spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 02:42
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone! Mar 5, 2011

So the general consensus seems to be that geographic locations commonly recognized in English without their accent marks should be written as such, regardless of whether it is a state, country, city, etc. Practical usage is indeed inconsistent. However, it should still be done this way.

Regarding names of persons, the generally accepted rule seems to be to leave in accent marks. Whereas "José" certainly has the right to write his own name without the accent if he pleases, as a gene
... See more
So the general consensus seems to be that geographic locations commonly recognized in English without their accent marks should be written as such, regardless of whether it is a state, country, city, etc. Practical usage is indeed inconsistent. However, it should still be done this way.

Regarding names of persons, the generally accepted rule seems to be to leave in accent marks. Whereas "José" certainly has the right to write his own name without the accent if he pleases, as a general rule, we, as translators and writers, should leave the accent in his name.

Thanks, everyone, for the well thought-out responses.
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does it exist in English? Mar 5, 2011

My practice is that it depends on whether the word exists in English or not, all country names therefore get translated, some city names get translated but if the city/place does not have a translation then I would leave as is therefore Málaga would be Malaga but Palazón de los Arcos, would be Palazón de los Arcos.

Peoples names are always reproduced in the original form that includes accents, german umlauts, french accents, etc. If Jose is written Jose you should reproduce as Jo
... See more
My practice is that it depends on whether the word exists in English or not, all country names therefore get translated, some city names get translated but if the city/place does not have a translation then I would leave as is therefore Málaga would be Malaga but Palazón de los Arcos, would be Palazón de los Arcos.

Peoples names are always reproduced in the original form that includes accents, german umlauts, french accents, etc. If Jose is written Jose you should reproduce as Jose and if it says José you should say José.
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
About people's names Mar 5, 2011

I just wanted to to add that there are of course people's names which have traditionally been translated or transliterated from Spanish into English (either no accents, or even fully translated).

The most interesting example I have come across of different usage for the same name is "Simón Bolivar (with accent) vs Simon Bolivar Buckne
... See more
I just wanted to to add that there are of course people's names which have traditionally been translated or transliterated from Spanish into English (either no accents, or even fully translated).

The most interesting example I have come across of different usage for the same name is "Simón Bolivar (with accent) vs Simon Bolivar Buckner (a US Civil War general, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Bolivar_Buckner, without accent).

Names can also have their tradition which one should follow.

Daniel
Collapse

Hardeep Kaur
Hardeep Kaur
India
Spanish accent marks in English Jan 16, 2020

Well, the Spanish accent marks exist in English names or some words because of the early modern English writers. Commonly the accent is seen in the novels and are used due to influence of a speaker's native language or native dialect on the English words they speak.

I think to establish their unique voice the writers use accent on the important character, especially in a story with a
... See more
Well, the Spanish accent marks exist in English names or some words because of the early modern English writers. Commonly the accent is seen in the novels and are used due to influence of a speaker's native language or native dialect on the English words they speak.

I think to establish their unique voice the writers use accent on the important character, especially in a story with a large cast of characters.

https://www.thelingoworld.com/general/spanish-accent-marks

[Edited at 2020-01-16 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accent marks in Spanish words used in English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »