Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 16:16
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 31, 2018

I use SDL Trados 2017, but am not an expert in it. Basically my clients send me the files with sdlxliff extension and I manage to translate and send those to them. Recently a client sent me a project with sdlppx extension and opening the same with Trados I found 9 files, translated those and saved also.

But when I closed Trados and opened the project (sdlxliff) by clicking it again, I saw it as it was before (I mean the translation isn't completed). If I open Trados (by clicking Tr
... See more
I use SDL Trados 2017, but am not an expert in it. Basically my clients send me the files with sdlxliff extension and I manage to translate and send those to them. Recently a client sent me a project with sdlppx extension and opening the same with Trados I found 9 files, translated those and saved also.

But when I closed Trados and opened the project (sdlxliff) by clicking it again, I saw it as it was before (I mean the translation isn't completed). If I open Trados (by clicking Trados, not the project) I find the translation completed. So is there any way to save the project (not the file separately)? Or what I should do now? What will I send to the client?

Best regards,
Abu Alam
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:16
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
sdlppx is a Studio package Dec 31, 2018

An sdlppx file is basically a zipped archive, which means that Studio will expand it into a project. When you have translated it, you have to create a return package (I think you should check the electronic Help in Studio for the details)

Your problem regarding the sdlxliff files not being translated would be because you are opening the source files, for instance the sdlxliff files in the en-US folder. They stay untranslated.

You will find the target sdlxliff files in
... See more
An sdlppx file is basically a zipped archive, which means that Studio will expand it into a project. When you have translated it, you have to create a return package (I think you should check the electronic Help in Studio for the details)

Your problem regarding the sdlxliff files not being translated would be because you are opening the source files, for instance the sdlxliff files in the en-US folder. They stay untranslated.

You will find the target sdlxliff files in your target language folder, and they will have your translation.

But again, when returning the project, create a return package and send that to your client.
Collapse

Md Abu Alam

Md Abu Alam
Bangladesh
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Can you mention the menu path please? Dec 31, 2018

Thank you very much. Would you please also mention the menu path for creating the return package please? You said, an sdlppx file is basically a zipped archive. So, is there any way to unzip it?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Abu Dec 31, 2018

Md Abu Alam wrote:
But when I closed Trados and opened the project by clicking it again, I saw it as it was before (I mean the translation isn't completed). If I open Trados (by clicking Trados, not the project) I find the translation completed.

Yes, this is a common mistake by people who don't understand what a package is for (it took me a while to figure it out as well, with loss of translations!). Other CAT tools also have "packages". Normally, when you open a file (e.g. an MS Word file), and do some work in the program (e.g. in MS Word), and then "save", your edits are saved to the file that you had originally opened. However, when you "open" a package, you're not really opening a file, but you are unpacking a bundled project. When you then continue to work in Trados, you're not working on the package, but on the opened project, which as you know is simply a set of folders somewhere on your computer where the SDLXLIFF files are saved in two language code folders.

(You are quite fortunate that Trados does not overwrite your translation with the empty files when you double-click the package the second time -- some other tools simply assume that you want to start over, and then overwrite your translated files with the empty files from the package when it unpacks it a second time.)

Md Abu Alam wrote:
Would you please also mention the menu path for creating the return package please?

If the client wants you to send them a package back (instead of the individual SDLXLIFF files), you need to create a so-called return package (this may be called other things in other CAT tools, but in Trados it's called a "return package"). In Trados, on the left, go to the Projects view so that you see a list of projects on the right. Then right-click the project, and select "Create return package". Trados will then prompt you to save the file somewhere. Trados might prompt you to revalidate the files and might give validation error messages, but it will create the package in the end. (I'm not sure if Trados automatically generates target files when creating a package.)

What I do personally, is to always add "return -" in front of the file name, so that I can more easily distinguish the forward packages from the return packages, and so that I don't send the wrong package to the client by mistake. So, then the file is named e.g. "return - kdUfgv6AuytSmAhZ.sdlrpx" instead of "kdUfgv6AuytSmAhZ.sdlrpx". Changing the file name doesn't affect the return package itself.

Roy said, an sdlppx file is basically a zipped archive. So, is there any way to unzip it?

The SDLPPX file is the forward package, i.e. the untranslated or partially translated files from the client. The SDLRPX is the return package that you send back to the client. Both are zip files, but that should not concern you because you have Trados. The fact that they are zip files are only relevant to people who try to translate them without Trados.

When you double-click the SDLPPX file (and if you have Trados installed), what essentially happens is that Trados unzips it for you into a project folder and adds the project to the project list inside Trados. If you unzip it manually, you have to manually add the project to the project list inside Trados as well. So don't do that... you paid good money for Trados. (-:

If you're curious, you can unzip then with any unzipping utility, but I recommend 7-zip. Right-click the file and you'll see either an option to extract it or an option to open a 7-zip submenu with unzipping options.

[Edited at 2018-12-31 08:45 GMT]

Md Abu Alam
zeeshan arain (X)

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Creating a return package Dec 31, 2018

Md Abu Alam wrote:

Thank you very much. Would you please also mention the menu path for creating the return package please? You said, an sdlppx file is basically a zipped archive. So, is there any way to unzip it?

Projects window > highlight the project in question

On the Home ribbon > click on the "Create Return Package" icon. I hope you from thereon will see how to create it, including files and where to place the package. I will advice you to tell Studio where you want it so that you can easily find it, although as far as I remember Studio asks you if you want to open to folder where the package is.

You can also right click the project in question and choose Create return package from the popup menu. Personally I prefer to do it that way rather than trying to find the proper icon on the ribbon.

I hope that helps. But please try to use the Help in Studio if you are stuck.

Md Abu Alam

Md Abu Alam
Bangladesh
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks a lot Jan 4, 2019

Thank you very much both off you. This really helped me tremendously, solved my problem and enriched my knowledge.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving a project with sdlppx extension

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »