Word count of untranslatable terms Studio 2017
Thread poster: JCD61
JCD61
JCD61  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:50
Spanish to English
Sep 17, 2019

I have finished a major project and can get the total word counts of both source and target, but each file contains many segments with scientific terms that did not need to be translated. However, the segments themselves were rarely matches, as those scientific terms were in sentences, etc with many other words. So, how do I get a final word count that tells me how many words were NOT changed in the translated (target) document? iWorking with both Word and Excel. thanks.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:50
Polish to English
+ ...
Trados Help Sep 17, 2019

Open Trados Help and look for "Enhanced word count and search logic for words containing hyphens and dashes" (as in Studio 2019; earlier versions may include a different expression). I'm not sure if that's exactly what you look for so please check this method up. If not, I'd read the translation and simply delete all such names, terms etc. The difference between the word (or character) count in the full text and in the "reduced" one will be the information you need.

HTH.

[
... See more
Open Trados Help and look for "Enhanced word count and search logic for words containing hyphens and dashes" (as in Studio 2019; earlier versions may include a different expression). I'm not sure if that's exactly what you look for so please check this method up. If not, I'd read the translation and simply delete all such names, terms etc. The difference between the word (or character) count in the full text and in the "reduced" one will be the information you need.

HTH.

[Zmieniono 2019-09-17 11:26 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:50
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Why not include untranslated words in the word count? Sep 17, 2019

JCD61 wrote:
I have finished a major project and can get the total word counts of both source and target, but each file contains many segments with scientific terms that did not need to be translated. However, the segments themselves were rarely matches, as those scientific terms were in sentences, etc with many other words. So, how do I get a final word count that tells me how many words were NOT changed in the translated (target) document? iWorking with both Word and Excel. thanks.

Even if you are not to translate the words, you need to place them in the correct place in the sentence. I, therefore, don't quite see why you should not have them as part of the word count. It would be different if they are in separate segments, of course.

I only give a reduced rate for full segments that are a certain match with whatever is in the translation memory.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count of untranslatable terms Studio 2017

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »