Recently, I've noticed that some newly registered users who sign in, post their one question, and immediately afterward delete their profile page.
No idea what's the reasoning behind that.
[Edited at 2021-08-27 10:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-28 05:02 GMT]

Laurent Di Raimondo
Adriana Sandru
expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes leaving the question open is unproductive Aug 27, 2021

In a world where people want their translations ever faster, and deadlines get ever tighter, if I have to ask a question when the translation is relatively short I see no point in keeping the question open if I have received a suitable answer. If it stays open, more people may spend time looking for an answer, which in the end will be of no help to the asker because of said short deadline. Of course, a better answer may appear, and that could be used as a learning experience as well as added to ... See more
In a world where people want their translations ever faster, and deadlines get ever tighter, if I have to ask a question when the translation is relatively short I see no point in keeping the question open if I have received a suitable answer. If it stays open, more people may spend time looking for an answer, which in the end will be of no help to the asker because of said short deadline. Of course, a better answer may appear, and that could be used as a learning experience as well as added to the glossary for future reference, even if it doesn't help the asker who has already submitted their translation. It depends on how one looks at KudoZ and its function. Personally I do stick to the rules and keep the question open the required time regardless, but as others have said I find it far more frustrating when people don't bother to grade any answer or to thank those who go out of their way to help.Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Tom in London
expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to everyone Aug 27, 2021

I could see an example of this "trend" yesterday:

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-portuguese/law-general/6993878-adverse-personnel-action.html

The question above was closed and Kudoz were awarded on the same day.

I totally agree with the examples mentioned here from certain "colleagues" who ask
... See more
I could see an example of this "trend" yesterday:

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-portuguese/law-general/6993878-adverse-personnel-action.html

The question above was closed and Kudoz were awarded on the same day.

I totally agree with the examples mentioned here from certain "colleagues" who ask a question, close it without saying anything, and let alone send a friendly "thank you" for the help and time provided... and much more...

It's a shame there are no Proz rules for these "events".

[Edited at 2021-08-27 14:56 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Laurent Di Raimondo

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting... Aug 29, 2021

After reading all your kind replies, I have agreed with most part of your comments and including I have posted my own comment here.
Today, I see that my "agrees" disappeared along with my last post.
What is going on, please?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra Aug 29, 2021

I've just sent a ticket, there are several "disappearing acts" going on...

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok... Aug 29, 2021

... it seems things got back to normal now. Perhaps, agrees and posts went for walk on this Sunday.

[Edited at 2021-08-30 07:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions closed before the recommended time

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »