What is the point of the language setting in a project?
Thread poster: Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
Local time: 19:02
Oct 24, 2019

This is a very basic question, but I just realized after using Trados Studio for some years, that I have no idea what the point of the project language settings are.

I always have to add my TM as AnyTM, even though the language pair of the TM matches the one of the project, otherwise I get an error message that I have not been able to figure out.

Anyway, I created a project but by mistake I chose EN>NO instead of SE>NO. I added the correct TM (SE>NO), but this worked fi
... See more
This is a very basic question, but I just realized after using Trados Studio for some years, that I have no idea what the point of the project language settings are.

I always have to add my TM as AnyTM, even though the language pair of the TM matches the one of the project, otherwise I get an error message that I have not been able to figure out.

Anyway, I created a project but by mistake I chose EN>NO instead of SE>NO. I added the correct TM (SE>NO), but this worked fine, I guess because I added it as AnyTM. But what does it mean that there is a mismatch between the project language pair and the TM language pair? It seems to have no consequence.
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language-locale? Oct 25, 2019

As an example, there will be a mismatch language combination between en-US to nb-NO in your project and en-UK to nb-NO in your TM, just because the English locale are different. Same thing about Norwegian (I can count 6 flavours).
If languages match exactly, you won't need AnyTM.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
For extra revenue and auto-localization rules Oct 25, 2019

Two reasons:
1. SDL wants you to buy the Professional version if you exceed their absurdly (especially for anyone for works from a cluster of very closely related or nearly identical source languages) low limit of 5 installation languages. So they make things difficult in this regard just because they can.
2. Auto-localization rules (date and time formats, decimal separators, etc.) will differ by language and flavor. So if the respective defaults are automatically set up when a proje
... See more
Two reasons:
1. SDL wants you to buy the Professional version if you exceed their absurdly (especially for anyone for works from a cluster of very closely related or nearly identical source languages) low limit of 5 installation languages. So they make things difficult in this regard just because they can.
2. Auto-localization rules (date and time formats, decimal separators, etc.) will differ by language and flavor. So if the respective defaults are automatically set up when a project language/variant is chosen, then it makes sense this selection would be important.

Otherwise, I really do get your point. It's not like the fuzzy matching algorithms vary by language. Or do they?
Collapse

Nicholas Knutsen

Daniel Mihailovic
Daniel Mihailovic  Identity Verified
France
Italian to French
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 5 languages allowed! What a shame! Jan 21, 2020

Hello, LEXpert, I'm working with the same languages as you (but I translate in french) and other languages too and I was astonished and very disappointed when I understood the 5 languages I selected when I first opened my new SDL Studio cannot be changed and I am not allowed to work with more than 5 source languages!
That's really absurd! I'm using most commonly at least 7 languages as source languages and 2 as target! And if we consider croatian, serbian, bosnian and montenegrin as diffe
... See more
Hello, LEXpert, I'm working with the same languages as you (but I translate in french) and other languages too and I was astonished and very disappointed when I understood the 5 languages I selected when I first opened my new SDL Studio cannot be changed and I am not allowed to work with more than 5 source languages!
That's really absurd! I'm using most commonly at least 7 languages as source languages and 2 as target! And if we consider croatian, serbian, bosnian and montenegrin as different languages as SDL does, ther would be even more!
And of course buying Professional is not an option! It's just too expensive.
What advice can you give me? Is it better to select serbian and perhaps to be able to use both latin and cirillic source texts (even if I work more with croatian), but if I receive an sdl package set as croatian-french, perhaps it will be impossible to open it?
Thank you

And what is the solution? buy another TAO? because with SDL I have a bad feeling, as being a fly in a spider's net. Now that I am in, I will have to pay and pay again to try to go out of the traps SDL put everywhere deliberately or not. Isn't it?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the point of the language setting in a project?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »