Whitespaces won't dissapear in the editor of Trados 2017, despite pressing the toggle button
Thread poster: Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:15
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2019

Hello,

Recently I have reinstalled Trados 2017 on a new Windows 10 computer and when I was translating today, I activated the white spaces in the "Home" tab, but when I pressed the toggle button to de-activate them, they didn't disappear (they only disappeared in the translation memory window).
When I created the project again in the hope that the problem would be fixed, the white spaces wouldn't in turn appear.

Do you know how to solve this problem?

... See more
Hello,

Recently I have reinstalled Trados 2017 on a new Windows 10 computer and when I was translating today, I activated the white spaces in the "Home" tab, but when I pressed the toggle button to de-activate them, they didn't disappear (they only disappeared in the translation memory window).
When I created the project again in the hope that the problem would be fixed, the white spaces wouldn't in turn appear.

Do you know how to solve this problem?

Best regards,

Malgorzata
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:15
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Małgorzata, Jun 5, 2019

Did you try this?
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl_trados_studio_2015/client_en/setting_preferences/Display/TM/ShowHideWhitespace.htm
Best!

Małgorzata Gardocka
Poland
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It turns out that this issue is an internal problem of Trados and not yet solved Jun 5, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for wanting to help me, but yesterday it turned out that this issue is an internal problem of Trados.
It emerged after the last update of this CAT.
Unfortunately, no solution has been found yet.

Kind regards,

Malgorzata

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:15
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The most recent update was released Jun 6, 2019

on 30 May 2019: "Cumulative Update 16 for SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1" and SDL claims it fixed a lot of issues.
If it is an internal issue, I believe they can (and they should) fix it. Contact SDL, it's worth trying.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 10:15
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Workaround Jun 11, 2019

I have the same problem. It started to appear after installing the latest update "SDL Studio 2017 SR1 - 14.1.10016.54660".

When you use the toggle to show whitespace characters in the editor (whether by pressing Alt+P or clicking the inverted P button) nothing happens; if invisible characters were visible, they remain visible, and vice-versa. Although the toggle button will show the chosen selected/unselected state.

Workaround:
The clumsy workaround I discovered
... See more
I have the same problem. It started to appear after installing the latest update "SDL Studio 2017 SR1 - 14.1.10016.54660".

When you use the toggle to show whitespace characters in the editor (whether by pressing Alt+P or clicking the inverted P button) nothing happens; if invisible characters were visible, they remain visible, and vice-versa. Although the toggle button will show the chosen selected/unselected state.

Workaround:
The clumsy workaround I discovered is to close the editor window (by clicking the x sign in the corner) and then reopening the file in the editor again. Then the display will reflect the last toggle action correctly (i.e. showing whitespace if the toggle is selected and vice-versa).

[Edited at 2019-06-11 23:42 GMT]
Collapse

Abraham Díaz

Małgorzata Gardocka
Poland
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Jun 12, 2019

Hello Alaa,

Thank you for your tip. This a good temporary solution.
However I'm disappointed that it takes SDL so long to fix that issue.
The problem still hasn't been solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whitespaces won't dissapear in the editor of Trados 2017, despite pressing the toggle button

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »