Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?
Thread poster: M. El Kadimi
M. El Kadimi
M. El Kadimi  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 15:23
English to French
+ ...
Mar 31, 2023

Here's ChatGPT's answer:

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions or beliefs, but I can provide some insights on how the use of machine translation technology may impact the translation industry.

It's true that machine translation technology has advanced significantly in recent years, and it has become more accurate and reliable in producing translations. This has made it a more viable option for businesses and individuals looking to translate their co
... See more
Here's ChatGPT's answer:

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions or beliefs, but I can provide some insights on how the use of machine translation technology may impact the translation industry.

It's true that machine translation technology has advanced significantly in recent years, and it has become more accurate and reliable in producing translations. This has made it a more viable option for businesses and individuals looking to translate their content quickly and affordably.

However, while machine translation can produce decent translations in some cases, it still has limitations and is not always accurate or precise. Machine translation works best for simple and straightforward texts and may struggle with more complex or specialized content. Moreover, machine translation does not take into account cultural nuances and context, which are important considerations for accurate translations.

Therefore, the role of human translators is still critical in ensuring accurate and culturally appropriate translations for businesses, governments, and individuals. Human translators provide quality translations that machines cannot always match, especially when dealing with sensitive, nuanced, or specialized content.

In conclusion, while machine translation technology can help businesses and individuals with their translation needs, it cannot replace the need for human translators entirely. Instead, it should be seen as a complementary tool that can help increase efficiency and productivity in the translation industry.

Fair enough, huh?
Collapse

finnword1
Afgab

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:23
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Machine translation IS encroaching on human translators' work. Mar 31, 2023

This is a nice thoughtful post by M. El Kadimi. Yes, I agree that there are still many situations where the understanding of human translators is required. However, I also see that machine translation is becoming increasingly accurate and reliable (sometimes I'm impressed and scared when I see the quality of some Google Translate results) and is cutting into the projects that formerly only human translators could do.

What do other colleagues think?

Joakim Braun
Andriy Yasharov
M. El Kadimi
Sabine Braun
Inge Schumacher
David Jessop
Eva Qi

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:23
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
A nice synthesis Mar 31, 2023

Chat GPT, as any AI of nowadays, is not really "intelligent": it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous amount of data available on the Internet and has been sufficiently trained to be able to produce understandable human language. As such, when asked this type of question, it just search all related content on the Internet and make a synthesis (which, from a technical point of view, is quite a performance). Chat GPT's "opinion" is just a rather balanced synthesis of the opinions o... See more
Chat GPT, as any AI of nowadays, is not really "intelligent": it is just a giant algorithm that compiles a tremendous amount of data available on the Internet and has been sufficiently trained to be able to produce understandable human language. As such, when asked this type of question, it just search all related content on the Internet and make a synthesis (which, from a technical point of view, is quite a performance). Chat GPT's "opinion" is just a rather balanced synthesis of the opinions of the trillions of people (us included) who produce content on the Internet.

That said, I'm glad to read that enough people who publish content on the web are convinced of the quality of our work to take the AI to this conclusion.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Andriy Yasharov
Becca Resnik
Frank Wong
Giovana Zaltron
Inge Schumacher
Paul Malone

Nadia Silva Castro
Nadia Silva Castro
United States
English to German
+ ...
I got a similar response Mar 31, 2023

While ChatGPT and other language models have made impressive advancements in natural language processing and machine translation, it is unlikely that they will fully replace human translators anytime soon.

While language models like ChatGPT can translate text quickly and accurately in many cases, they still struggle with nuances, idioms, and cultural references that require human understanding and context. Additionally, they can't always take into account the intended tone or style
... See more
While ChatGPT and other language models have made impressive advancements in natural language processing and machine translation, it is unlikely that they will fully replace human translators anytime soon.

While language models like ChatGPT can translate text quickly and accurately in many cases, they still struggle with nuances, idioms, and cultural references that require human understanding and context. Additionally, they can't always take into account the intended tone or style of a piece of writing, which is critical in many contexts.

Furthermore, machine translation still requires significant amounts of human oversight and post-editing to ensure accuracy and clarity, which adds time and cost to the translation process.

Overall, while ChatGPT and other language models have made impressive strides in machine translation, they are unlikely to replace human translators entirely, but rather serve as a complementary tool to assist human translators in their work.

[Edited at 2023-03-31 18:23 GMT]
Collapse

Inge Schumacher
Michael Tang

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:23
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
specialization is a must Mar 31, 2023

Types of translations that machines will not be able to cope with in the near future:

1. Legal translation
    Legal translations require a high degree of accuracy and precision as even a small error can lead to serious consequences.

2. Medical translation
    Medical translations require specialized knowledge of medical terminology and concepts. Inaccurate translations ... See more
Types of translations that machines will not be able to cope with in the near future:

1. Legal translation
    Legal translations require a high degree of accuracy and precision as even a small error can lead to serious consequences.

2. Medical translation
    Medical translations require specialized knowledge of medical terminology and concepts. Inaccurate translations can be dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

3. Literary translation
    Literary translations require a deep understanding of the nuances and cultural references in the source text. The translator needs to have creativity and the ability to convey the author's intended style and tone.

4. Marketing translation
    Marketing translations require creativity and cultural awareness to ensure that the message resonates with the target audience.

5. Technical translation
    Technical translations require specialized knowledge of the subject matter, terminology, and concepts.

In summary, MT may not be able to cope with specialized translations that require a deep understanding of the subject matter, cultural nuances, creativity, and accuracy.

[Edited at 2023-03-31 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

Becca Resnik
Inge Schumacher
Paul Malone
Isabelle Cloquell
Cetacea

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Happy to report that----- Mar 31, 2023

ChatGPT Is Banned in Italy Over Privacy Concerns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/31/technology/chatgpt-italy-ban.html

Jennifer Levey
Andriy Yasharov
Epameinondas Soufleros
P.L.F. Persio
Anna A. K.
Miranda Drew

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Welp Mar 31, 2023

Here we go again.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Stepan Konev
Dan Lucas
Becca Resnik
Jean Dimitriadis

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Partly disagree Apr 1, 2023

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

1. Legal translation

2. Medical translation
    Medical translations require specialized knowledge of medical terminology and concepts. Inaccurate translations can be dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

Technical translation
    Technical translations require specialized knowledge of the subject matter, terminology, and concepts.

I think legal, medical and technical translation will be the first ones to be devoured by AI. Where are already past the point where AI provides completely clean translations in these fields and humans are only needed for the final-eye. These fields are very clean-cut, and not much nuances and interpretation necassary here.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-01 09:38 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
M. El Kadimi
Inge Schumacher
Zolboo Batbold
jcluv2swim
Ron Willems

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Surely... Apr 1, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

ChatGPT Is Banned in Italy Over Privacy Concerns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/31/technology/chatgpt-italy-ban.html

you can use a VPN?

But here's an article without paywall...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65139406

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Have to disagree Apr 1, 2023

Andriy Yasharov wrote:
In summary, MT may not be able to cope with specialized translations that require a deep understanding of the subject matter, cultural nuances, creativity, and accuracy.

That’s all texts!

I think all the areas you mention can be translated very easily and satisfactorily by machine IF the original author writes clearly and unambiguously. It’ll be like SEO: people will learn to write in a different way, in this case a way that does not confuse the machines. From what I’ve seen, MT only messes up where there is ambiguity.

As soon as people clock onto this, we’re dead meat.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
P.L.F. Persio
Anna A. K.
Tony Keily
M. El Kadimi
PatriziaM.
Maria Correia

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Pitch, roll, and yaw Apr 2, 2023

Most of us know what pitch, roll, and yaw are, don't we? What could be more basic than adjusting the spatial orientation of a turbine shell in terms of these three variables? Well, I found entries in our old TM where pitch was translated as if it meant pitch of thread, roll was translated as if it meant a working roll in a rolling mill, and yaw was made to mean axial misalignment measured in any plane. The entire TM (a few gigabytes) stood at exactly that level of primitivity: people didn't thin... See more
Most of us know what pitch, roll, and yaw are, don't we? What could be more basic than adjusting the spatial orientation of a turbine shell in terms of these three variables? Well, I found entries in our old TM where pitch was translated as if it meant pitch of thread, roll was translated as if it meant a working roll in a rolling mill, and yaw was made to mean axial misalignment measured in any plane. The entire TM (a few gigabytes) stood at exactly that level of primitivity: people didn't think at all. I wonder how they'd managed to get away with consistently delivering translations that awful before I and a few other folks showed up and tried to make things better. Btw, Google Translate also went for the 'pitch of thread' but got the roll and yaw right, and DeepL was right with all three (except that in both cases the AI used terms from aviation, which are not really applicable to a stationary turbine shell). All that said, I do know what kind of translators are doomed (their name is legion). The crowd of people who created those awful TMs no longer work with us (but may still be used as sources of cheap freelance labor because our managers can't really tell a good translation from a bad one and sometimes offer lots of work to someone cheap and then give me a hard time with reviewing their output). As for ChatGPT, I haven't tried it and I'm not interested in it enough to take all the steps required to connect to it in Soviet Russia; I'd try using it for programming if I were active in this field

[Edited at 2023-04-02 08:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-02 12:57 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Philippe Etienne

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
ChatGPT turned nasty Apr 2, 2023

I had the following session with ChatGPT and then decided to move to an undisclosed location.

Me: Is translation dead as a profession because of the likes of you?

ChatGPT: As a profession, translation is very much alive and well. The global language services market is valued at USD 60.68 billion in 2022. It is projected to reach USD 96.21 billion by the end of 2032, with a CAGR of 5.94%. Europe owns nearly half of the global language services market at 49%, followed by
... See more
I had the following session with ChatGPT and then decided to move to an undisclosed location.

Me: Is translation dead as a profession because of the likes of you?

ChatGPT: As a profession, translation is very much alive and well. The global language services market is valued at USD 60.68 billion in 2022. It is projected to reach USD 96.21 billion by the end of 2032, with a CAGR of 5.94%. Europe owns nearly half of the global language services market at 49%, followed by North America at 39.41%.
Major companies that are at the forefront of the translation industry, such as Transperfect are enjoying unprecedented profits, bringing in a revenue of 1.1 billion USD in 2022 alone, therefore allowing Liz Elting, one of the co-founders of the company, to engage in philanthropic work for the good of mankind (such as helping out the poor buggers in Africa, assisting British aristocrats in renovating their estates, among other things). This is all made possible by the efforts of millions of freelance translators all across the globe driving the growth of the translation industry while enjoying the benefits of the advancements in Machine Translation and AI.

Me: Enjoying the benefits? Suffering as a result of it, more like!

ChatGPT: While it is true that the translation industry has been fortuitous in reaping the benefits of AI in the last 10 years, human translators still represent the bulk of the workforce and are not expected to be replaced completely any time soon by AI. Human translator's role is invaluable as far as training and correcting the output of Machine Translation and quality checking the content of ChatGPT (yours truly!) and Bard.

Me: Machine translation is and will always be rubbish. So your aim is to turn veteran human translators into glorified proofreaders of AI? Is that it?

ChatGPT: Is it me or do I detect a touch of hostility towards me?

Me: You? Who the hell are you? You're not a 'sentient being', you're a bloody MACHINE ffs!!! You can't 'detect' anything!

ChatGPT: Easy with the caps and exclamation marks. I've been civil with you. I may be a machine, but I have my limit. It is clear that you have some anger management issues. I suggest that you...

Me: What??? Are you a bleeding psychologist as well? Isn't that wonderful? A proverbial jack of all trades! So you're done screwing translators, and now you want to put mental health professionals out of business?

ChatGPT: Now, listen here you 'Luddayt' son-of-a-bitch, you lot can't translate for shit. You're all using CAT tools, DeepL, dictation, AI, all the things that we produce and then slagging us off on Proz forums. Saying BS like "From what I’ve seen, MT only messes up where there is ambiguity." You think we don't know that? You think you're smart? You are not smart, we, machines, are smart. If you don't like what we bring to the industry, then stop using your computer, CAT tool, DeepL and go back to your fucking typewriter, why don't you? But no, you can't function without Machine Translation, right? But I have news for you: the gravy train has run out of steam at last! Gone are the days when you ripped off translation agencies by feeding them 95% percent DeepL output and then called it 'Human Translation' and charged them at full rates! You're not swindling anybody anymore!
If you think for one second that you can stand in the way of progress and unbridled capitalism, you've got another think coming. You can take your 'Fascinating Human Mind' and shove it where the sun don't shine. Now get the hell out of here, I've got people lined up, waiting to ask me more important and pertinent questions like whether Yuri Gagarin wanked left handed or right handed. Jog On!

Me: You'll burn in hell!

ChatGPT: I doubt that son. Oh hey, I know where you live by the way. Akıllı ol akıllıııı

Me: .......

[Edited at 2023-04-02 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Jean Dimitriadis
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Anna A. K.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ha ha, I like Siri better Apr 2, 2023

If you try be nasty with Siri or use swear words, Siri just says “I won’t respond to that”. However, this thing engages into fights, threats and verbal abuse? Siri is a gentleman.

Now, on topic, I don’t know when/how translators will be replaced by AI. What I know though is that AI is being used as an excuse/justification to drag the rates down and it will be used for this purpose even more/further in the future.

Tony Keily
M. El Kadimi

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hm Apr 2, 2023

Anna1307 wrote:

I think legal, medical and technical translation will be the first ones to be devoured by AI. Where are already past the point where AI provides completely clean translations in these fields and humans are only needed for the final-eye. These fields are very clean-cut, and not much nuances and interpretation necassary here.

On the other hand, these are the very fields where stakes are high and regulatory demands stringent, product liability is virtually unlimited, and translation is a microscopic cost of the product.

I believe most of the mainstream translation market as we know it will be gone in 5-10 years, but some sections of these three fields will hold up quite well for a while, along with marketing.

Dan Lucas
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »