Is it possible to open all files at once in a project with a folder structure in Studio 2017?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:23
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 20, 2018

Is it possible to open all files at once in a project with a folder structure in Studio 2017?

It's a package with several sub-folders, so I have to open the files one by one. The issue with this is that as I translate I note down in a textfile terms I'm unsure about and then sometime as the project proceeds I find the right translation. I then need to go back to the previous files and make these changes in each and one of them, and don't remember which of the files this specific ter
... See more

It's a package with several sub-folders, so I have to open the files one by one. The issue with this is that as I translate I note down in a textfile terms I'm unsure about and then sometime as the project proceeds I find the right translation. I then need to go back to the previous files and make these changes in each and one of them, and don't remember which of the files this specific term appeared. In this case, it's so much easier to just open all files at once and do the batch editing, which doesn't work when there is a folder structure in the package. Or is there any way to it anyway?
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's possible Nov 21, 2018

In the "Files" view, if you select the project name instead of an individual folder, and make sure the option at the bottom of that panel "Include subfolders" is selected, you should get all project files in the working panel, regardless of what folder they are in. You can then select one, several or all files and open for translation as usual.

Hamid Aydin

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:23
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, can view all files now in the project Nov 21, 2018

Thanks Angela, much easier than the crude method I was going to use: copy all SDLXLIFF files to a separate folder and open them when finished with the translation. Now when I do as you suggested I can view all files in the project and open them all at the same time.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Thanks Angela! Nov 21, 2018

A big thank-you from me too! I was struggling with this as well. In 2015 it always seemed to open that 'all files' view by default and I couldn't figure out where it went in 2017. I had to use my old machine with 2015 still on it for the project, but I'm glad I know how to fix it now.

Lucia Vargas
Lucia Vargas  Identity Verified
Tunisia
Local time: 20:23
English to Spanish
Thank you! Good for Trados Studio 2021 too! Dec 13, 2021

Thank you, Fredrik and Angela, for asking and aswering.

Today, this response has saved me hours of work. I have been working for years, many times, with this type of projects with folder structure and never noticed about this Verification box Include subfolders just below the folder structure. Today I got tired and decided to do some research. And then I found your post.

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »