elisa casaretto
elisa casaretto
Austria
Local time: 12:02
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 8, 2018

Hi,

I was just wondering if somebody can help me: I sometimes work for a company directly through a server connection. Unfortunately they do not use any translation software so I would like to know if there is a tool which I can use myself online to translate just to avoid translating 100 times the same thing. I know that Matecat works for files and projects, but that is not my case.

Thank you in advance!
Elisa

Jagpreet Singh
Jagpreet Singh
India
Local time: 16:32
English to French
+ ...
Translation Mar 10, 2018

Hi you can use Microsoft translator which provides pretty good translation.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No experience, but Mar 10, 2018

I've never worked with that type of setup myself, but can't you just copy the text for translation into a standard format such as Microsoft Word, do the translation with whatever CAT tools you see fit, and then copy or upload the translated work back into the system?

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 07:02
English
What are you editing/translating? Mar 15, 2018

Elsia,

I don't understand your client's setup. You said, "directly through a server connection." Do they have a custom application that you use to connect to the server? Are you connecting to the back-end of something like Wordpress with a browser? Every server has a client. A browser is one kind of client. So, the answer to you question depends on what is the server and what kind of client does it expect?

Tom

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What tool Mar 15, 2018

elisa casaretto wrote:
I sometimes work for a company directly through a server connection.

In what program do you do the translation, then? Is this browser-based, or do you log in to their computer directly from your computer? If browser-based, what is the name of the system that they're using (if you are free to tell us)?

If there is no way for you to extract the source text to a file on your computer, then I think the only way to do what you're asking would be to use a typing assistant-like tool. But you need one that can capture more than just one word at a time. An old favourite is LetMeType. There are some paid tools out there but none very good.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Yes, more info needed Mar 16, 2018

Tom Hoar wrote:

Every server has a client. A browser is one kind of client. So, the answer to you question depends on what is the server and what kind of client does it expect?

Quite right. Put in other words: Where (client-side or server-side?) runs the editor software and what is the name/type of this editor?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
German to English
Clipboard utility Mar 19, 2018

About 20 years ago I had a translation project that involved logging into a web site and entering translations into boxes. (I don't recall the name of the program the site used) I was unable to download the text to be translated, so I resorted to a MS Clipboard substitute since there was a fair amount of repetitive text.
Here's a web page wit
... See more
About 20 years ago I had a translation project that involved logging into a web site and entering translations into boxes. (I don't recall the name of the program the site used) I was unable to download the text to be translated, so I resorted to a MS Clipboard substitute since there was a fair amount of repetitive text.
Here's a web page with a list of such utilities:
https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-clipboard-replacement-utility.htm

MS Evernote (comes with Windows 10) is another possibility.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resources to translate through a server connection

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »