Trados Studio 2019 Freelance - updating project files with externally translated files
Thread poster: niallok
niallok
niallok
English
Nov 26, 2019

Hi all

Relative newbie to Trados Studio. I have the Freelance version which doesn't allow me to create a package project for translation so I have sent files out individually for translation. Take for example, XML files that have been translated. I receive the translated XML along with the *.xml.sdlxliff Trados version and the translation memory.

I have tried to get the translations back into my project by using the "Update from Reviewed Target File" option, and selecti
... See more
Hi all

Relative newbie to Trados Studio. I have the Freelance version which doesn't allow me to create a package project for translation so I have sent files out individually for translation. Take for example, XML files that have been translated. I receive the translated XML along with the *.xml.sdlxliff Trados version and the translation memory.

I have tried to get the translations back into my project by using the "Update from Reviewed Target File" option, and selecting the translated XML, but that gives me an error (System.OutOfMemoryException). So, I then tried to overwrite the sdlxliff file in my project with the one I received, which also doesn't seem to work. It's not pulling in all the translations from the TM (that I can see).

Hoping someone here has any advice?!

Basically, I have an English XML and a Spanish XML, and need some way to populate the target side in Trados with the translations from the Spanish file.

Thank you
Niall
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nial Nov 26, 2019

niallok wrote:
I tried to overwrite the SDLXLIFF file in my project with the one I received...

This is correct -- this is what you should be doing: make a backup copy of your own SDLXLIFF file, and then replace it with the SDLXLIFF file that the translator sent you.

It's not pulling in all the translations from the TM (that I can see).

All of the translations should be in the SDLXLIFF file itself. If the SDLXLIFF file that you got from your translator isn't fully translated, then it means that he didn't fully translate the file. The TM is irrelevant here (unless you're trying to add the translated segments to the TM, but you'd have to do that by right-clicking the TM and selecting "import").

Basically, I have an English XML and a Spanish XML, and need some way to populate the target side in Trados with the translations from the Spanish file.

Did you send the translator only the English XML file, or did you send him an untranslated SDLXLIFF file?

niallok
niallok
English
TOPIC STARTER
Success Nov 26, 2019

Thank you for your reply. I managed to get it working by replacing the sdlxliff file again after a PC reboot. I'm not sure what the problem was but glad to have resolved it!!

- Niall

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:39
English to Russian
Easier and more reliable method Nov 26, 2019

would be to import your target sdlxliff into TM.
Either from
1. Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Languages - Translation Memories and Automated Translation => select you TM, make sure the Update box is checked for it, and press Import - Add files - select your final sdlxliff (as translated/edited) - Next - Leave check boxes by default (Translated, Translation approved and Signed off) - Next - [IMPORTANT here] select 'Overwrite existing translation units' (or 'Keep most
... See more
would be to import your target sdlxliff into TM.
Either from
1. Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Languages - Translation Memories and Automated Translation => select you TM, make sure the Update box is checked for it, and press Import - Add files - select your final sdlxliff (as translated/edited) - Next - Leave check boxes by default (Translated, Translation approved and Signed off) - Next - [IMPORTANT here] select 'Overwrite existing translation units' (or 'Keep most recent TUs' is also acceptable because, as far as I understand your case, your sdlxliff from translator would be exactly the most recent version). This would replace the older segments with the most recent edits from your subcontractor.
OR
2. Translation memories mode (lower left corner) => Select your TM in the Translation Memories list (upper left side) or, if not available in the list, press Open - select your TM. Then again Import...

The point is that you update your TM using the sdlxliff file and the Overwrite option.

P.S. The above updates your TM, not sdlxliff. I see now that your question was a bit different, but I leave my reply here nevertheless. I am sure you will need this trick in the future if you are going to work with Trados and share translation files with others.

[Edited at 2019-11-26 21:18 GMT]
Collapse

niallok
niallok
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 27, 2019

Hi Stepan - thank you for the response, and very useful tip. I will try that method too.

Presumably if the TM is updated and I then "pre-translate" the files in my project again, they should appear fully translated (100%)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2019 Freelance - updating project files with externally translated files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »