How can you import Wordfast (Classic / Pro) files to your TM's in Trados Studio.
Thread poster: Jonathan Haerinck
Nov 14, 2019

Hello,

We are working with a translation agency that uses Worfast Classic for mainly translations from Word documents and Wordfast Pro for mainly Excel and PPT files.

Other translation agencies work with Studio and send my, in addition to the translated document (Word, PPT or Excel) also an xliff that I can easily import into my own TM.

How can I do so for the translations created in Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro? The agency sent me a not cleaned documen
... See more
Hello,

We are working with a translation agency that uses Worfast Classic for mainly translations from Word documents and Wordfast Pro for mainly Excel and PPT files.

Other translation agencies work with Studio and send my, in addition to the translated document (Word, PPT or Excel) also an xliff that I can easily import into my own TM.

How can I do so for the translations created in Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro? The agency sent me a not cleaned document created inWordfast Classic. It's a docx-file and it opens as a normal Word file. I only see target text. I can't import this file to my TM (and add my field values) in Studio because it only accepts xliffs. They also sent my a pptx.txml-file created in Wordfast Pro. Ths documents can neither be imported into my TM's in Studio.

Can anyone explain me how to import documents translated in Wordfast Classic and Word fast Pro into your standard TM's in Studio (and add my metadata via mu defined field values)?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jonathan Nov 14, 2019

Jonathan Haerinck wrote:
How can I do so for the translations created in Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro? The agency sent me an [uncleaned] document created in Wordfast Classic. It's a DOCX file and it opens as a normal Word file. I only see target text. ... They also sent me a TXML file created in Wordfast Pro.

TXML is the format of WFP 3. According to this post, it's possible to open such files in Trados with a bit of tinkering.

The RTF/DOC/DOCX file created in WFC does have source text, but the source text is hidden. So you must unhide hidden text in MS Word. One way that often works is to press Ctrl+comma a few times. Or, in the Word settings, put a check in the checkbox next to "Hidden text" (where this is, depends on your version of Word). The WFC file format is derived from the old Trados Workbench format (it's very similar, although not 100% identical). So, you may be able to open in Trados using these instructions for the Bilingual Workbench format.

Curiously, none of Wordfast's other programs (WFP3, WFP5, WFA) can open or import WFC uncleaned files. I'm told that CafeTran can open such files, and then perhaps export them as an XLIFF file that Trados can open.

Added: I myself could not convince Trados to open a WFC uncleaned file. I decided to rename the uncleaned test file to something.docxx, and then I changed the file extension of the Bilingual Workbench format in Trados to "*.docxx", and although Trados recognises the file type when I put such a file into a project during project creation, it always gives me the error that the file is corrupted. I tried both RTF and DOC formats.

[Edited at 2019-11-14 16:39 GMT]

Jonathan Haerinck
Jonathan Haerinck
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
importing xtml-files in Studio Nov 29, 2019

Hello Samuel,

In the meantime, I asked them to make their Word translation in Wordfast Pro. In Wordfast Pro, it is possible to deliver an xtml-file, which can be handled by Studio (after downloading a plug-in in their appstore). I then select my main TM and update to Main TM via Batch tasks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can you import Wordfast (Classic / Pro) files to your TM's in Trados Studio.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »