Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How to confirm segment without sending it to the TM?
Thread poster: Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Spain
Local time: 07:36
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
AutohotKey Aug 9, 2019

Thanks, Stepan, for that AutohotKey script. I learned about that app very recently and it looks very powerful. I’ll definitely go deeper with it. Your insights about TM are very appreciated as well,

Armine Abelyan

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
How to confirm segment without sending it to TM Aug 9, 2019

Guillermo Mendez wrote:

Hi there,
I'm starting to use SDL Trados Studio (2019) after doing several courses, both from the manufacturer itself and from third parties, and there's a doubt that's always hanging over my head while I'm translating. We all know that pressing CTRL+INTRO confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. However, I don't quite understand why they should be simultaneous actions. What's the point of sending segments such as numbers or links to the translation memory, which apparently won't give me anything? Is there any way to confirm a segment and not send it to the translation memory?
Thanks,
Guillermo.

Hi Guillermo
have you tried CTRL+L, that is, locking the segments you don't want in your TM? You can then still confirm them and go to the next segment, the locked segments do not show up in your TM but are exported to the final file.

Guillermo Mendez

Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
How to confirm segment without sending it to TM Aug 9, 2019

Thanks, Wolfgang. The locking feature, along with filtering and segment status change is one option for translating without sending to TM several segments in a row. Nice!
Regards.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:36
English to Russian
Confirm after locking? Aug 9, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
You can then still confirm them and go to the next segment, the locked segments do not show up in your TM

The purpose of locking is to prevent any changes after locking. How can you confirm them then?

[Edited at 2019-08-09 13:20 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Confirm after locking Aug 10, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
You can then still confirm them and go to the next segment, the locked segments do not show up in your TM

The purpose of locking is to prevent any changes after locking. How can you confirm them then?

[Edited at 2019-08-09 13:20 GMT]

Hi Stepan
you are right, I shouldn't have said "confirm". What I meant is that you can go to the next segment with CTRL+Enter.

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I think there is a better way Aug 13, 2019

One of the things I love about Studio is that you don't lose anything even if the computer crashes. You get everything back that you had added to the TM. So, if you don't save it to the TM you would lose it.
I think the best way to avoid this is, when setting up the project, to create a project TM. This way everything you save goes into the project TM and not the main TM which is, instead, only updated when the project is finalized. This way you have a memory with one and still a memory of
... See more
One of the things I love about Studio is that you don't lose anything even if the computer crashes. You get everything back that you had added to the TM. So, if you don't save it to the TM you would lose it.
I think the best way to avoid this is, when setting up the project, to create a project TM. This way everything you save goes into the project TM and not the main TM which is, instead, only updated when the project is finalized. This way you have a memory with one and still a memory of past test (presuming your TM covers various jobs) and you can check against the two.

Eileen
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
But you lose what you've done if the computer crashes and it is not saved to the TM Aug 13, 2019

Eileen Cartoon wrote:
I think the best way to avoid this is, when setting up the project, to create a project TM. This way everything you save goes into the project TM and not the main TM which is, instead, only updated when the project is finalized. This way you have a memory with one and still a memory of past test (presuming your TM covers various jobs) and you can check against the two.
Eileen

To me the way Dejavu is set up makes much better sense. The project file functions as a database file, where each segment is saved when you leave it. That way you don't lose any work even if the computer crashes and you haven't saved the project to any TM or even saved the project. That the saving only happens from time to time automatically isn't good enough for me.

[Edited at 2019-08-13 15:23 GMT]

Wolfgang HULLMANN
Wolfgang HULLMANN
French to German
+ ...
Additional question (SDL Studio 2019): "Translated" segment status Jul 28, 2020

Does anybody happen to know what the topical keyboard shortcut for the "Translated" status (segment status) is (i.e. confirm segment without committing it to the TM)? In 2017, it used to be called "Translated" in the English version and was to be found in "Options --> Keyboard shortcuts --> Editor". But in the latest SDL version, I cannot find this list entry any more. Has it been renamed or has it even disappeared? When moving the mouse on the different ribbon options of "Change segment status"... See more
Does anybody happen to know what the topical keyboard shortcut for the "Translated" status (segment status) is (i.e. confirm segment without committing it to the TM)? In 2017, it used to be called "Translated" in the English version and was to be found in "Options --> Keyboard shortcuts --> Editor". But in the latest SDL version, I cannot find this list entry any more. Has it been renamed or has it even disappeared? When moving the mouse on the different ribbon options of "Change segment status", no shortcuts are indicated (whereas for "Confirm", they are). Any ideas?Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You probably have to use the mouse Jul 29, 2020

Wolfgang HULLMANN wrote:

Does anybody happen to know what the topical keyboard shortcut for the "Translated" status (segment status) is (i.e. confirm segment without committing it to the TM)? In 2017, it used to be called "Translated" in the English version and was to be found in "Options --> Keyboard shortcuts --> Editor". But in the latest SDL version, I cannot find this list entry any more. Has it been renamed or has it even disappeared? When moving the mouse on the different ribbon options of "Change segment status", no shortcuts are indicated (whereas for "Confirm", they are). Any ideas?

As far as I can find, what you want to do, is as follows:
Right mouse button - Change Segment status - Translated

You probably need to define a shortcut for this manually if you are to do this all the time. I regrettably don't know sufficient about creating shortcuts, but if you search on ProZ or SDL, you may find information on this.

Oliver Qamili
Oliver Qamili  Identity Verified
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...
Segments in the TM will not always be correct Sep 8, 2020

Erik Freitag wrote:

Dear Guillermo,

While mikhailo's solution does the trick, I think you're overthinking this. What harm do those segments do in the TM, as long as they are correct?

Kind regards,
Erik

Hi all,
The harm in that is that segments in the TM will not always be correct.
What I mean is that SDL Trados sometimes, or rather, very often, splits the sentences in a way that the source segment has to be translated to something which is not what it corresponds to, because of the different word order in the source and target languages.

For example, the sentence I just encountered: “Bazuar në Nenin, 291/1 të Kodit të Procedurave Penale”, which will translate as "Based on Article 291/1 of the Code of Criminal Procedures", is split as follows:

Segment 1 source (Albanian): Bazuar në Nenin 291/1 të Kodit të Procedurave
Segment 1 target (English): Based on Article 291/1 of the Code of Criminal

Segment 2 source (Albanian): Penale
Segment 2 target (English): Procedures

In this case, because of how SDL Trados splits the sentence, in segment 2 (target) I have to enter “Procedures” when in fact “Penale” = “Criminal”.
When I confirm the segment, this goes to the TM and Trados will automatically translate and confirm “Penale” into “Procedures” from now on. I can keep an eye in the document I am currently working on, but once it is out of my mind in a few days and in other assignments, this could be a problem.
It seems a small problem in this case because it is one word only, but it is not rare that I have such issues with longer segments and that can really cause trouble.

There is a solution:
you have to take notes of such occurrences, and once you finish what you are working one you go to the TM and amend (or delete) the wrong match/es….or join segments....
But it would be super helpful if Trados had a command “Confirm segment but do not send to TM” (I know of at least one other CAT which has it).

Has anyone upgraded to the 2021 version and noticed whether it has it (or can check now if never thought of that)?

Does anyone know if SDL accepts/implements suggestions from us?

Regards
Oliver

[Edited at 2020-09-08 08:37 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Already exists...? Sep 8, 2020

Oliver Qamili wrote:
But it would be super helpful if Trados had a command “Confirm segment but do not send to TM” (I know of at least one other CAT which has it).

Right-click on segment and select "Change segment status" -> "Translated". Does this not do what you want?

Dan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Oliver: Can you edit the source text? Sep 8, 2020

Oliver Qamili wrote:
When I confirm the segment, this goes to the TM and Trados will automatically translate and confirm “Penale” into “Procedures” from now on.

In my own CAT tool, WFC, I can edit the source text inside the CAT tool. So when something like this happens, I simply add some garbage characters to the source text before confirming the segment. In your case, I'd add e.g. ". " or "# " to the start of both those segments, to ensure that they never come up as 100% matches in the future. I believe Alt+F2 does the same thing in Trados. I'm assuming that when you do this in Trados, it sends the modified source text to the TM (but I can't confirm it... can you?).

Added: I suspect you can only enable source editing in Trados if you created the project yourself, i.e. not if it is forward/return package.

[Edited at 2020-09-08 08:53 GMT]

Oliver Qamili
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...

Dan Lucas wrote:

Oliver Qamili wrote:

Right-click on segment and select "Change segment status" -> "Translated". Does this not do what you want?

Dan

Right-click on segment and select "Change segment status" -> "Translated" (or Ctrl + Enter, or just "Confirm") will confirm the segment AND update the TM.
But in such cases we do not want the TM to be updated.

Oliver Qamili
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...

Samuel Murray wrote:

Oliver Qamili wrote:
When I confirm the segment, this goes to the TM and Trados will automatically translate and confirm “Penale” into “Procedures” from now on.

In my own CAT tool, WFC, I can edit the source text inside the CAT tool. So when something like this happens, I simply add some garbage characters to the source text before confirming the segment. In your case, I'd add e.g. ". " or "# " to the start of both those segments, to ensure that they never come up as 100% matches in the future. I believe Alt+F2 does the same thing in Trados. I'm assuming that when you do this in Trados, it sends the modified source text to the TM (but I can't confirm it... can you?).

Added: I suspect you can only enable source editing in Trados if you created the project yourself, i.e. not if it is forward/return package.

[Edited at 2020-09-08 08:53 GMT]

Yes, in Trados the modified source text and the target text would be sent to the TM as 100% matches (although not “confirmed” if you have translated them differently at times).

And yes, in this case I can edit the source because I created the project with a MS Word file myself (there is an option “Allow to edit source” when you create the project). Not sure whether you can do it with a forward/return package..I’ll have to check.
But again, the “Confirm segment but do not send to TM” would be very nice to have.

[Edited at 2020-09-08 10:10 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Think you might be mistaken Sep 8, 2020

Oliver Qamili wrote:
Right-click on segment and select "Change segment status" -> "Translated" (or Ctrl + Enter, or just "Confirm") will confirm the segment AND update the TM.
But in such cases we do not want the TM to be updated.

The right-click approach should not update the TM.
The latter two approaches do.
Try it with a test TM and see.

Regards,
Dan

Stepan Konev

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to confirm segment without sending it to the TM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »