Thread poster: Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 28, 2018

Dear all

I have translated a large document with SDL Trados 2007 but I cannot clean it up. I have tried with other formats like Word 97.
I would try with RTF format but when I try to save it as RTF, a message appears telling me "The Network or path where you are trying to save this document is unavailable".
Usually I can clean the documents up with Word 97 format, but this time it doesn't help
I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help... See more
Dear all

I have translated a large document with SDL Trados 2007 but I cannot clean it up. I have tried with other formats like Word 97.
I would try with RTF format but when I try to save it as RTF, a message appears telling me "The Network or path where you are trying to save this document is unavailable".
Usually I can clean the documents up with Word 97 format, but this time it doesn't help
I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help

Best Regards
Collapse

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
English to German
Pretranslate? Dec 28, 2018

Have you tried pretranslating your document using the TM you created?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean "Save target as" Dec 29, 2018

There is no cleanup function in Studio. One reason could be your source file is open somewhere.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:53
English to Russian
Replace hidden text Dec 29, 2018

Option 1 for Word 2007: View > Macros > from your list of macros, select and run tw4winClean.Main. For Word 2003 and other versions, you need to find the 'Macros' feature too, but I don't remember exactly where ('Tools' tab for MS Word 2003?.. Not sure).

Option 2 for all: Press Ctrl+H in your uncleaned document. Try replacing ^? ('any character', Format > Font > Hidden ticked) with empty value. This will remove all except your translation.

Don't forget to SAVE A COPY be
... See more
Option 1 for Word 2007: View > Macros > from your list of macros, select and run tw4winClean.Main. For Word 2003 and other versions, you need to find the 'Macros' feature too, but I don't remember exactly where ('Tools' tab for MS Word 2003?.. Not sure).

Option 2 for all: Press Ctrl+H in your uncleaned document. Try replacing ^? ('any character', Format > Font > Hidden ticked) with empty value. This will remove all except your translation.

Don't forget to SAVE A COPY before doing that.

[Edited at 2018-12-29 09:36 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Vera Schoen

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TTX or DOC/RTF? Dec 29, 2018

Guillermo de la Puerta wrote:
I have translated a large document with SDL Trados 2007 but I cannot clean it up.

Is this a TTX file or a DOC/RTF file?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:53
English to Russian
There is no 'uncleaned' concept for Tageditor Dec 29, 2018

As far as I remember, Tageditor can only generate either a TTX file or a DOC(X)/RTF target file. TTX files cannot be 'cleaned' or 'uncleaned'.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On what "clean" means Dec 29, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:
As far as I remember, Tageditor can only generate either a TTX file or a DOC(X)/RTF target file. TTX files cannot be 'cleaned' or 'uncleaned'.

Strictly speaking, yes, TagEditor produces TTX files, and TTX files are not "uncleaned" in the original sense of the word. However, ever since the time of Trados 5, CAT tool users (and some vendors) have been using the term "to clean" to refer to either generating a target file or updating the TM with the latest translations. I was just trying to make sure the OP is indeed referring to styled RTF and not TTX.

[Edited at 2018-12-29 15:03 GMT]

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:53
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Old version Dec 29, 2018

He's talking about a very old version. It's not a Studio, more like a plug-in in the Word. It works perfectly to produce a bilingual version, I indeed miss that. Nowadays using Studio doesn't help me get a good bilingual version.

With this version, it has a "clean-up" function to remove the source text. If it doesn't work, usually it's because some tags are missing.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Trados 2007? Dec 31, 2018

Guillermo de la Puerta wrote:

Dear all

I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help

Best Regards

Had the same problem long time ago. Found out it was an incompatibility problem with Office. 2007 is contructed for Office 97 or lower. Try Macro TW4winClean.Main, did the trick for me.

Angie Garbarino

Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody Dec 31, 2018

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.

It was a very long and heavy file with many photos and graphics. I guess the problem was, when I converted the pdf file many parts of the text turned into text boxes and perhaps some tags were missing or wrong.Also Abby Fine Reader destroyed many graphics and that gave me a lot of work arranging the format

The Trados Version is SDL Trados 2007 which has a Cleanup command. Usually I found no problems cleaning up the files
... See more
Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.

It was a very long and heavy file with many photos and graphics. I guess the problem was, when I converted the pdf file many parts of the text turned into text boxes and perhaps some tags were missing or wrong.Also Abby Fine Reader destroyed many graphics and that gave me a lot of work arranging the format

The Trados Version is SDL Trados 2007 which has a Cleanup command. Usually I found no problems cleaning up the files saving the document in Word 97 format but this time I got it difficult.

Finally, the way I solved the problem was using the Macro tw4winClean.Main.

Greetings
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I cannot clean up the document I translated with SDL Trados 2007

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »