Why can't I add any new file to any existing project?
Thread poster: Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Chiara Foppa Pedretti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:25
English to Italian
+ ...
May 3, 2019

Hello everyone,
I'm a Studio 2017 user. In the past two years, I've used Trados only occasionally, but now I've decided to give it a harder try.

My problem is very simple, maybe stupid, certainly annoying. I can't add any file to any existing project!

This is what happens ALL the time:
1) I have an open project with one or more files that I've already translated and exported (--> may this be the problem??)

2) I click on "Add file" and select a file from the dialog box.

3) All existing files, plus the new one, are marked as "untranslatable" and I can't work on them anymore.

Thank you so much in advance!

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
French to English
+ ...
A couple more steps are needed May 3, 2019

Hi Chiara - you are nearly there, I think, you just haven't quite got to the end of the process of preparing it for translation!

Once you've added your new file, click right on the title and select Batch Tasks > Prepare (either with or without project TM).

Click on "Finish" in the next dialogue box and, when complete, close the batch processing window.

You then have to remember to make sure you switch back to the target language version of the documents (on
... See more
Hi Chiara - you are nearly there, I think, you just haven't quite got to the end of the process of preparing it for translation!

Once you've added your new file, click right on the title and select Batch Tasks > Prepare (either with or without project TM).

Click on "Finish" in the next dialogue box and, when complete, close the batch processing window.

You then have to remember to make sure you switch back to the target language version of the documents (on my screen I click on the "files" pane on the left and select the target language.

You should now have the list of all your completed translations in this project, plus the incomplete one you have just added.

Hope this helps
Collapse

Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Chiara Foppa Pedretti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Irene! May 3, 2019

Wow, thank you, Irene. It works!
Seriously, I would have never done it on my own... Why everything in Trados is/seems so cumbersome?

Tom in London
Axelle H.

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
French to English
+ ...
Glad to be of help! May 3, 2019

I agree that it is not intuitive by any means!

Like most of the features, once you know how to do it, it becomes second nature, but it's certainly a very steep learning curve at the start!

Hope the rest of the translation process goes more smoothly!

Irene

Chiara Foppa Pedretti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't I add any new file to any existing project?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »