How to exclude the word count of locked segments from the total word count?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 22:14
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 12, 2016

Hi experts,

I have Trados Studio 2015. Could you please tell me whether the word count of locked segments is also displayed in the total word count in the project created by us? The word count mentioned by my client and the word count shown in project created is quite different as there is a difference of thousands of words. Is there any method to exclude the word count of locked segments from the total word count so that one may become aware of the actual words to be translated
... See more
Hi experts,

I have Trados Studio 2015. Could you please tell me whether the word count of locked segments is also displayed in the total word count in the project created by us? The word count mentioned by my client and the word count shown in project created is quite different as there is a difference of thousands of words. Is there any method to exclude the word count of locked segments from the total word count so that one may become aware of the actual words to be translated?

Regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:44
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Analysis setting in batch tasks Sep 12, 2016

Go to analysis under batch tasks.

If you tick "Report locked segments as a separate category", they'll be reported separately.
If you tick the box "exclude locked segments from analysis" under analysis in batch tasks, they'll be excluded.

So, you still may not know how your client reached their word count, but at least you can run your own check and compare notes.

Jo Macdonald

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 22:14
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Sep 12, 2016

Thanks for suggesting the solution, it has solved the problem.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

But it is somewhat surprising when you say:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

So, you still may not know how your client reached their word count, but at least you can run your own check and compare notes.

If my client has used Trados (he certainly has done so because he has locked a number of segments) like me, why will his word count differ from my word count?

Regards,

Chopra

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Difference from locked segments or word count method? Sep 13, 2016

chopra_2002 wrote:

If my client has used Trados (he certainly has done so because he has locked a number of segments) like me, why will his word count differ from my word count?

The word counts will differ depending on whether those locked segments have been included in the word count or not, and also depending on the tool and version used to do the word count. Word, Trados 2007, Studio versions pre 2014 SP2 and Studio versions post 2014 SP2 will all give different word counts.
For more details on how numbers, dates and hyphens are counted, read Paul Filkin's post:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/11/13/wordcount/

Hope this helps,
Emma

David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Japanese to English
Excluding Locked Segments from Character Count in Editor View Aug 13, 2018

Hi all,

On a related note, why is it that we still can't exclude locked segments from the Not Translated character count in Editor view? I want to know how much work I have left, not how long the document is.

As a workaround, I've been told to change the status of locked segments to Translated, but I don't generally have permission to do that from the customer.

David Petersen

Constance Mannshardt
Elizabeth Spacilova

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Wip report and cursor position May 18, 2019

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

If you tick "Report locked segments as a separate category", they'll be reported separately.
If you tick the box "exclude locked segments from analysis" under analysis in batch tasks, they'll be excluded.

Thanks for the tip Emma.
Another way of judging progress with a lot of locked segments is to hide the locked segments with a filter, then the scroll cursor on the right vertical scroll bar of the editor will give you a fairly accurate idea of what your progress is with the job. If its half way down the scroll bar you're about half way through translating the unlocked segments for example, if the locked segments are hidden of course. I just checked this by generating a Wip report under batch tasks and excluding the locked segments, and the results confirmed the progress shown by the cursor in the vertical scroll bar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to exclude the word count of locked segments from the total word count?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »