Thread poster: Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:28
French to English
Oct 8, 2018

I am using SDL Trados 17.
I saw this same problem in a thread from 2013, but that was with an earlier version of Trados.

The terms are sometimes recognised and sometimes not. Two segments can have exactly the same term but one will display the term base entries and the next one will not. I thought it was a problem of capitalisation of first letters but I have checked that and that does not seem to be the problem.

Could anyone suggest why this might be?

... See more
I am using SDL Trados 17.
I saw this same problem in a thread from 2013, but that was with an earlier version of Trados.

The terms are sometimes recognised and sometimes not. Two segments can have exactly the same term but one will display the term base entries and the next one will not. I thought it was a problem of capitalisation of first letters but I have checked that and that does not seem to be the problem.

Could anyone suggest why this might be?

Many thanks
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Known problem Oct 8, 2018

Dear Louise,

That's a well known and long-standing problem: Some users (such as I) experience term recognition to be basically useless. Trados support seems to suggest that these are exceptional cases, which of course doesn't help you if you're one of them.

Michael Beijer seems to be quite happy with a third party replacement. I haven't tried it yet. Look here:
... See more
Dear Louise,

That's a well known and long-standing problem: Some users (such as I) experience term recognition to be basically useless. Trados support seems to suggest that these are exceptional cases, which of course doesn't help you if you're one of them.

Michael Beijer seems to be quite happy with a third party replacement. I haven't tried it yet. Look here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/261254-studio_not_recognizing_terms_its_driving_me_nuts-page2.html#2745845
Collapse

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2018

Thank you Erik.
What a faf, four years and still no fix. So I will not upgrade to 2019 straight away as it will not solve my problem. I will have a look at the suggested solution but I am not much of a techi.
Best wishes

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Move to another segment and then back Oct 8, 2018

Sometimes, when you confirm a segment and move to the next one, Studio does not react quickly enough, as if it doesn't understand that you're in a new segment. In my case, it helps placing the cursor in another segment, for example the previous one, and then placing it again into the segment where you're working. This helps Studio wake up and show the termbases.

Louise TAYLOR

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2018

Thank you Ekaterina.
It does seem to need a good shake now and then

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
yes, it's depressing; Studio term recognition = broken and unlikely to be fixed until they change it Oct 8, 2018

Term recognition has never worked reliably, and I doubt it ever will, until they switch to a modern underlying database technology for MultiTerm and Studio trembases. Hopefully if enough people keep complaining (!!!), sooner or later they will see the error of their ways. For the time being, I just use RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler as a Studio termbase replacement.

... See more
Term recognition has never worked reliably, and I doubt it ever will, until they switch to a modern underlying database technology for MultiTerm and Studio trembases. Hopefully if enough people keep complaining (!!!), sooner or later they will see the error of their ways. For the time being, I just use RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler as a Studio termbase replacement.

I also just reviewed it @ https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/

Michael
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler: What language combinations? Oct 8, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:
For the time being, I just use RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler as a Studio termbase replacement.
I also just reviewed it @ https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/
Michael

This sounds like a nice utility. I wonder, though: can it be used for any language combinations? It talks about Chinese and English, but I guess that only is referring to the user interface and not the language pairs it can be used for?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term base entries are not recognised

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »