Check if a term has the same translation across the file?
Thread poster: jfariasf
jfariasf
jfariasf
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 25, 2019

I have SDL Trados (I'm a beginner) and I wonder if there's a way to check if a word has been consistently translated across the doc and doesn't have different definitions, as I might be using Google translate or other tools not necessarily integrated with SDL Trados.

Is it possible with trados or another tool?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Farias Apr 25, 2019

jfariasf wrote:
I have SDL Trados (I'm a beginner) and I wonder if there's a way to check if a word has been consistently translated across the document and doesn't have different definitions.

In Trados, on the left, click "Projects" so that the list of projects open on the right. Then right-click the project in the list, and select Batch Tasks > Export for Bilingual Review. This will create an MS Word file with the segments. Now you can open that file in MS Word and use find/replace to highlight the words that you want to check (and their translations, if known). Then quickly scroll through the file and check if the highlights match up (and/or check how each one was translated). If you find an error, fix it inside Trados itself.

Or, you can go into the file itself, and then go to the Review tab and filter the segments based on the source term. Unfortunately Trados does not offer temporary highlighting, nor does it offer the ability to filter on both source and target simultaneously. I thought I had a plugin installed that could do that, but now I can't find it (the fact that Trados' menus appear and disappear based on whether you're in the right place in the program makes it difficult to find something that you remember you had but now lost).

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:03
English to Thai
+ ...
Multiterm Apr 25, 2019

jfariasf wrote:

I have SDL Trados (I'm a beginner) and I wonder if there's a way to check if a word has been consistently translated across the doc and doesn't have different definitions, as I might be using Google translate or other tools not necessarily integrated with SDL Trados.

Trados has Multiterm, a termbase to quicky insert and visually check consistency of terms in the entire file.

In addition, Xbench is one small application to set and check term cinsistency Trados files quickly.

Soonthon L.

[Edited at 2019-04-25 07:31 GMT]

jfariasf
jfariasf
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using multiterm for now Apr 26, 2019

Thanks for you answers. I ended up using Multiterm (although the options to export data are very poor).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check if a term has the same translation across the file?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »