How to write arabic numbers ٨٧٦٤٢٣٣٤ using SDL Trados 2019?
Thread poster: Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
Local time: 13:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 27, 2019

How could I write Arabic numbers like ٨٧٦٤٢٣٣٤ using SDL Trados 2019?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Are they different? May 27, 2019

I always thought those numbers we use are called Arabic numbers.

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Entering Arabic characters May 27, 2019

Advanced -> Insert Symbol -> Arabic

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Can you not just use the moslem alphabet? May 27, 2019

You may check http://www.softschools.com/languages/arabic/numbers_1_10_in_arabic/

The Moslem world of today apparently do not use the Hindu-Arabic numerals that we are used to.

I do not know how to write them in Studio, though, regrettably.

Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
numbers used in the Arab world now are the indian numbers which I am referring to May 27, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I always thought those numbers we use are called Arabic numbers.

yes, they are..the Arabs invented and used them for a long period of time, but then they gave it to Europe and abandoned them for some reason... and started using the Indian numbers which I am referring to now in this sense...

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
I can give you I have gleaned from my licensed copy of Studio 2019 May 27, 2019

Dear Ebrahim,

I should have thought the present-day Arabic numbering would be supported if Arabic is one of the languages you have chosen. Give the following a try if you haven't done so already:

First, select an Arabic font. For this, you will need beforehand to choose Arabic (of your regional variant, say) among the 5 languages the installation software prompts you to
... See more
Dear Ebrahim,

I should have thought the present-day Arabic numbering would be supported if Arabic is one of the languages you have chosen. Give the following a try if you haven't done so already:

First, select an Arabic font. For this, you will need beforehand to choose Arabic (of your regional variant, say) among the 5 languages the installation software prompts you to work with. Note a sticking point with U.A.E. Arabic.

Secondly, go into the "Home" tab, find "Formatting" (2nd or third along from the left-hand side. There, in the English interface at any rate, you have "LRM" (European way round) and "RLM" (Right to left, for Semitic languages).

There is also "Font Adaptation" in the View tab: clicking on the little arrow at the bottom of that tab, to the far right of that ribbon, displays a box with an option marked "Font" at the bottom. This governs the font displayed in the editor and there are options for selecting the font size.

Also in the "View" tab is "Interface language". I'm not sure whether Arabic is supported, but give it a try.

I have also tried changing the keyboard in the Windows environment, working from the "Settings" menu via the "Start" pop-up menu, "Settings", then (I think) "Region and Language". I haven't been able to display Arabic script or numerals myself, but it may be worth trying. I should mention that I run a French version of Windows 7, so I am working "backwards" from the French as it were.

I have also looked up your topic in SDL Studio support, where the relevant information seems sparse and dispersed, but you could look around there: start at SDL.com Community home page and work through the different search options, recording your finds by copying and pasting to Notepad, say.

I am sorry if you have tried all this: I don't wish to patronise, or carry "coals to Newcastle". And I'm sorry if the information I have given here is nebulous. I hope, though, it will give you some lines to search, and I also hope others will come up with the answer that eludes me.

My very best regards, and good hunting,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189 Fr > UK Eng.)
Collapse

Ebrahim Mohammed
Ebrahim Mohammed
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did get the first step ! May 27, 2019

IanDhu wrote:

Dear Ebrahim,

First, select an Arabic font. For this, you will need beforehand to choose Arabic (of your regional variant, say) among the 5 languages the installation software prompts you to work with. Note a sticking point with U.A.E. Arabic.

Secondly, go into the "Home" tab, find "Formatting" (2nd or third along from the left-hand side. There, in the English interface at any rate, you have "LRM" (European way round) and "RLM" (Right to left, for Semitic languages).

There is also "Font Adaptation" in the View tab: clicking on the little arrow at the bottom of that tab, to the far right of that ribbon, displays a box with an option marked "Font" at the bottom. This governs the font displayed in the editor and there are options for selecting the font size.

Also in the "View" tab is "Interface language". I'm not sure whether Arabic is supported, but give it a try.

I have also tried changing the keyboard in the Windows environment, working from the "Settings" menu via the "Start" pop-up menu, "Settings", then (I think) "Region and Language". I haven't been able to display Arabic script or numerals myself, but it may be worth trying. I should mention that I run a French version of Windows 7, so I am working "backwards" from the French as it were.

I have also looked up your topic in SDL Studio support, where the relevant information seems sparse and dispersed, but you could look around there: start at SDL.com Community home page and work through the different search options, recording your finds by copying and pasting to Notepad, say.

I am sorry if you have tried all this: I don't wish to patronise, or carry "coals to Newcastle". And I'm sorry if the information I have given here is nebulous. I hope, though, it will give you some lines to search, and I also hope others will come up with the answer that eludes me.

My very best regards, and good hunting,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189 Fr > UK Eng.)

I did not get the first step ''selecting an Arabic font'; I clicked on the link you provided: Note a sticking point with U.A.E. Arabic.

but from there I could not figure out how to go on ....

kindly see the attached image

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
(FWIW) May 28, 2019

( FWIW, this topic is also discussed here: https://www.proz.com/forum/right_to_left_language_technical_forum/334999.html )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to write arabic numbers ٨٧٦٤٢٣٣٤ using SDL Trados 2019?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »