John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 8, 2020

I have received a job from a client for which they provided the source text as a *.docx file and a Trados bilingual review file as a *.review.docx file.

The bilingual review file has been pretranslated from their in-house TM and the target segments have matches anywhere from 50% to 100%/CM. These matches are very useful but many of them are not final and need anywhere from revision to complete re-translation. I was hoping I could import the review file into Trados so the pretranslat
... See more
I have received a job from a client for which they provided the source text as a *.docx file and a Trados bilingual review file as a *.review.docx file.

The bilingual review file has been pretranslated from their in-house TM and the target segments have matches anywhere from 50% to 100%/CM. These matches are very useful but many of them are not final and need anywhere from revision to complete re-translation. I was hoping I could import the review file into Trados so the pretranslation shows up in the target text, along with their % matches.

I imported the source document into SDL Trados Studio (2017), but have not been able to populate the target text and the match percentages from the bilingual review file. I tried Batch Tasks > Update from bilingual review, but it doesn't work, even though the source segments in the Review document are identical to the source segments in Trados - nothing is imported.

Any ideas how I can make use of the pretranslation in Trados?
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask for the SDLXLIFF file Jan 8, 2020

That is the easiest and fastest solution.

Alternatively, using the file you created from the source document...
1. Copy source to target
2. Create a bilingual review file
3. Copy the right column from the file your client sent you to the bilingual review file you just created
4. Update your document in Trados using Update from bilingual review.

This will only work if the segmentation is identical, otherwise you will have to manually edit some seg
... See more
That is the easiest and fastest solution.

Alternatively, using the file you created from the source document...
1. Copy source to target
2. Create a bilingual review file
3. Copy the right column from the file your client sent you to the bilingual review file you just created
4. Update your document in Trados using Update from bilingual review.

This will only work if the segmentation is identical, otherwise you will have to manually edit some segments in Word before updating the SDLXLIFF in Trados.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Jan 8, 2020

John Fossey wrote:

Rats.

The bilingual review file has been pretranslated from their in-house TM and the target segments have matches anywhere from 50% to 100%/CM. These matches are very useful but many of them are not final and need anywhere from revision to complete re-translation.

Let me guess -- they want you to edit that file, and the source file that they gave you was just for reference?

I was hoping I could import the review file into Trados so the pretranslation shows up in the target text, along with their % matches.

The review file can't be imported into Trados unless you have the original SDLXLIFF file that it was exported from. Perhaps the client thinks that you do not have Trados, so they sent you this helpful review file instead.

Any ideas how I can make use of the pretranslation in Trados?

Well, what I would do is to convert the review file into a TMX file, and then import that into a TM that I use in Trados. There are ways to convert tables or Excel files to TMX (google for it).

The only problem is those match percentages -- if you just convert this to a TM, all segments will be considered 100% matches to whatever text they match in the source file. What I have done in the past, in similar situations, is to do some fancy column copying to put the match percentage somehow into the source column and target column, e.g. at the end of the cell. The fact that there is now a number in the segment will automatically make it a non-100% match for anything, and so when you insert this TM unit's translation into your translation in Trados, you can see what the original match percentage was.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import a pretranslated bilingual review file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »