How to change the friendly name of an existing termbase - Multiterm 2014
Thread poster: Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2015

Hello, can somebody help me change the friendly name of a termbase under Multiterm 2014? When I open it in the Desktop application and click 'Termbase Management', the only two options I have, that are not greyed out, is to reorganize or to delete the termbase. The navigation pane is all in grey, too, where, in my opinion, I should have the available termbases listed. All I see are the statistics for a specific TB, but I cannot switch between those that are already loaded.

My licen
... See more
Hello, can somebody help me change the friendly name of a termbase under Multiterm 2014? When I open it in the Desktop application and click 'Termbase Management', the only two options I have, that are not greyed out, is to reorganize or to delete the termbase. The navigation pane is all in grey, too, where, in my opinion, I should have the available termbases listed. All I see are the statistics for a specific TB, but I cannot switch between those that are already loaded.

My licence is a Freelance Plus one.
Collapse

Ulrich Schramm

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reiterating my question Nov 2, 2015

No suggestions? Nice guys from SDL?

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:52
German to English
You could try ... Nov 2, 2015

exporting the termbase, then create a new one with the friendly name that you want and import the file that you exported. It's not ideal but a workaround.

Ben

Ulrich Schramm

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too complicated for a simple renaming action Nov 2, 2015

Thanks Ben,

Indeed, too complicated. There should be a much easier way, like for instance the renaming of a file. I prefer to live with the current name, instead of losing time to export and then import. But I am still wondering, there should be such a function hidden somewhere.

Ulrich Schramm

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
Very True Nov 2, 2015

That's very true Ekaterina and I also think that there should be a simple way of doing it. But it's just the same with translation memories too, you can't edit the name.

Let's hope SDL see this and do something about it, it can't be that difficult.

Ben

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same for project names Nov 2, 2015

In this line of thought, I would be glad to have the option to rename a project from within the Project view.

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
How about ... Nov 2, 2015

First open your termbase in MultiTerm.
In the Catalog Categories pane on the left right click on Definition and select Edit.
Click the Next button.
Edit the Friendly Name field.
Keep clicking next and then Finish.

I have just tried it out and did the renaming in a few seconds.

Ben

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
To rename a project ... Nov 2, 2015

In the Projects window select the project and then click on the Project Settings button.
Select Project in the left hand pane and edit the project name in the Name field.

Ben

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project renaming worked fine Nov 2, 2015

Wow, awesome! I renamed a project and it worked! Thanks a lot!

However, in Multiterm I don't see any Definition option. My left pane has only these two: Terms and Termbase Management and I don't see anything like Catalog Categories where this Definition could appear.

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Nov 2, 2015

Sorry, I've just found it. Will try your suggestion now.

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And it worked! Nov 2, 2015

Ben, thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions, I succeeded to rename the TB friendly name. I will probably have to restart Studio now, as the termbase is still appearing under its former name in the Editor, although it shows with its new one in the project settings.

Many thanks again!

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
;-) Nov 2, 2015

Only too glad that I could help.

Ben

Yves Lanthier
Yves Lanthier
Canada
Local time: 14:52
English to French
Thanks! Nov 29, 2015

Thank you Ekaterina for the question and Ben for the answer (well, both chronologically and women first ;) )

[Modifié le 2015-11-29 23:26 GMT]

Yves Lanthier
Yves Lanthier
Canada
Local time: 14:52
English to French
(Addon to Thanks!) Nov 29, 2015

I've changed the name in the client's folder too, though. I wonder what would have happened if I had not. It would have changed by itself?

Ulrich Schramm
Ulrich Schramm
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
for SDL 2019 does not work Nov 24, 2019

Cannot find "Catalog Categories".
Try the export - import, but don´t feel good

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change the friendly name of an existing termbase - Multiterm 2014

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »