Is it possible to save translations in Across?
ناشر الموضوع: Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi  Identity Verified
إيطاليا
Local time: 22:29
ألماني إلى إيطالي
+ ...
Jul 19, 2012

Hello everybody,

I was just wondering if it's somehow possibile to save the job you have done in Across.
What happens if one day your computer doesn't start anymore?
I have been told there is no way to save the job done, if you're are afraid your PC has problems, just upload the job you have done until now.

Thank you for your help

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
أستراليا
Local time: 05:59
عضو
أنجليزي إلى سويدي
Deliver to the server Jul 19, 2012

Hi,

If you are using the remote client then you are right. There is no way of saving a copy locally, you will have to deliver the document to the server.

Personally I do that at the end of the day if I work on a large project, just in case something goes wrong with the computer. If it does you can then retrieve it from another computer and continue with your translation.

Asa

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 16:29
روسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
I did not know there were programs where you could not save your work Jul 19, 2012

would that be possible that your work cannot be saved? Saving, or even more, automatic saving of your work, is the most important thing for a translator, much more important than TM. Lay-out and organization of the text would be number two, in my opinion, something that helps the translator to make the text look presentable. Various spell checking programs will be number three, in my opinion. I am sure Across must allow saving. Otherwise it would be just a joke of a program.

Thierry Raymond
Thierry Raymond  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
عضو (2008)
ألماني إلى فرنسي
Export as TMX Jul 19, 2012

Hello,

There is one way:

Open crosstank, then export as TMX (you will have to define some settings).

However some clients choose to block this Export function...

Thierry

Maria Teresa Pozzi
إيطاليا
ألماني إلى إيطالي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
This seams the easiest way Jul 19, 2012

One question: if you upload the job at the end of each day, is it still on your computer the next day or do you have to donwload it again every time?

Åsa Campbell
أستراليا
عضو
أنجليزي إلى سويدي
On the computer Jul 19, 2012

Hi,

The job will still be on your computer as long as you don't mark the files as 'finished' when you deliver them to the server.

Asa

Maria Teresa Pozzi
إيطاليا
ألماني إلى إيطالي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Sorry Asa Jul 19, 2012

Can you tell me the exact procedure you follow?
Thanks so much
Tea

Thierry Raymond
Thierry Raymond  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
عضو (2008)
ألماني إلى فرنسي
Upload Jul 19, 2012

Are you sure, Åsa?

I think, tasks can only be uploaded after they have been fully translated and then disappear from across.

Thierry

Åsa Campbell
أستراليا
عضو
أنجليزي إلى سويدي
I'm sure Jul 20, 2012

I do this all the time, but you have to make sure that the documents are not selected on the second screen when you deliver the files, se below.

In the deliver task wizard, do this:

1) Click 'Next' in the first screen
2) Select 'Upload task(s) to the server directly (crossWan load)' and click 'Next'
3) Select the file(s) you want to deliver (upload) and click 'Next'
4) Make sure the file(s) are NOT SELECTED in the next screen, there is a warning at the
... See more
I do this all the time, but you have to make sure that the documents are not selected on the second screen when you deliver the files, se below.

In the deliver task wizard, do this:

1) Click 'Next' in the first screen
2) Select 'Upload task(s) to the server directly (crossWan load)' and click 'Next'
3) Select the file(s) you want to deliver (upload) and click 'Next'
4) Make sure the file(s) are NOT SELECTED in the next screen, there is a warning at the top saying 'Select the tasks which you have completed or do not work with any longer. These tasks can be viewed.... etc.' and click 'Next'
5) Wait for the file(s) to be delivered (uploaded)

That's it, there is now a back up of your job on the server and you can continue to work with the documents on your computer. If you now have a problem with your computer you can retrieve the files from a different computer using the cap file your client has provided you with.

Hope this helps,
Asa
Collapse

Maria Teresa Pozzi
إيطاليا
ألماني إلى إيطالي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thank you very much Jul 20, 2012

I'll try

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to save translations in Across?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »