Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:16
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2018

I'm translating thousands of product codes that are mostly the same except for some combination of letters&numbers (for example, in one item to be translated it is XXXXXXXXXXX PN20, and in the next item is it XXXXXXXXXXX PN32). Is there a way for Trados Studio to auto translate this part so that I don't have to type manually in the editor?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:16
English to Thai
+ ...
Find and Replace all Dec 11, 2018

My simplest method in Trados is
Find and Replace all.
I can also Find and Replace all before or after Trados e.g. by using MS Word advanced Find and Replace all function.

Regards
Soonthon L.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:16
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Export to Bilingual View and sort in Word Dec 11, 2018

Regrettably it seems Studio lacks a sorting function similar to for instance memoQ or Dejavu, where you can sort the segments alphabetically.

One solution, therefore, would be to export to bilingual view, open the file in Word, sort the segments alphabetically there and copy source to target for the segments with codes.

Then you import the result back again.

I am not sure if Find and replace in Studio fits the bill, the way I understand your need, since eac
... See more
Regrettably it seems Studio lacks a sorting function similar to for instance memoQ or Dejavu, where you can sort the segments alphabetically.

One solution, therefore, would be to export to bilingual view, open the file in Word, sort the segments alphabetically there and copy source to target for the segments with codes.

Then you import the result back again.

I am not sure if Find and replace in Studio fits the bill, the way I understand your need, since each code is different. Search and Replace only works if you have lot of identical chunks as far as I can see. Which would not be the case for you.

Actually, in this instance I think Studio would copy source to target for these segments as part of the autopropagation function as soon as you have "translated" the first segment. Although I am not totally sure since I usually do the actual translation in Dejavu, and only use Studio for QA purposes.

[Edited at 2018-12-11 07:33 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Frank Dec 11, 2018

Frank Zou wrote:
I'm translating thousands of product codes that are mostly the same except for some combination of letters & numbers (for example, in one item to be translated it is XXXXXXXXXXX PN20, and in the next item is it XXXXXXXXXXX PN32). Is there a way for Trados Studio to auto translate this part so that I don't have to type manually in the editor?

I'm surprised that Trados doesn't do it for you. I assume you're referring to Trados auto-updating the number when giving you a fuzzy match. I just tested it, and it appears that my Trados (2019) can do it.

If you're referring to easily inserting it without having to type it, then I don't know how to do that in Trados (I'm not a regular user of Trados). My own CAT tool, WFC, has this feature whereby you type the first one or more characters of a word that is present in the source text, and then press Tab, and it "types" the rest of the word for you. So, in WFC, I would press P and then press Tab, and WFC would insert "PN20" into the target field. I'm not sure if such a thing exists in Trados.

If you're very skilled at using MS Word (including wildcard Find/Replace and the creation of character styles), and if you have access to the original file, and if the original file is MS Word, and if those codes have a predictable pattern so that you can find all of them with Find/Replace... then... then you can change all of those codes to the character style named "tw4winInternal", and translate the updated file in Trados again. Trados will then regard those codes as tags and treat them as tags.

[Edited at 2018-12-11 09:21 GMT]

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Translating product codes Dec 11, 2018

You could run a Find/Replace regex on the target file to translate the product codes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto translate combination of letter&number

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »