Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
SDL Studio: I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2018

There, got that out of my system.

I have a permanent warning/reminder on my whiteboard that says "NEVER USE STUDIO AGAIN!" because every single time I use the program, something goes wrong at the very end, once I've finished translating, and I end up having to google thousands of error reports and waste a ton of my time.

IMG_3699

I hate this program with a passion. The only reason I use it is because a lot of clients (agencies) own it and are stuck with it.

Michael

toasty
Minji Kim
Luca Tutino
Clara Sarmiento
Janet Muehlbacher
Dmitrii Kashkan
Damien Poussier

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Mar 14, 2018

...as usual, I am now going to waste at least an hour trying to get my darned project to open, so I can generate the stupid Return package so I can send it to my client. And all this while I need to start on my next job, thankfully one I don't have to use Studio for.

Capture

Anyone know what to do when you get told:

"Cannot validate SDL plug-in: Sdl.ProjectAutomation.AutomaticTasks.WIPReport.WIPReportTask, Sdl.ProjectAutomation.AutomaticTasks.WIPReport, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888"?

Michael

Nikolay Novitskiy

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:35
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try this Mar 14, 2018

Just tell them the facts: you cannot work with the [unprintable]ing thing.

You can work with whatever tool suits you nice.

Generating packages shouldn't be your task anyway: you are a translator, not a PM.

Tom in London

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:35
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't let it ruin your entire day! Mar 14, 2018

Have you gone online on the sdl community for help?
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/7772

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL's paid support should be free, seeing as how the program is such a bugfest. Mar 14, 2018

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Have you gone online on the sdl community for help?
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/7772

Yeah, I'll try that, as usual. It's just that it is SO tedious, having to go ask for help in the Community forums pretty much every time I use the program. Their paid support should be free, seeing as how the program is such a bugfest.

Minji Kim
Luca Tutino

Rafael Ribeiro
Rafael Ribeiro
Brazil
Local time: 07:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Funny Mar 14, 2018

When I started working with OmegaT, I had problems like paragraphs gone to oblivion. Once I learned how to fix it, everything was fine. I discussed it with some translators. Most of them say OmegaT sucks and TRADOS is the best, but noone seems to be able to tell me why. Of course, I know that it is almost standard now. Still...

Nikolay Novitskiy

Kathryn Britton
Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Italian to English
MemoQ?? Mar 14, 2018

MemoQ and Studio are compatible so when I receive a package in Trados, I simply load it into MemoQ, work as normal and then when I create the return package, MemoQ kindly puts it back into Trados for me ....

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
~ Mar 14, 2018

Kathryn Britton wrote:

MemoQ and Studio are compatible so when I receive a package in Trados, I simply load it into MemoQ, work as normal and then when I create the return package, MemoQ kindly puts it back into Trados for me ....

Yeah, I do something similar: I translate Studio projects in Memsource these days (or CafeTran), but the weakest link is always once the files are back in Studio, to run a final check. It's amazing how often this goes wrong.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, solved it. Mar 14, 2018

As usual, the quickest way to solve the problem was to completely uninstall the Studio (using Revo Uninstaller, which removes EVERYTHING, also the stuff in your Windows registry), reinstall it, and then recreate the project and pretranslate it using a separate TM (which I always make sure I have when working with Studio packages/projects).

On to my next job now, thankfully in Memsource this time!

Michael

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Same here Mar 14, 2018

Kathryn Britton wrote:

That's what I've been doing for years as well. The client doesn't appear to even know I didn't use Studio.

[Edited at 2018-03-14 17:06 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
WOW! Mar 14, 2018

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

There, got that out of my system.

I have a permanent warning/reminder on my whiteboard that says "NEVER USE STUDIO AGAIN!" because every single time I use the program, something goes wrong at the very end, once I've finished translating, and I end up having to google thousands of error reports and waste a ton of my time.

IMG_3699

I hate this program with a passion. The only reason I use it is because a lot of clients (agencies) own it and are stuck with it.

Michael

Dear Michael,

I hardly dare to say it after reading your thread, but I am working with Studio since version 2009 (before that with Trados 2007), and I know nothing is perfect, but my Studio(s) (2014/2015) are working just fine. Sorry for the insult.

Could it maybe be you are doing something wrong? (I know hard to imagine, but still....)

Isn't 'hate' a bit too far fetched here?

[Edited at 2018-03-14 20:18 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
plug-ins Mar 14, 2018

"Cannot validate SDL plug-in: Sdl.ProjectAutomation.AutomaticTasks.WIPReport.WIPReportTask, Sdl.ProjectAutomation.AutomaticTasks.WIPReport, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888"?

Remove the plug-ins from Studio and use a vanilla version?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The SDL AppStore Home = a double-edged sword Mar 14, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Yeah, that is indeed often the source of the problems: plugins. Although the SDL AppStore is a great idea, and has many potential benefits, it can also result in an even more unstable program, which in Studio's case means a very unstable program indeed.

As I mentioned above though, I managed to solve the problem, this time, by doing the following:

As usual, the quickest way to solve the problem was to completely uninstall the Studio (using Revo Uninstaller, which removes EVERYTHING, also the stuff in your Windows registry), reinstall it, and then recreate the project and pretranslate it using a separate TM (which I always make sure I have when working with Studio packages/projects).

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Extirpation Mar 14, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Yeah, that is indeed often the source of the problems: plugins. Although the SDL AppStore is a great idea, and has many potential benefits, it can also result in an even more unstable program, which in Studio's case means a very unstable program indeed.

As I mentioned above though, I managed to solve the problem, this time, by doing the following:

Yes, I had read your solution (which is kind of radical, as per subject), however, like you, I too believe plug-ins might be causing added instability to an already "problematic" piece of... software, and, like you, I too don't particularly like Studio, or the fact it still (inexplicably) dominates the market... but in my case it's mostly because I find it unnecessarily complicated, bloated and cumbersome. In the past I've had my fair share of technical issues (tied to Java, Nalpeiron or whatnot), and that didn't certainly do any good to my general disposition toward it.

BTW, I'm still on 2015 with the upgrade to 2017 still pending (and I think I haven't used it in months anyway). I usually don't even bid if a client mentions Studio as THE required CAT tool, but I guess Kathryn and John have a point, although I think I'd feel very uneasy if I were to accept a "Trados-only" project and then work on it with another tool (MemoQ in my case)...

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Who is it that blames his tools again? Mar 15, 2018

Micheal your "NEVER AGIN" pic made me laugh but I reckon you just need to learn how to use it mate.

My experience is quite the opposite.
I started using SDLX when that came out in the dark ages, switched to Trados, then Studio, when the companies merged.

Personally I've never had any major problems with the programs, and any minor problems were often caused by hang-ups in the original file being processed, busted tables, stuff like that.

In my case
... See more
Micheal your "NEVER AGIN" pic made me laugh but I reckon you just need to learn how to use it mate.

My experience is quite the opposite.
I started using SDLX when that came out in the dark ages, switched to Trados, then Studio, when the companies merged.

Personally I've never had any major problems with the programs, and any minor problems were often caused by hang-ups in the original file being processed, busted tables, stuff like that.

In my case if I get a MemoQ job I'll translate the mqxliff file in Studio, never had a problem with this, and I wouldn't touch Memsource even with a long pointy stick and thick rubber gloves on. I get about 10 mails a week from one client warning everyone their MemoQ server is up the spout, so if you're working with that online you're fu......ed, but do I care with my good old trusty Studio on my own computer at home? Naaaah.
But, then again, maybe I should learn to use more tools.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio: I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »