bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:17
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
May 3, 2019

I know that there are several postings on this topic, but I still cannot do this.

I am working in Studio 2017. I need to save my translation as an xliff, not sdlxliff. My client needs to export it into MemoQ.

I remember that I was able to save a file as xliff, but I do not remember how I did this. I remember that there was a keyboard shortcut.

Please help. Everything I do results in an sdlxliff file. I need an xliff.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
MemoQ May 3, 2019

I haven't used Trados in a long time and maybe you should look for something that says "Export" rather than "Save as".

I do use MemoQ, however, and MemoQ can import .sdlxliff files perfectly. Your client should not have any issues.

bendksu
Thailand
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
need xliff May 3, 2019

Thank you, @Lincoln Hui.
But my client is demanding xliff.

I do not see any way to export in Studio 2017.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
If your client needs an xliff... May 3, 2019

...then they need to send you xliff for translation - ask the client to export .XLF from MemoQ and send to you.

Next step for you is importing .XLF into Studio (it will be converted to .XLF.SDLXLIFF) and translate it. If you have already done this, then the existing translation will be entered automatically, and you will need only check a few segments if the segmentation will be slightly different.

When finished, go to File > Save target as... > save as .XLF and send ba
... See more
...then they need to send you xliff for translation - ask the client to export .XLF from MemoQ and send to you.

Next step for you is importing .XLF into Studio (it will be converted to .XLF.SDLXLIFF) and translate it. If you have already done this, then the existing translation will be entered automatically, and you will need only check a few segments if the segmentation will be slightly different.

When finished, go to File > Save target as... > save as .XLF and send back to the client.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

bendksu
Thailand
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
source is Word May 3, 2019

The translation is already finished. The source file was Word.

The client is demanding the translation be returned in XLIFF.

Any ideas?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
If source is Word DOC May 3, 2019

then your client needs to import it in their MemoQ, save a .XLF and send this .XLF to you for translation - see above.

Matthias Brombach
Jorge Payan

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:17
German to English
What's the problem? May 4, 2019

I've been sending SDLXLIFF files to clients who use memoQ for several years now. There should be no problem importing SDLXIFF files into memoQ.

In fact, Kilgray/memoQ itself says that you shouldn't try to import SDLXLIFF files using the generic XLIFF filter (at least if you're using memoQ 2015, but probably for all later versions as we
... See more
I've been sending SDLXLIFF files to clients who use memoQ for several years now. There should be no problem importing SDLXIFF files into memoQ.

In fact, Kilgray/memoQ itself says that you shouldn't try to import SDLXLIFF files using the generic XLIFF filter (at least if you're using memoQ 2015, but probably for all later versions as well):

http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?sdlxliff.html

Your client should be able to import your SDLXLIFF files without any problems.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:17
English to Russian
Delete sdl May 4, 2019

There is no direct way (and never been), but you can save a file as sdlxliff and then just remove the first 3 letters 'sdl' from its extension. memoQ will still be able to import it.
However, your client may not demand any file other than MS Word. They gave you an MS Word file. Why on earth they demand anything else?
Another situation I can think of is that they asked you to use memoQ, but you used Trados despite their instruction. If so, they will see you used another CAT tool anywa
... See more
There is no direct way (and never been), but you can save a file as sdlxliff and then just remove the first 3 letters 'sdl' from its extension. memoQ will still be able to import it.
However, your client may not demand any file other than MS Word. They gave you an MS Word file. Why on earth they demand anything else?
Another situation I can think of is that they asked you to use memoQ, but you used Trados despite their instruction. If so, they will see you used another CAT tool anyway because tags, as exported from Trados, look different in memoQ. For example, memoQ does not need any tags for italics, while any text in italics from Trados will appear tagged with 'g' opening and closing tags in memoQ.

[Edited at 2019-05-05 07:26 GMT]
Collapse

Antonio Angelov
Antonio Angelov
Japan
Local time: 00:17
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Please advise on the same topic Oct 19, 2022

I have a client now that gave me a translation to be done in Trados. The source files are shown as SDL XLIFF files in the details tab but their extension is imdl at the end of the file name.
PIC : https://we.tl/t-nvLTv4QyXV

And they are demanding to receive the translated files in XLIFF.
However, from Trados I am only able to export the translations as an IDML file or Trados project fi
... See more
I have a client now that gave me a translation to be done in Trados. The source files are shown as SDL XLIFF files in the details tab but their extension is imdl at the end of the file name.
PIC : https://we.tl/t-nvLTv4QyXV

However, from Trados I am only able to export the translations as an IDML file or Trados project file from batch tasks -> generate target translation.
PIC : https://we.tl/t-SBJSNLdcjr

Could you offer advice on how to export in XLIFF? It'd be greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:17
English to Russian
XLIFF or SDLXLIFF Oct 19, 2022

When you say XLIFF, do you mean SDLXLIFF?
If you mean sdlxliff but not xliff, then your files are already sdlxliff. You don't need to export them. Just translate them with Trados. The 'extension' that you see at the end of each file (idml) is actually not extension but a part of the file name. Can you see other extensions like .docx, .pdf, etc? Most probably extensions are hidden in your system. It must be like this:
Chapter 1_Safety.idml.sdlproj
Chapter 1_Safety.idml.sdlxliff<
... See more
When you say XLIFF, do you mean SDLXLIFF?
If you mean sdlxliff but not xliff, then your files are already sdlxliff. You don't need to export them. Just translate them with Trados. The 'extension' that you see at the end of each file (idml) is actually not extension but a part of the file name. Can you see other extensions like .docx, .pdf, etc? Most probably extensions are hidden in your system. It must be like this:
Chapter 1_Safety.idml.sdlproj
Chapter 1_Safety.idml.sdlxliff
Chapter 1_Safety.idml_ja-JP_en-US.idml.idml
etc.

You seem to have created a project from every single file. Now you have two options:
Option 1: Click every first file.sdlproj (out of three) to open the project in Trados, then translate a couple of segments and press Ctrl+S, then check the time stamp against the second file.sdlxliff. If the time stamp is exactly when you saved the file, proceed with your translation. Once you are done with it, collect all sdlxliff files (every second file out of three as shown in your screenshot #2) and send them to your client.
Option 2: Create a new project and add all sdlxliff files (every second file out of three as shown in your screenshot #2) to that project. Translate and send them to your client.

[Edited at 2022-10-19 10:51 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
File extensions Oct 19, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
The 'extension' that you see at the end of each file (idml) is actually not extension but a part of the file name.

I agree. Your Windows is set up to hide file extensions from you (this is normal for Windows), but the Windows operating system only considers the very last file extension to be the file's "file extension". This means that if you have a file named e.g. hello.idml.sdlxliff, Windows will consider "hello.idml" to be the file name and "sdlxliff" to be the file extension. And since your installation of Windows hides file extensions, it shows up as "hello.idml" in the list, making you think that this is an "IDML" file, when in fact it is an SDLXLIFF file.

Antonio Angelov wrote:

They probably mean that you should translate the SDLXLIFF file and then deliver the SDLXLIFF file. You can do what Stepan suggests (i.e. double-click the SDLPROJ file) but personally I would just double-click the SDLXLIFF file (it will then open in Trados, then you translate it, then you "save", and then you send that SDLXLIFF file back to the client).

Or better yet: I would have added all the SDLXLIFF files into a single new project... but this may be too complicated for you at this stage in your Trados journey (also since Trados will then save copies of the SDLXLIFF files in another location, and you have to watch out that you end up sending the correct files to the client).

Windows refers to the SDLXLIFF file as an "SDL XLIFF Document".

[Edited at 2022-10-19 12:58 GMT]

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

save as XLIFF in Studio 2017

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »