Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2021

I have just been contacted by an EU-based agency to say that after Brexit the GDPR-related data protection agreement I have with them is no longer seen as acceptable by their lawyers. They are exploring various - cumbersome - ways forward, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this new Brexit-problem.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Leaving the EU was one of the dumbest things the UK has ever done Jan 19, 2021

I'm afraid this is just the beginning. I've already come across quite a few things that have now become more complicated, expensive and annoying since the UK left the EU.

For example, I sent a photobook to a family member for Christmas this year. I was a bit late, and so sent it once the UK had left the EU. Here is what I had to do to send it via Parcelforce courier (which already wasn't cheap):

• Print out, complete and sign 4 invoices and 3 forms (!!!) and attach th
... See more
I'm afraid this is just the beginning. I've already come across quite a few things that have now become more complicated, expensive and annoying since the UK left the EU.

For example, I sent a photobook to a family member for Christmas this year. I was a bit late, and so sent it once the UK had left the EU. Here is what I had to do to send it via Parcelforce courier (which already wasn't cheap):

• Print out, complete and sign 4 invoices and 3 forms (!!!) and attach them to my package in a clear plastic envelope labelled ‘Customs Documents’
• Complete another form with the Parcelforce delivery guy who came to collect the parcel
• The recipient then had to pay an extra €25 upon receiving the item (which no one warned me about!; great gift to receive, one you first have to pay for)

If this is what ‘taking back control’ looks like, you can have your control back! I just want to be able to send things to Europe at a reasonable price. Is that too much to ask?

I'm no historian or economist, but so far leaving seems like one of the dumbest things this country has ever done.

Michael

-------------
Sorry, back to your topic:
Great, so now we will probably have to sign a whole bunch of new (pointless) documents, all over again.

[Edited at 2021-01-19 18:25 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 19, 2021

No, presumably because UK data protection law is effectively the same. But at worst you have to sign a new contract, no? It’s their problem, not yours 🤷‍♂️

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
No changes yet, but watch this space Jan 19, 2021

I haven't experienced any problems in this regard. A couple of weeks ago, I watched a 45-minute-long government webinar about the issue. It was not one of the most professional webinars I've ever seen, shall we say, and the title gave the impression that the rules have changed, but what I eventually found out - both during the webinar and elsewhere through my own research online - is that the rules haven't changed yet.

My vague (and very possibly imperfect) understanding is this. U
... See more
I haven't experienced any problems in this regard. A couple of weeks ago, I watched a 45-minute-long government webinar about the issue. It was not one of the most professional webinars I've ever seen, shall we say, and the title gave the impression that the rules have changed, but what I eventually found out - both during the webinar and elsewhere through my own research online - is that the rules haven't changed yet.

My vague (and very possibly imperfect) understanding is this. Under the eleventh-hour agreement that was eventually reached, the EU and the UK decided that the rules regarding personal data flows between them will stay the same for now pending an "adequacy decision" which may, or may not, be taken by the European Commission by the end of April. If it decides that the UK's data protection laws are adequate in its eyes, then it's likely that little or nothing will change in practice after that. The Commission might decide to delay its decision until the end of June if it feels it needs more time. So it's a case of "watch this space". What the government is suggesting in the meantime is that businesses add something called "Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs)" to their data protection agreements with business partners in case an adequacy decision is not granted, but personally, I'll only cross that bridge if I come to it as it looks like a bit of a faff.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Julia Burgess

Julia Burgess
Julia Burgess  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Advice on post-Brexit GDPR from the ATC Jan 20, 2021

Last week, the ATC's CEO, Raisa McNab, gave a free webinar on precisely this subject - I think you'll find it useful. She has given me permission to post a link to the recording: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/t1fUgRVU_Xf3rL14Pk468dUoc4XdR4sPbLVuet_YVTeVri7oZ-S_DUqklOwGPoqe.Y51re6ExBQfF9l59

Not sure how to
... See more
Last week, the ATC's CEO, Raisa McNab, gave a free webinar on precisely this subject - I think you'll find it useful. She has given me permission to post a link to the recording: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/t1fUgRVU_Xf3rL14Pk468dUoc4XdR4sPbLVuet_YVTeVri7oZ-S_DUqklOwGPoqe.Y51re6ExBQfF9l59

Not sure how to upload the PDF slides here, but you should be able to see the text in the recording.

There's also lots of (sometimes bewildering) information on the ICO website. You might want to start here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/dp-at-the-end-of-the-transition-period/end-of-transition-interactive-tool-for-small-businesses/end-of-transition-interactive-tool-for-small-businesses-report/

I've not had any requests to complete SCCs yet - they look like a real headache, so I sincerely hope we get an adequacy ruling and avoid the need!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Clear plastic envelope Jan 20, 2021

Michael Beijer wrote:

.....leaving seems like one of the dumbest things this country has ever done.

Michael

Yes, and the people who voted for it are just beginning enjoy the fruits of their wise, well-informed, carefully thought-through decision. They are sitting in sunlit uplands, free at last from the evil Brussels red tape.

BTW where did you get the clear plastic envelope (to contain the triplicate forms, without which your parcel would not have been accepted)?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
For example Jan 20, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

BTW where did you get the clear plastic envelope (to contain the triplicate forms, without which your parcel would not have been accepted)?

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/office-depot-document-enclosed-envelopes-c5-229-w-x-162-h-mm-self-adhesive-printed-pack-of-250-p-3413307?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surface_google&cm_mmc=Google-_-PLA_All_Click_Low_GOSC-_-Ad%20group-_-3413307&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IycNjsqojCrKr4Wky5rwcTKmpxQ7bwsBqIEtKLI3C3ZHGFAIXip9QrxoCJo0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 21, 2021

Thanks to all who replied - those who vented (I share their feelings) and those - especially Julia - who gave helpful advice.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ha ha Jan 22, 2021

I actually butchered on of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Punched-Pockets-Folders-Document/dp/B07L16QFBF/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2DM1X2WUDR7JI&dchild=1&keywords=document%20plastic%20sleeves&qid=1611327524&sprefix=document%20plastic%20,aps,149&sr=8-9

The blissful feeling of sovereignty, however, has made all this wasted time and money feel supremely worthwhile and meaningful

Christopher Schröder

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

GDPR after Brexit

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »