How do I restructure a large disorganized termbase?
Thread poster: Audrey Demers
Audrey Demers
Audrey Demers  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:30
English to French
May 16, 2019

Hi!

My team has a very large (around 10k entries) termbase that has been imported from different termbase management tools over the years, and has also been populated by a lot of different people using different fields in each entry.

We now have a terminology committee so all new entries are added to a new termbase following a consistent input model.

I would like to import some of the entries from the old termbase to the new one, but they don’t follow t
... See more
Hi!

My team has a very large (around 10k entries) termbase that has been imported from different termbase management tools over the years, and has also been populated by a lot of different people using different fields in each entry.

We now have a terminology committee so all new entries are added to a new termbase following a consistent input model.

I would like to import some of the entries from the old termbase to the new one, but they don’t follow the same field structure.

Is there a way to batch edit the entries in the old termbase so that they fit the new one and I can import them? For example : move all info in Definition field to the Description field (new termbase only uses the Description field, not Definition).

There are maybe 2k-3k entries to move, and they can be identified with a filter has they have varied fields, but all have a common field showing they have been approved by the committee.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
how I would probably do it May 16, 2019

I would probably export the SDL termbase to something editable (tab delimited .txt, e.g.), create the required structure (using something like Rons Editor; https://www.ronsplace.eu/products/ronseditor ), then create a new SDL termbase with Gloss... See more
I would probably export the SDL termbase to something editable (tab delimited .txt, e.g.), create the required structure (using something like Rons Editor; https://www.ronsplace.eu/products/ronseditor ), then create a new SDL termbase with Glossary Converter (https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/glossary-converter/195/ ).

Good luck!

Michael
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use MS Access May 16, 2019

Open the TB in Access and use the full power of queries or SQL to make all your changes. SDL TB's are MS Access files, just with a different extension.

Audrey Demers
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 17, 2019

Jaime Oriard wrote:

Open the TB in Access and use the full power of queries or SQL to make all your changes. SDL TB's are MS Access files, just with a different extension.

I have never used Access before, but it looks very promising, I can see a bit how it works! I’ll go watch some videos on YouTube and run some tests!

Thank you!

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 01:30
German to English
+ ...
Reorganising a TB May 21, 2019

I would first try a Multiterm Reorganise.
If this fails, import it into Glossary Converter.

Audrey Demers
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn’t quite work May 21, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

I would probably export the SDL termbase to something editable (tab delimited .txt, e.g.), create the required structure (using something like Rons Editor; https://www.ronsplace.eu/products/ronseditor ), then create a new SDL termbase with Glossary Converter (https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/glossary-converter/195/ ).

Good luck!

Michael

I’m having problems with this solution. I am able to open the termbase in Access, figure out where the values are and perform a search/replace, but the changes are not applied when I reopen the file in Multiterm.

The changes stay in the file if I reopen it in Access, but nothing changes in Multiterm.

Any idea how to resolve this?

ETA : the changes I need to make are mostly field labels. ex: In the English term, if there is any data in a field titled "Description", I now want that data to be in a field titled "Context".

Thanks!

[Edited at 2019-05-21 13:33 GMT]

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just delete your index files May 21, 2019

Delete all other files with the same file name but different extensions (mdf, mtf). And it won't hurt to reorganize it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I restructure a large disorganized termbase?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »