A few questions in regards to SDL Studio 2019
Thread poster: Christian Schmidt
Oct 17, 2018

Hello,

I`m a student and currently have the project to work with SDL Trados. There are a few questions I couldn't figure out by myself so far. I hope someone here can help me out.

1.) With SDL Trados 2019, is it possible to generate a Translation Memory from files, where there will be no repeating words in it? It`s not necessary that there is a valid translation for these words. Pretty much one side could be empty. What I really want is a file (optimally a TM), where al
... See more
Hello,

I`m a student and currently have the project to work with SDL Trados. There are a few questions I couldn't figure out by myself so far. I hope someone here can help me out.

1.) With SDL Trados 2019, is it possible to generate a Translation Memory from files, where there will be no repeating words in it? It`s not necessary that there is a valid translation for these words. Pretty much one side could be empty. What I really want is a file (optimally a TM), where all words from different files are existent (but no repeating, meaning for example the word "abstract" should just be in the TM once if it appears multiple times in the document).
That way for example I could have someone translating that generated TM, without bothering with repeating words.

2.) For simplicity and more ease with managing files I'd like to use multilingual Translations Memories. So far I figured out that I need it server-oriented. But then I probably need some sort of license from SDL for it, right? What would I need for that? I heard something about "GroupShare", which is the "new" Translation Memory Server that SDL provides. Would that be needed or are there cheaper alternatives?

That would be it for now. Thank you for any help!

Greetings.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:00
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Are you new to translation, I wonder? Oct 17, 2018

Christian Schmidt wrote:
1.) With SDL Trados 2019, is it possible to generate a Translation Memory from files, where there will be no repeating words in it? It`s not necessary that there is a valid translation for these words. Pretty much one side could be empty. What I really want is a file (optimally a TM), where all words from different files are existent (but no repeating, meaning for example the word "abstract" should just be in the TM once if it appears multiple times in the document).
That way for example I could have someone translating that generated TM, without bothering with repeating words.

I may not understand your request, but when you do a translation, the context is very important. Therefore, removing all repeated words will not work very well.

I do think, though, that what you want, is an "Export for bilingual review", where you skip all repeated segments, not words. After all removing words from a segment just because it's appeared in a different segment already makes for very strange results, and you risk that the end result will be basically unusable, so I would advice you not to try that excersize.

I don't know what language you are translating from and to, but please note that one word can be translated multiple ways, depending on the sentence (segment) it appears in.

For instance: Let's say you have the word train. You then could have "train", "train station", "train wagon" etc. In each of these instances you would need to translate "train" in Norwegian - you cannot just skip it, since you would have "tog", "togstasjon", "togvogn" etc.

Again, the safest would be to use External view and just include 1 occurence for each segment, although you run certain risks also there, but much smaller than based on words.

Export for bilingual review:
Right click the files in question
Batch task: Export for bilingual review

By the way, while other CAT tools do allow for skipping locked segments and repeated segments, it seems Studio does not allow for this, as far as I can see. I am not sure it is such a good idea anyway.

Christian Schmidt

Christian Schmidt
Christian Schmidt
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
To Roy Oestensen Oct 17, 2018

Thank you for you answer Roy Oestensen.

I see that I expressed myself very unclear. I should have rather said repeated "segments" instead of words. Repeating Words in an Segment are fine. I just want to skip the repeating segments that are completely identically.

I just tried to export for bilingual review, however is also shows all the repeating segments as well. Am I missing an option here?

So to maybe clarify:
I'd like to create a new document out
... See more
Thank you for you answer Roy Oestensen.

I see that I expressed myself very unclear. I should have rather said repeated "segments" instead of words. Repeating Words in an Segment are fine. I just want to skip the repeating segments that are completely identically.

I just tried to export for bilingual review, however is also shows all the repeating segments as well. Am I missing an option here?

So to maybe clarify:
I'd like to create a new document out of a given one, that does not include any repeating segments (only the first occurrence of course). That could be a TM or maybe the same file format I was given. Most likely I'll get an xml file and filter out the needed elements.

Anyway, thanks a lot so far.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:00
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Segments rather than words makes sense. Oct 17, 2018

Christian Schmidt wrote:
I'd like to create a new document out of a given one, that does not include any repeating segments (only the first occurrence of course). That could be a TM or maybe the same file format I was given. Most likely I'll get an xml file and filter out the needed elements.

Dejavu should be able to what you actually want, but as you already are using Studio, it doesn't make good sense to invest in Dejavu also for just a one off job.

I think the following is one way of solving what you want (although you can find a suggested way also here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/TM_View/TM_Data/Importing_Exporting_TM_Data/O_ImExpTM.htm
This seems to demand special formats for the table, though)

Export for bilingual review.
Sort the exported table accirding to the source segments in alphabetical order
Delete all repeated segments (depending on how big project you are talking about I don't think this should take too much time.
Send the resulting file to whoever is to translate this.

When you get the resulting file back, you hide all text in the source column (or delete it)
Then run an alignment between the documents and export the alignment into some translation memory, and you should have what you want.

Alignment: You find this in the Translation memory tab.

Hope this is some help.

Roy

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 17:00
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Suggestion for Exported Bilingual Files Oct 17, 2018

Hello Chris,

After you have generated the exported bilingual file, you could delete the rows that correspond to a certain color. Trados generates the rows with different colors depending on the fuzzy match percentage or if they are repetitions.

Good luck,
Patricia

[Edited at 2018-10-17 19:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A few questions in regards to SDL Studio 2019

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »