Thomas Seligmann
Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 01:40
French to English
+ ...
May 31, 2012

Good evening,

I have a cwu file to work on without a cap file.

I have done work for this client in the past, who has provided instructions saying you can go onto the standalone edition and upload it without a cap. I think this is untrue (?), these instructions did not work because certain functions/menus/icons it described were simply not there. I could not work this out but my solution was to go onto a different cap for a different client, then doing a direct upload of
... See more
Good evening,

I have a cwu file to work on without a cap file.

I have done work for this client in the past, who has provided instructions saying you can go onto the standalone edition and upload it without a cap. I think this is untrue (?), these instructions did not work because certain functions/menus/icons it described were simply not there. I could not work this out but my solution was to go onto a different cap for a different client, then doing a direct upload of the .cwu from there (cheating kind of, using someone else's cap, but always worked). Now that cap seems to have expired (saying the username doesn't exist (I only did one job for this client and that was 6 months ago, so I understand that they might have got rid of the username)), and it won't work on any of my other caps.

The Across manual/FAQ/instructions are absolutely appaling, with regular instructions e.g. to click on an icon/menu header that doesn't even exist, or to click on options in the menu that do not even appear in the menu, etc. Does anyone else find this?

So basically, does anyone know if it's possible to do anything if you have a .cwu file to translate without a .cap? Thank you.
Collapse

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:10
English to Swedish
You need a CAP file Jun 1, 2012

Hi,

As far as I know you always need a CAP file to open a CWU file. The CWU file can then either be retrieved directly from your clients server, or the client can email it to you.

Can you not ask your client to issue a new CAP file for you? It seems a bit strange that they expect you to work without it.

I agree with your comments on the help in Across!

Sorry for not being of more help,
Asa

Thomas Seligmann
Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 01:40
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 2, 2012

Thank you Åsa for the confirmation/reassurance, I am sure this is correct too! The client has now sent a .cwu that works with my old caps (they still don't have their own cap!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uploading a CWU without a CAP file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »