Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
German to French
+ ...
Jan 28, 2013

Hi all,

If you are using Facebook to network with colleagues and potential clients, you might be interested - http://gxplanguageservices.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/7-myths-in-using-facebook-for-business-and-in-general/

What other myth/habit do you see there that you would add to this list?

Cheer
... See more
Hi all,

If you are using Facebook to network with colleagues and potential clients, you might be interested - http://gxplanguageservices.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/7-myths-in-using-facebook-for-business-and-in-general/

What other myth/habit do you see there that you would add to this list?

Cheers,
Anne
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Something to add Jan 28, 2013

Reasons not to use Facebook

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Love it Jan 28, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

I was on Facebook for around 4 1/2 minutes. The time it took me to sign up and then delete my "membership". I still feel a sense of relief. Imo, Facebook is one scary place to be. Talk about invasive.....

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Like Jan 28, 2013

writeaway wrote:

esperantisto wrote:

I was on Facebook for around 4 1/2 minutes. The time it took me to sign up and then delete my "membership". I still feel a sense of relief. Imo, Facebook is one scary place to be. Talk about invasive.....

It is scary indeed. All the things FB (or others) could possibly do with your personal information is creepy. So count me in as another person you won't find on Facebook.

(Amazing, though, how many people succumb to peer pressure and just can't resist joining - after all, "everyone is on FB".)

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not only yours Jan 28, 2013

inkweaver wrote:

All the things FB (or others) could possibly do with your personal information…

Not only yours. Here’s my story. Someone has created an FB account using my e-mail address. This is not something I like. I have never used FB and only logged in once to modify that account password to something by randomly pressing keys. Obviously, I haven’t provided any personal detail of mine. That person did not manage to log in, which I conclude by FB arrogantly bombing my e-mail with messages suggesting to return to FB. First, they suggested me to make friends with some unknown persons probably from African countries (guessing by names). Recently, however, FB started suggesting people that I know! Again, I did not provide any personal data, which makes me think that FB does phishing of personal data from other people’s accounts.

My conclusion:
1. Never sign up to FB!
2. If you’ve made such a mistake:
2.1. do not provide any personal data, and
2.2. immediately log off.
3. Install Mozilla Firefox (or, better, GNU IceCat with its privacy extension), install AdBlock Edge to it and block off any web page element containing facebook in its name, for example, your filter should be:
||facebook.com^

And do put that nice banner to your pages/forums:

[Edited at 2013-01-28 18:08 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:56
English
+ ...
LinkedIn Jan 28, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

Recently, however, FB started suggesting people that I know! Again, I did not provide any personal data, which makes me think that FB does phishing of personal data from other people’s accounts.

I don’t think the evidence supports this. More likely, it’s just people that you know tried searching you by email address (since that is your email address), finding you, and tried adding you. That’s how Facebook would have known people you actually know.

The same cannot be said for LinkedIn; the way it finds people you know is much creepier than Facebook.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:56
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

the Big One: privacy controls Jan 29, 2013

Hi Anne,

Thanks for sharing this, although no surprises there.. I would add only one other myth to the list, but it is a big one: contrary to popular belief, it is *not* Facebook (or LinkedIn, or Google+, or whichever) that shares your information -- it is *you* the user. So there is really one single rule to keep in mind to safely navigate on the Internet highway without getting a flat tire or, God forbid, ending up in a head-on collision (figuratively speaking) and that is, be
... See more
Hi Anne,

Thanks for sharing this, although no surprises there.. I would add only one other myth to the list, but it is a big one: contrary to popular belief, it is *not* Facebook (or LinkedIn, or Google+, or whichever) that shares your information -- it is *you* the user. So there is really one single rule to keep in mind to safely navigate on the Internet highway without getting a flat tire or, God forbid, ending up in a head-on collision (figuratively speaking) and that is, be mindful of what you disclose about yourself and others, because the second you ''share'' anything, it is no longer private. Plain and simple.

I'll ''see'' you out there! : )
-Ildikó
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
a dissenting opinion ! Jan 29, 2013

I have been on FB for over 5 years, with my real name, DOB, place where I was born & studied etc. and nothing horrible happened to me. It is a nice place to share pictures and chat with friends from other countries (I have over 1,500 posted pictures). It is not more dangerous that the ATA list ! It depends what you post and what links you open ! I have seen more translators being scammed when their names were picked from the ATA list, than from FB. It is a matter of common sense how to use it, ... See more
I have been on FB for over 5 years, with my real name, DOB, place where I was born & studied etc. and nothing horrible happened to me. It is a nice place to share pictures and chat with friends from other countries (I have over 1,500 posted pictures). It is not more dangerous that the ATA list ! It depends what you post and what links you open ! I have seen more translators being scammed when their names were picked from the ATA list, than from FB. It is a matter of common sense how to use it, but I know many people (especially in my age-group) that are paranoid about it.Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Mostly agreeing with Ildiko Jan 29, 2013

Ildiko Santana wrote:

I would add only one other myth to the list, but it is a big one: contrary to popular belief, it is *not* Facebook (or LinkedIn, or Google+, or whichever) that shares your information -- it is *you* the user.

Totally agreed, except for the fine print that there is such a thing as “public information” as far as Facebook privacy goes, and the definition of “public” has over the years been getting looser and looser. So more and more information are indeed being shared (even if they are not shown on the web page) without the possibility to restrict the sharing.

As esperantisto’s experience shows, just setting a random password on Facebook and forgetting about it is definitely not the way to go. As far as Facebook goes, you are still an “active member” with a “valid email address.” If you don’t want your Facebook account, you need to properly shut it down.

Facebook is too useful Jan 29, 2013

As invasive as it is, I feel as if the pros of facebook far outweigh the cons. As someone who travels the world, and has a multitude of friends from all over, Facebook is just the most simple way to keep in touch with all of them.

Though for most uses I absoultely hate it, I can't live without it.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A new reason to reject FB Feb 3, 2013

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/facebook-graph-search-mines-rich-data-phishers-attackers-012813

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
@ esperantisto Feb 3, 2013

Living in a bubble is no fun.
Indeed, one can avoid any trouble in life just by living in a bubble and avoid any challenge. A very safe life, but extremely boooring to me.
Your post ends with " Users need to be educated to the dangers of these things" , that means one has to use its brain cells to differentiate between good and bad.
How come that with so much information posted by myself on FB, never been "phish-targeted"? Probably I have been, but never opened those links. Aga
... See more
Living in a bubble is no fun.
Indeed, one can avoid any trouble in life just by living in a bubble and avoid any challenge. A very safe life, but extremely boooring to me.
Your post ends with " Users need to be educated to the dangers of these things" , that means one has to use its brain cells to differentiate between good and bad.
How come that with so much information posted by myself on FB, never been "phish-targeted"? Probably I have been, but never opened those links. Again, it is a matter of common sense. It requires a little effort but it is worth it.
Your message sounds like "Don't climb any mountain because you may fall" or "Don't swim in the ocean because there are sharks". Where is the fun in life?

Lee
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:56
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I stopped using Facebook Feb 3, 2013

...as soon as I got to translate confidential IT training texts about how to exploit Facebook data.

No, thanks. Bye, bye!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
... and for 5 years I have been translating Feb 3, 2013

confidential data from cyber criminals and keep being on FB !

[Edited at 2013-02-03 17:48 GMT]

I do not try to defend FB, just hate the unjustified paranoia...

[Edited at 2013-02-03 18:52 GMT]

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
A different idea of fun Feb 3, 2013

Perhaps others' ideas of fun simply don't include Facebook.

Strange, though, how avid FB users always seem to feel offended as soon as someone dares to voice an opinion against their holy grail.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Seven Facebook myths

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »