Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2010

I really wish there were some way that an asker could award the points to someone who did NOT provide an answer at all, but was most helpful because of the discussion, references, insights, etc. that they contributed. Maybe this has been discussed in the past, but I'd still like to put in a plug for it.

In the most recent instance (for me), I already thought I knew what the queried item meant, but it made so little sense to me that I posted it as a question. Turns out I did have it
... See more
I really wish there were some way that an asker could award the points to someone who did NOT provide an answer at all, but was most helpful because of the discussion, references, insights, etc. that they contributed. Maybe this has been discussed in the past, but I'd still like to put in a plug for it.

In the most recent instance (for me), I already thought I knew what the queried item meant, but it made so little sense to me that I posted it as a question. Turns out I did have it right, but didn't understand that it was a play on words. The person who informed me of that did not post an answer; the answers that were posted were variations of what I had already come up with myself. I can choose one of those, but really, I'd rather give credit where credit is due.
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 06:35
English to Russian
+ ...
good idea Sep 2, 2010

I think it is a very good idea and I support you on this.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:35
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too Sep 2, 2010

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Good in a way Sep 2, 2010

However the system should also be simple and easy to use. And already many people complain that using Kudoz is more complicated than it used to be (if not to mention newcomers and people who are not registered).

I am afraid that creating such an option could be great for advanced and proficient users but could additionally complicate life to others.

S

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:35
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
KudoZ points are assigned only to the most helpful answer. Sep 2, 2010

Asker can post a thank you message to acknowledge valuable contributions in other areas of the question, but KudoZ points are assigned only to the most helpful answer.

This is a simple and effective system and I see no need to modify it.

Regards,
Enrique

Adam Jarczyk
Adam Jarczyk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:35
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Happened to me once, and the asker had a good way to do it... Sep 2, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote:

The person who informed me of that did not post an answer; the answers that were posted were variations of what I had already come up with myself. I can choose one of those, but really, I'd rather give credit where credit is due.

Susan,

I had the same situation once, having been the one providing the information that was needed but not having posted it as an "answer". The grateful colleague contacted me to ask me if I were willing to make it an answer for the reason of being awarded the points which she really wanted to give. - You might consider doing something similar.

Just an idea.

Adam

[Edited at 2010-09-02 21:05 GMT]

Cristina Fernández
Cristina Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Sep 2, 2010

Enrique wrote:

Asker can post a thank you message to acknowledge valuable contributions in other areas of the question, but KudoZ points are assigned only to the most helpful answer.

This is a simple and effective system and I see no need to modify it.

Regards,
Enrique

I agree, but what happens when there are two (or more) identical answers? That happened to me a few days ago, the system asked me to choose between two answers that were identical...

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Win-win game Sep 3, 2010

Kodoz points are given to the answerer whom the asker subjectively enjoys the most (the reply can be the worst one, however). Discussion or reference providers should also be the stakeholders of this game. By crediting the one worth crediting, this game can be a win-win game: more participants and more active Kudoz pages.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Jade Liu
Jade Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Credit where credit is due Sep 3, 2010

Good!

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree! Sep 3, 2010

I can only agree with Susan! I was in the same situation some days ago and the answer which helped me most was provided in the discussion area. I suggested to the answerer that he should post his discussion entry as a reply, but he didn't. So, I had to choose another answer only to close my question.

Moreover, I often really would like to have the possibility to split the points.

Annett

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Close without grading Sep 3, 2010

Annett Hieber wrote:

the answer which helped me most was provided in the discussion area. I suggested to the answerer that he should post his discussion entry as a reply, but he didn't. So, I had to choose another answer only to close my question.

Annett

In such cases, why not close the question without grading and give as a reason "found the answer elsewhere" or "no acceptable answer"?

See http://www.proz.com/faq/2899#2899

Stéphanie

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seconded Sep 3, 2010

Adam Jarczyk wrote:
Susan,

I had the same situation once, having been the one providing the information that was needed but not having posted it as an "answer". The grateful colleague contacted me to ask me if I were willing to make it an answer for the reason of being awarded the points which she really wanted to give. - You might consider doing something similar.

Just an idea.

Adam

[Edited at 2010-09-02 21:05 GMT]

This is precisely what I did once on a question that I had posted and I would wholeheartedly endorse this idea.

[Edited at 2010-09-03 07:14 GMT]

inmb
inmb  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
suggestion Sep 3, 2010

You may actually ask the person who provided the best references and insight to post her/his comments as an answer and then award the points. No need to change the system.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The most important thing ... Sep 3, 2010

I'm all for giving credit where it's due. The most important thing, in my eccentric opinion, is to thank the person who gave the useful information - much more important than awarding points - nice though they are. A personal email to that helpful answerer expressing your appreciation is a good idea.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Good point. Sep 3, 2010

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I'm all for giving credit where it's due. The most important thing, in my eccentric opinion, is to thank the person who gave the useful information - much more important than awarding points - nice though they are. A personal email to that helpful answerer expressing your appreciation is a good idea.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Yes, I agree.

It is evident that the person giving useful information in the discussion box is NOT there for points, anyway. It's those that give quick and unelaborated answers that are.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Credit where credit is due

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »