https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/334778-studio_changes_em_and_en_dashes_into_hyphens_in_target.html

Studio - changes em and en dashes into hyphens in target
Thread poster: bendksu
bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:50
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2019

I am using both Studio 2014 and Studio 2017. In both versions, an en dash and and em dash in my source text are always converted into a hyphen in my target text.

I spend a great amount of time manually changing these to reflect what was in the source text. I have searched in the settings, but cannot see how I can change this.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Bendksu May 17, 2019

bendksu wrote:
[In Studio 2014 and Studio 2017], an en-dash and and em-dash in my source text are always converted into a hyphen in my target text.

At what time does the conversion occur?

1. If you copy the source text inside Trados (i.e. put your cursor in the source field and press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C), and then paste it into MS Word or a text editor, do you see hyphens or dashes?
2. If you use the "copy source to target" function in Trados (e.g. Ctrl+Insert), and then copy the text from the target text (i.e. put your cursor in the target field and press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C), and then paste it into MS Word or a text editor, do you see hyphens or dashes?
3. When you type these characters manually in Trados, what key combination do you use to get an en dash or an em dash (e.g. Alt+0150, or Ctrl+minus, etc.)?
4. Or... do dashes appear as tags only (i.e. not a dash itself but a tag representing the dash)?
5. Can you confirm that if you type a dash inside Trados, the final file contains a hyphen and not a dash?

[Edited at 2019-05-17 06:48 GMT]

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Have you checked your Autocorrect settings? May 17, 2019

Maybe the Autocorrect settings are set to change dashes into hyphens.

And if they aren't, maybe it would work if you 'instructed' Autocorrect NOT to to do this. I.e. set up rules for it to convert an en dash into an en dash, and an em dash into an em dash.

Just an idea, I don't know if that would work.

bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
responses to @Samuel Murray May 17, 2019

@Samuel Murray

Thank you. Please see below:

1. If you copy the source text inside Trados, and then paste it into MS Word, do you see hyphens or dashes?
I see dashes (just like in the source text).

2. If you use the "copy source to target" function in Trados, and then copy the text from the target text, and then paste it into MS Word, do you see hyphens or dashes?

3. When you type these c
... See more
@Samuel Murray

Thank you. Please see below:

1. If you copy the source text inside Trados, and then paste it into MS Word, do you see hyphens or dashes?

2. If you use the "copy source to target" function in Trados, and then copy the text from the target text, and then paste it into MS Word, do you see hyphens or dashes?

3. When you type these characters manually in Trados, what key combination do you use to get an en dash or an em dash?
I do not type them manually into Trados, but I copy them from either Word, Notepad or the internet.

4. Or... do dashes appear as tags only (i.e. not a dash itself but a tag representing the dash)?
No, they do not appear as tags

5. Can you confirm that if you type a dash inside Trados, the final file contains a hyphen and not a dash?
Yes, this is correct.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gitte May 17, 2019

Gitte Hovedskov wrote:
Maybe the Autocorrect settings are set to change dashes into hyphens. ... Just an idea, I don't know if that would work.

I don't have Trados 2014 or 2017 anymore, but FWIW, autocorrect in Trados 2019 does not have any settings that relate specifically to dashes and hyphens (unlike MS Word's autocorrect settings).

autocorrect trados 2019

(What I can confirm is that hyphens, en-dashes and em-dashes appear at the top of the autoreplace list, so it should be easy to see very quickly if they have been added for a certain language. Also, don't forget that Trados' autocorrect settings are specific to the language and variant.)

[Edited at 2019-05-17 07:08 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
[Send me the files, if you like] May 17, 2019

bendksu wrote:
Samuel wrote:

Yes, this is correct.

Well, you're welcome to send me the SDLXLIFF file and final file to have a look at, though I'm not expert and can only give an opinion. I was unable to contact you privately via your profile page.

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Long known issue according to Paul Filkin May 17, 2019

Since I had the same problem about 3 years ago with Studio 2014 (the problem occurred in connection with the autopropogate function), I contacted SDL on their community website (... See more
Since I had the same problem about 3 years ago with Studio 2014 (the problem occurred in connection with the autopropogate function), I contacted SDL on their community website (https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/5952/studio-2014-en-dash-replaced-by-simple-hyphen-when-autopropagating). According to the latest entries in the thread, it is still not fixed in version 2019 ...Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Different issue May 17, 2019

Martina-K wrote:
I had the same problem about 3 years ago with Studio 2014 (here).

I don't think it's the same issue. Your problem related to auto-propagation, and more importantly, in your case the dashes changed to hyphens inside Trados. In Bendksu's case, the dashes show up correctly inside Trados and are only converted to hyphens when creating the final file.

I tested Bendksu's problem with a test file, but was unable to reproduce the problem. All hyphens and dashes were correctly exported to the final file in my test.

Original file in Word:

test file in word

As shown in Trados 2019:

test file in trados

Final file in Word:

final file in word

I've reached the end of what I can do without seeing the actual source file, SDLXLIFF file and translated file.

[Edited at 2019-05-17 10:37 GMT]

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@Samuel May 17, 2019

You are right - I misunderstood the problem on hand, sorry for my unhelpful comment

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Have you tried using Ascii codes? May 17, 2019

I routinely use Alt 0150 for en dash when entering text in Studio 2019 (I never use em dash), and it turns out correct in the target text. Might that work for you?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio - changes em and en dashes into hyphens in target

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »