Adrián Sánchez Alcón
Adrián Sánchez Alcón  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 20, 2019

Hello,

A client sent me several files in .sla format (Scribus) and I can't open them with Studio 2019. Is there any way to open it or any type of Scribus format, other than .sla, that I can request from the client?

Adrián

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adrián Sep 20, 2019

Adrián Sánchez Alcón wrote:
A client sent me several files in .SLA format (Scribus), and I can't open them with Studio 2019.

1. SLA is XML, so a clever person might be able to figure out how to open it in Trados. The translatable content is the values of the "CH" attributes of "ITEXT" tags. Unfortunately the most recent version of Scribus saves soft line breaks as block-level breakers, so it's very CAT unfriendly. And if the client had at any stage enabled hyphenation, and you're out of luck, every single soft hyphen will be a block-level breaker as well.

2. There is no function in Scribus that allows you to export text and then import it back again. You can "export" to text, but then it's just text (not even formatting is included), and you can't import it again.

So I'm afraid this is going to be one of those jobs where the client must produce a PDF, and then you copy all the text to a plain format (or MS Word), and then you'll have to make sure the client knows which text is the translation of which other text, so that *he* can paste it back (or: you can do it, and see if it's good enough to just "export" the text, since Scribus is free... but you'll have to learn how to use Scribus first).

[Edited at 2019-09-20 16:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

files in .sla format

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »