Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
AI: Apparent consensus among freelancers who have tried it: It can be really useful. But be careful.
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 10:02
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
"Everyone is using it, 45% admit it" Jan 27

Barbara Carrara wrote:

AI tool-training-and-community

If you read the small print, the 'numbers', and the '45%' stated therein are taken from 'one of the latest ProZ.com industry reports'.

They mean their questions they put in the forums, where only a handful responds. In the completely unregulated translation industry, everything is an "industry report".
So my opinion should be an industry report too, because to say I proofread "hundreds of docs annually" would be an understatement, if I have 3 daughters without college debt. So based on the texts that I proofread: 100% of Greek translators are using Google Trans API or other tool, and it shows in the writing (too chatty, meaning lots of additional useless words, causing headache and loss of concentration). In some cases they don't even bother editing, so when I run it out of curiosity through the API, it's 100% match.
When they can't use it (handwritten PDFs), sometimes the text into English is either funny or word-for-word, such as "the pilot of the fun boat" (she meant the helmsman of the recreational boat) or "the beautiful bouquet in front of the lens" (she meant the lens front bokeh), etc. Without the Google API they're gone.
The correct Proz report should have been "Probably everyone is using it, only 45% admit it".

[Edited at 2024-01-27 05:26 GMT]

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 10:02
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
"But this is new, client-specific text, how did it get it right?" Jan 27

...by the way, the more you are trying to beat MT with smarter entries in texts that need no change, the more alternative segments it has - one day the matching source appears, and it fills it 100% instantly ("but this is new client-specific text, how did it get it right?"). If you come across an MT segment better than yours, it means another translator at some point tried to beat the machine (to the machine's benefit).

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:02
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
What are we talking about here? Jan 27

I renew my question:

Zea_Mays wrote:

* Many people have not tried it

...we would need to know what is meant here with "AI"? Just the conversational CHAT BOTS?

Aurélien ARPAZ

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
More of the same Jan 27

Lefteris Kritikakis wrote:
The correct Proz report should have been "Probably everyone is using it, only 45% admit it".

More unsubstantiated uber-cynical speculation. If you stopped presenting your opinions as absolute truths from an insider who knows better than everyone else, they might gain more traction.

I for one don’t use AI, because it’s rubbish.

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
ibz
Arjan van den Berg
Renate Radziwill-Rall

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

AI: Apparent consensus among freelancers who have tried it: It can be really useful. But be careful.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »