"Translate the untranslated words" in software (Trados)
Thread poster: Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
Local time: 08:23
French to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2019

Hello,

I've got Trados files that have already been translated: original on the left, translation on the right, as usual. The client wants me to "translate the untranslated words." Is there a quick way to find those untranslated words?

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
See All content Apr 17, 2019

Maybe you could find untranslated words, if you tick the Filter icon down to the right of the Studio window, and see "All content"?
Good luck!

Eliza Hall

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
search for words? Apr 17, 2019

Eliza Hall wrote:
I've got Trados files that have already been translated: original on the left, translation on the right, as usual. The client wants me to "translate the untranslated words." Is there a quick way to find those untranslated words?

I am not sure what your client wants, but you have this option that you could try:
- Open the Editor window.
- On the Review tab on the ribbon, click on the All segment icon, and choose "Not translated"

Then you should have all the non translated segments listed.

If the client actually want you to find singular words that have not been translated in an otherwise translated segment, you may be in trouble, as Studio would not necessarily be able to know which words have not been translated.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Enable Track changes and spellcheck... Apr 17, 2019

Before running the spellchecker, enable (turn on) Track changes. Instead of correcting the foreign words, mark them with, say a hash sign and an at-sign at either end. Do likewise, obviously, for long sequences of "translatable" text. Then filter for the '@' sign and process the revision-marked text.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)

[Edited at 2019-04-17 20:01 GMT]

Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 18, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:
I am not sure what your client wants, but you have this option that you could try:
- Open the Editor window.
- On the Review tab on the ribbon, click on the All segment icon, and choose "Not translated"

Then you should have all the non translated segments listed.

If the client actually want you to find singular words that have not been translated in an otherwise translated segment, you may be in trouble, as Studio would not necessarily be able to know which words have not been translated.

Thanks, that "Not translated" thing was very helpful. I still will have to scan (and it's a lot of text) for individual errors but as someone who just launched myself into Trados without bothering to watch their instructional videos, I don't know any of the subtleties, so thanks for that.

Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 18, 2019

IanDhu wrote:

Before running the spellchecker, enable (turn on) Track changes. Instead of correcting the foreign words, mark them with, say a hash sign and an at-sign at either end. Do likewise, obviously, for long sequences of "translatable" text. Then filter for the '@' sign and process the revision-marked text.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)

[Edited at 2019-04-17 20:01 GMT]

That makes sense -- I can export to Word and go from there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translate the untranslated words" in software (Trados)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »