Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 14, 2019

For starters, I work with Studio 2015.

Last week I received a Studio Package. Opened it as normal on my laptop, all seemed to be fine. Found the file back under Files and Projects, but when I tried to open it, nothing happened. Checked Editor, no text. The only thing that Studio had copied was the clients TM.

Tried the same with Studio 2014, same result. Repeated my experiment on my desktop, nothing happened there either, so it can't be my Trados software. The other pac
... See more

Last week I received a Studio Package. Opened it as normal on my laptop, all seemed to be fine. Found the file back under Files and Projects, but when I tried to open it, nothing happened. Checked Editor, no text. The only thing that Studio had copied was the clients TM.

Tried the same with Studio 2014, same result. Repeated my experiment on my desktop, nothing happened there either, so it can't be my Trados software. The other packages I received just opened fine.

This week I received again such a package, well.... see above. This is the first time this is happening to me.

I found out that both packages were generated with Studio 2017/2019. So my question here is: 'Are packages sent from 2017/2019 incompatible with 2015? Is there anyone who had this experience, am I the only one, or am I doing something wrong?

PS) I found a way around. Retrieved the SDLXLIFF file(s) and TM of the client out of the package, imported them and when finished, sent it all back. Nice, but I have a (expensive) CAT for a reason, to avoid Kindergarten-activities, for example.

[Edited at 2019-11-14 17:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-11-14 17:16 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Did you try to open source or target language? Nov 14, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I found out that both packages were generated with Studio 2017/2019. So my question here is: 'Are packages sent from 2017/2019 incompatible with 2015? Is there anyone who had this experience, am I the only one, or am I doing something wrong?

It sounds to me that you perhaps inadvertently tried to opene the source version of the project rather than the target. I have done the same, and then of course you get problems. Check that it's the target language that is chosen in the File view rather than source.

It could also be that a package made in 2019 is not compatible with 2015, I don't know, although I would not have expected it to be.

At least opening the target version of sdlxliff file should work, but it's not the way one would expect necessary with a package, of course, so I understand your frustration.

Roy

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huh? Nov 14, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

It sounds to me that you perhaps inadvertently tried to opene the source version of the project rather than the target. I have done the same, and then of course you get problems. Check that it's the target language that is chosen in the File view rather than source.

It could also be that a package made in 2019 is not compatible with 2015, I don't know, although I would not have expected it to be.

At least opening the target version of sdlxliff file should work, but it's not the way one would expect necessary with a package, of course, so I understand your frustration.

Roy

I opened the packages as I open any package, with the function Open Package. Always works fine, except with these two.

[Edited at 2019-11-14 18:28 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
suggestion Nov 15, 2019

A second thought, to put it shorter: There may be a bug in the existing package. (What bug? Who knows...) Ask your client to prepare the package again with a small amendment (e.g. adding several characters in the end of the text), with another name, and send to you. You may create a new project, and then, we'll see what happens.
HTH

[Zmieniono 2019-11-15 12:09 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
incompatible with 2015? Nov 15, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

found out that both packages were generated with Studio 2017/2019. So my question here is: 'Are packages sent from 2017/2019 incompatible with 2015? [/quote]

This question should be sent directly to SDL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility issues (????)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »