How do I turn off the stupid "protected tags" thing once and for all?!?
Thread poster: Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:07
French to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2015

Trados Studio 2014.
According to this -- http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Screen_Layout/Menus_Toolbars/Format_Menu.htm -- I'm supposed to go to a "Format" menu and turn off the "Protect Tags" option.

What I actually see in the menu ribbon at the top of Studio 2014 (in "Advanced") is an item
... See more
Trados Studio 2014.
According to this -- http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Screen_Layout/Menus_Toolbars/Format_Menu.htm -- I'm supposed to go to a "Format" menu and turn off the "Protect Tags" option.

What I actually see in the menu ribbon at the top of Studio 2014 (in "Advanced") is an item marked "Protect Tags" but which I cannot unselect.

Can somebody tell me where the actual option is/what I'm doing wrong before I go and insert a large garden gnome into somebody. Many thanks!
Collapse

Sophia Sakellis

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:07
French to German
+ ...
This setting is OFF by default Jul 13, 2015

Neil

I wonder how you managed to have this setting ON. Did you click on it inadvertently? In that case, you should be able to revert this.

What happens when you close the document and open it again? Or better, open the source file for translation again (creating a new project, not using the existing one).

I have never seen this setting On unless someone deliberately clicked on the icon. It cannot be set automatically as it is not a global or project-specifi
... See more
Neil

I wonder how you managed to have this setting ON. Did you click on it inadvertently? In that case, you should be able to revert this.

What happens when you close the document and open it again? Or better, open the source file for translation again (creating a new project, not using the existing one).

I have never seen this setting On unless someone deliberately clicked on the icon. It cannot be set automatically as it is not a global or project-specific setting.

What is the file format of the document you have this problem with?

Walter
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Probably another one of those nonsense predefined keyboard shortcuts for commands rarely used Aug 24, 2015

I probably hit the wrong keys, now I have exactly the same symptoms and am stuck.
Reopen document?
Restart Trados?
Restart Windows?
Upgrade

Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Solution: temporarily adding a shortcut for "Protect Tags" Aug 24, 2015

I did not seem to have a shortcut for tag protection, so I don't know how this could be checked. However manually adding a shortcut for "Protect Tags" in the Editor options creates a toggling command, which can be used to lift the protection.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why don't you create one? Aug 24, 2015

If you go to the list of Keyboard Shortcuts (always worth spending five mins just to see what's in there) you'll find that command is there but with no default shortcut assigned. Add one and then you can toggle it on and off at will.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

bobhinch
bobhinch
German to English
+ ...
Same here Jul 24, 2016

I have exactly the same problem, i.e. this supposed toggle switch for "Protect Tags" doesn't work. Is there any other way to remove a protected tag in the source segment?

Bob

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same problem Sep 5, 2016

Tag protection is permanently on and I cannot see anything to turn it off.
I have tried looking at the list of short cuts, but none appears to deal with toggling tag protection.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Keyboard shortcut worked Jan 3, 2018

I've just had this same problem in a memoQ xliff file I'd imported, which I was editing in Review mode. Two segments stubbornly refused to let me accept the changes at the end, giving me the "Cannot edit protected tags" message. However, I'm pleased to say that creating a new Keyboard shortcut for Protect Tags, as suggested by Paul, and toggling it off worked. Phew - thank goodness!

Ze Liu

Ze Liu
Ze Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:07
English to Chinese
It works well, thank all of you! Feb 19, 2019

Creating a shotcut works well. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I turn off the stupid "protected tags" thing once and for all?!?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »