Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:17
English to French
May 8, 2019

Hi,

I have just completed the translation of a .po file for a WordPress plugin into French but when exporting the target file and opening it with Notepad, only the English text appears. "msgstr", which I believe should contain the French version, is empty. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

PS: I have Exported my project as a Bilingual Review and the French version is here. I have also exported it as a .sdlxliff file in the hope that I might be able to convert it
... See more
Hi,

I have just completed the translation of a .po file for a WordPress plugin into French but when exporting the target file and opening it with Notepad, only the English text appears. "msgstr", which I believe should contain the French version, is empty. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

PS: I have Exported my project as a Bilingual Review and the French version is here. I have also exported it as a .sdlxliff file in the hope that I might be able to convert it to a *.po file at a later stage but the "msgstr" part of the sdlxliff file that I opened in Notepad is still empty (???)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Olivier Den Hartigh
Collapse

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:17
Member (2014)
English to German
Maybe depending on the version used? May 8, 2019

Hi Olivier,

In the versions from 2015 on .po files can be translated directly (.po should be listed in the project settings under the the file types as "Portable Object").

For versions 2011 and 2014 there is an extension: https://appstore.sdl.com/de/language/app/file-type-definition-for-po/227/

This way you can generate the
... See more
Hi Olivier,

In the versions from 2015 on .po files can be translated directly (.po should be listed in the project settings under the the file types as "Portable Object").

For versions 2011 and 2014 there is an extension: https://appstore.sdl.com/de/language/app/file-type-definition-for-po/227/

This way you can generate the .po file directly.

HTH,
Silke
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help please - output .po file - translation empty

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »