How to synchronize a Trados project on 2 computers?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:41
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 21, 2018

I will start working with 2 computers (home computer and office computer), and I plan to have SDL Trados installed on both computers so that I can work on my projects on both.

But I have two concerns:

1. Is it possible to install Trados on 2 computers using a single, personal license?
(My current license is SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance.)

2. Is it possible to work on the same project on two computers (at different times), while somehow maintaining
... See more
I will start working with 2 computers (home computer and office computer), and I plan to have SDL Trados installed on both computers so that I can work on my projects on both.

But I have two concerns:

1. Is it possible to install Trados on 2 computers using a single, personal license?
(My current license is SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance.)

2. Is it possible to work on the same project on two computers (at different times), while somehow maintaining the TMs, translation files, termbases etc. synchronized in an efficient way?
For instance, I may want to start working on a project at home, then continue at the office, then continue back home, and so on, and it would be great if this can be done in a reasonably seamless way. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thomas
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:41
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Yes! Dec 21, 2018

I am not an expert, but the following works for me.

It all depends on where Trados stores projects and TMs.

If you change this to the same cloud storage folder (such as One Drive) on both computers, then the project is automatically synchronized.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 00:41
English to German
License Dec 21, 2018

Hi Thomas,

AFAIK, you need a Freelance Plus license to install on two computers.

See also: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/93/t/5900

I'm the old-fashioned type, I have some external hard disks that I can physically transport between computers, and I also use them to create an ongoing bac
... See more
Hi Thomas,

AFAIK, you need a Freelance Plus license to install on two computers.

See also: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/93/t/5900

I'm the old-fashioned type, I have some external hard disks that I can physically transport between computers, and I also use them to create an ongoing backup of my internal hard disks. But I realize that this method is just a (literally) pedestrian version of the Cloud.

Ricki
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to synchronize a Trados project on 2 computers?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »