Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:42
Member (2009)
German to English
Board game colours Apr 18, 2012

Not a beginner's mistake but amusing no less:

I was at a board game convention last year in Germany and I was playing a board game in the evening with some Germans. I was playing with the black pieces but I kept picking up the blue pieces instead. So I turned to the person who was blue and said 'Sorry, Ich bin normalerweise blau' as at home I normally play with the blue pieces.

Then everyone including me started laughing as I realised what I'd said..

Ich bi
... See more
Not a beginner's mistake but amusing no less:

I was at a board game convention last year in Germany and I was playing a board game in the evening with some Germans. I was playing with the black pieces but I kept picking up the blue pieces instead. So I turned to the person who was blue and said 'Sorry, Ich bin normalerweise blau' as at home I normally play with the blue pieces.

Then everyone including me started laughing as I realised what I'd said..

Ich bin blau is slang for I am drunk ... ironically I had had a couple of glasses of wine..
Collapse

pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:42
German to English
Bist du warm? Apr 19, 2012

When working for a large electrical/electronics company in Germany a previous life, in my first month there, the heat in the office was set very high.

I asked our office administrator, are you warm ("bist du warm?").

She laughed and suggested I not use that phrase in that context -- I had just asked if she was homosexual.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Grocery store Apr 19, 2012

Many years ago, I had just arrived in the US, I once went to the grocery store but couldn't find the food item that I needed for cooking dinner. So I asked the store clerk for leeches. I meant leeks...

Thomas Seligmann
Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
French to English
+ ...
Animals Apr 19, 2012

A common difficulty faced by native English speakers when learning a new language is knowing when to use the polite form of "you" and when to use the familiar form, as there is no difference in English.

One time in France, while staying with friends who had a cat, I started talking to the cat. I was saying things like "venez", "mangez votre nourriture", "vous pouvez aller dans le jardin, il fait beau".

It was greeted with absolute hysterics, not just a little giggle, bu
... See more
A common difficulty faced by native English speakers when learning a new language is knowing when to use the polite form of "you" and when to use the familiar form, as there is no difference in English.

One time in France, while staying with friends who had a cat, I started talking to the cat. I was saying things like "venez", "mangez votre nourriture", "vous pouvez aller dans le jardin, il fait beau".

It was greeted with absolute hysterics, not just a little giggle, but they couldn't breathe from laughing and one spat out his drink all over the table.

I couldn't understand the fuss, as I had been taught to always use "vous" when speaking to someone you've never met or don't know very well, so took that to mean animals as well!

[Edited at 2012-04-19 00:57 GMT]
Collapse

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Great joke! Apr 19, 2012

Tom S wrote:

Ah, it's absolutely hillarious! Should be included to some French course, like French in Action:)

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
One of my favorite blunders ;) Apr 19, 2012

This one I remember well, I am sure I made others which probably I am not even aware of, since maybe nobody had the courage to tell me...

Anyway, I was fresh in the U.S. and was in a mall. I told my husband in a loud voice: "Honey, remember you need to buy yourself PANTIES" (in Italian, one general word to indicate underwear for men and women is "mutande", which I translated with "panties", thinking it would be the sam
... See more
This one I remember well, I am sure I made others which probably I am not even aware of, since maybe nobody had the courage to tell me...

Anyway, I was fresh in the U.S. and was in a mall. I told my husband in a loud voice: "Honey, remember you need to buy yourself PANTIES" (in Italian, one general word to indicate underwear for men and women is "mutande", which I translated with "panties", thinking it would be the same in English, i.e. a generic unisex item.)

My husband was horrified and upset at the same time, not realizing that I wasn't trying to joke him or imply he was a crossdresser or something.

It took me a while to calm him down and explain to him why I came up with that word

[Modificato alle 2012-04-19 05:07 GMT]
Collapse

trent2101
trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
I think you wanted to say Apr 19, 2012

S P Willcocks wrote:

Many, many years ago, when I was learning Czech and teaching English at a school out there, I would go to the secretaries' office every month and pick up my wages in cash. This is so long ago that the wages were paid in Czechoslovak crowns.

For the first few months, I was struggling with pronounciation and especially with the voiced/voiceless distinction in consonants. So that insteasd of saying that I had come to pick up my wages (msta), I would cheerfully announce that I had come for my revenge (mzda)!

They would smile indulgently and hand over the wad of banknotes without batting an eyelid...

wage= mzda
revenge= msta
a funny one.

It would take ages before I told you about all the mistakes I made when trying to learn to speak Danish!!!( my teacher sort of gave up on me, because she kept telling me that " we are not in Sweden here" and " the Danish vowels are soft, like the Danish sea") it´s one of the most impossible languages for me. I´m still afraid to speak, reading is okay...

[Upraveno: 2012-04-19 07:49 GMT]

Paola Battagliarini
Paola Battagliarini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Herr Glocke.. Apr 19, 2012

When I was seventeen and I had just started to study German, my mother arranged with some cousins of hers, who lived in Austria, that I would stay at their place for some weeks during the summer.
I made the journey by car, with the two sons of a friend of my parents, who were also travelling to Austria to visit their grandparents.
When we arrived at the house corresponding to the address I had, I got out, went to the door, read the name on the doorbell and went back to the car sayi
... See more
When I was seventeen and I had just started to study German, my mother arranged with some cousins of hers, who lived in Austria, that I would stay at their place for some weeks during the summer.
I made the journey by car, with the two sons of a friend of my parents, who were also travelling to Austria to visit their grandparents.
When we arrived at the house corresponding to the address I had, I got out, went to the door, read the name on the doorbell and went back to the car saying: “Sorry, guys, this is the wrong house, here lives Mr. Glocke”.
They started laughing, of course, and I realized that Glocke means doorbell..
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Almost embarsassing Apr 19, 2012

I was being introduced to my Austrian future in-laws by my second wife-to-be. It was a rather formal situation and I was not exactly at ease, the m.i.l. being a bit of a gorgon. Anyway, we sat down at table, I was presented, welcomed and my future mother in law said what I thought was "Also, wir werden nicht sitzen" so I, rather bemused, stood up. What she had actually said was "wir werden uns nicht siezen" (i.e. use the Sie form of address). Austrians do not distinguish all that well between ... See more
I was being introduced to my Austrian future in-laws by my second wife-to-be. It was a rather formal situation and I was not exactly at ease, the m.i.l. being a bit of a gorgon. Anyway, we sat down at table, I was presented, welcomed and my future mother in law said what I thought was "Also, wir werden nicht sitzen" so I, rather bemused, stood up. What she had actually said was "wir werden uns nicht siezen" (i.e. use the Sie form of address). Austrians do not distinguish all that well between the long and short forms of the vowels, which is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ah, the inlaws. Why my dad was miffed. Apr 19, 2012

David Wright wrote:

I was being introduced to my Austrian future in-laws by my second wife-to-be.

My parents don't speak English very well, and on one of the rare occasions that my dad was on the phone with my husband, my dad proudly described the elaborate 5-course New Years Eve dinner that my mom had prepared. "Wow, you must be full!," my husband replied in admiration. What my dad heard: "Wow, you must be screamingly drunk!" (In German, "to be full" - literally translated: "voll sein" means to be drunk as a skunk.)

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chicken Apr 19, 2012

I've said 'polla' (dick) instead of 'pollo' (chicken) a few times. And 'como la trucha al chocho' (like the female trout to the pussy) instead of 'como la trucha al trucho' (like the female trout to the male trout [literal translations, used to be sarcastic when you say you like/love someone]).

Phoebe Indetzki
Phoebe Indetzki  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
mothers in law... Apr 19, 2012

My (very short) German mother-in-law, whose English is somewhat limited, once said admiringly to a (very tall) English friend of mine "You are very gross!"

(German "gross" = "tall")

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
When I was in Spain Apr 19, 2012

I kept referring to ''years'' as ''anos'' which is correct in Portuguese but in Spanish means...

[Edited at 2012-04-19 16:44 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I nearly spilled my coffee all over the keyboard Apr 19, 2012

phoeberuth wrote:

My (very short) German mother-in-law, whose English is somewhat limited, once said admiringly to a (very tall) English friend of mine "You are very gross!"

(German "gross" = "tall")

This one takes the cake...

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Czech to English
+ ...
Let me join the list... Apr 19, 2012

In Czech, I once tried to explain how I'd awoken to see a rabbit run past my bed (when camping). Unfortunately, I confused the word for rabbit (kralik) with the word for hare (zajic) and told my companions a slice of bread (krajic) had just run past!

In Portugal, I always ordered ice cream in a tub rather than a cone, because I couldn't differentiate between the pronunciation for cone (cone) and the rather unpleasant c-word (which has an 'a' at the end rather than an 'e'. The Portug
... See more
In Czech, I once tried to explain how I'd awoken to see a rabbit run past my bed (when camping). Unfortunately, I confused the word for rabbit (kralik) with the word for hare (zajic) and told my companions a slice of bread (krajic) had just run past!

In Portugal, I always ordered ice cream in a tub rather than a cone, because I couldn't differentiate between the pronunciation for cone (cone) and the rather unpleasant c-word (which has an 'a' at the end rather than an 'e'. The Portuguese hear these two sounds completely differently and have no problem with it, but I was always too afraid!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Your biggest language blunder in everyday life

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »