Studio 2017 does not recognise practically identical matches - what to do?
Thread poster: Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Local time: 12:22
English to German
Oct 16, 2018

Hi all,

it's happening again and again, not in all cases, but it's giving me a bad feeling and it's a nuisance.

Say, I translated one sentence
"{0} properties shared across {1} records".

And the next sentence is
"{0} properties shared across {1} record".

Or, since it's nothing to do with the variables:
"Predicted Availability Info:" vs. "Predicted Availability Info"

These sentences are practically identical and I
... See more
Hi all,

it's happening again and again, not in all cases, but it's giving me a bad feeling and it's a nuisance.

Say, I translated one sentence
"{0} properties shared across {1} records".

And the next sentence is
"{0} properties shared across {1} record".

Or, since it's nothing to do with the variables:
"Predicted Availability Info:" vs. "Predicted Availability Info"

These sentences are practically identical and I do find them in the concordance, but they are not offered me as fuzzy matches, the target cell remains blank.

This is only happening with projects from one particular customer, i.e. using the same TM. Since it's a big TM I tried updating the TM's Fuzzy Index, but to no avail.

Any ideas why this is happening? It's not too bad if this happens when the sentences are only a few segments apart, but I hate the thought that I might be creating inconsistencies because I'm missing out on these high matches.

Best,
Katja

--
www.kiefheim.de
Collapse

Marija Grinevičiūtė

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Main TMs vs. Project TMs Oct 19, 2018

Hi Katja,

Are you using project TMs?
I believe I had the same issue when I (accidentally) created new projects with project TMs.

If you are in doubt about it, just create a new project and check which standard option you're using (with vs. without project TMs).

All I know is that, after creating projects without project TMs, I had no more problems.

Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)
Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Happens often to me Oct 19, 2018

This happens often to me and I found the reason so it's only semi-annoying now. I hope the following helps:

I found out that (since some time last year), "Update TM" check box in Project settings (you are shown this when you create/add a TM for a project) is NOT clicked by default (not everytime but quite often) so matches are not recognized (until you finalize or otherwise commit changes to TM). If that is also the case with you, clicking project settings and checking "Update" chec
... See more
This happens often to me and I found the reason so it's only semi-annoying now. I hope the following helps:

I found out that (since some time last year), "Update TM" check box in Project settings (you are shown this when you create/add a TM for a project) is NOT clicked by default (not everytime but quite often) so matches are not recognized (until you finalize or otherwise commit changes to TM). If that is also the case with you, clicking project settings and checking "Update" checkbox would solve the problem.

scrn
Collapse

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but problem still open, more ideas please! Oct 19, 2018

Hi Matheus and Haluk,

thanks a lot for thinking about my problem!

I don't use project TMs, especially not in this project: I regularly do smaller jobs for this particular client and they all go into the one big client TM (and I just checked the "Update" checkmark again, just to be on the safe side). The translation units are committed into that TM just fine - as I said, I do find them in the concordance immediately, they are just not reliably presented to me when I tran
... See more
Hi Matheus and Haluk,

thanks a lot for thinking about my problem!

I don't use project TMs, especially not in this project: I regularly do smaller jobs for this particular client and they all go into the one big client TM (and I just checked the "Update" checkmark again, just to be on the safe side). The translation units are committed into that TM just fine - as I said, I do find them in the concordance immediately, they are just not reliably presented to me when I translate.

So the reason for this hiccup must lie somewhere else. Any more ideas out there? Keep them coming!

Thanks again,
Katja

[Edited at 2018-10-19 09:08 GMT]
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Happens with big TMs Oct 19, 2018

I know what you are talking about. I advise to switch off the Look Ahead function (right now I'm not in front of Studio, so I can't tell you where to find it) or to try putting the cursor in another segment and then coming back to the one you're working in. Let me know if this helps.

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Looks good... Oct 22, 2018

Hello Ekaterina,

thanks a lot for your tip.

Now that I came across one of these practially identical sentences that was not offered as a high match I had a chance to test. I deactivated LookAhead - and would you believe it, I got my match displayed! So, this looks good! Let's hope it always works like that.

Your other suggestion (going to a different segment and coming back to the segment in question) is something that I automatically do in such cases anywa
... See more
Hello Ekaterina,

thanks a lot for your tip.

Now that I came across one of these practially identical sentences that was not offered as a high match I had a chance to test. I deactivated LookAhead - and would you believe it, I got my match displayed! So, this looks good! Let's hope it always works like that.

Your other suggestion (going to a different segment and coming back to the segment in question) is something that I automatically do in such cases anyway, that doesn't help.

Thanks for now!
Katja
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Well... Oct 22, 2018

Well, let's hope things stay this way. You're most welcome!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 does not recognise practically identical matches - what to do?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »