Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Confidentiality issues when posting Kudoz questions and possibility of implementing a time rule
Thread poster: Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:26
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not all people filter Oct 5, 2008

megane_wang wrote:
Jessica Noyes wrote:
When someone starts filling up my kudoz screen with questions a high school
Spanish student could answer, I go to my dashboard and filter them out. End of problem.

I currently remember most frequent asker's names and, if I see someone abusing of the system, I just filter them out.

But not all people filter habitual askers out. The majority probably don't, so that the once-a-month askers are still pushed off the page.

I spend a lot of time researching my terminology and if I do have to ask a question it is usually rather obscure and there are not many people who may know the answer, which is why it is important to keep the term visible on the first page as long as possible. I do not want to contact others directly asking for help because they feel a certain duty to do so when it may not be convenient.

All I am asking for is a means to slow the asking rate of habitual users a little (and maybe prompt them to look up a term themselves) .

Cheers,
Jill

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:26
German to English
+ ...
Thank you for raising this issue Oct 5, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:
I spend a lot of time researching my terminology and if I do have to ask a question it is usually rather obscure and there are not many people who may know the answer, which is why it is important to keep the term visible on the first page as long as possible.

While I was setting my filters I also set a few flags for exactly this reason. Considering how seldom I take the time to look at the KudoZ list these days that's probably a good thing to do even if the problem you mention didn't exist.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did not mean to stop contributing... Oct 5, 2008

bohy wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
Take it or leave it

Why should we leave if we do not agree with some behaviors ?

I meant to say to leave things as is, not to stop contributing or using Kudoz. There are so many ways and levels of using Kudoz. We cannot force everyone to use Kudoz in the same way. Many people clearly misuse it, but that works directly against them, and not against the rest of the users.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confidentiality issues when posting Kudoz questions and possibility of implementing a time rule

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »